Professional Web Applications Themes

Physical backup/recovery between different platforms? - Oracle Server

Hi there, I am using Oracle V7.3.4.4 on AIX with datafiles on logical volumes, so running what's called "on raw device" (using the rlv's). I can perform physical backup and restore/recoveries from AIX onto another AIX. I wondered, if I could restore/recover onto another OS platform (like Solaris, HP) when using lvm on the destination platform also (having the same Oracle version at hand). I guess, it's just a question of how big the lvm header info is the OS uses to manage the lvm itself. Anyone has any experience on this? Thanks a lot for any comment. Best Regards, ...

  1. #1

    Default Physical backup/recovery between different platforms?

    Hi there,
    I am using Oracle V7.3.4.4 on AIX with
    datafiles on logical volumes, so running
    what's called "on raw device" (using the rlv's).

    I can perform physical backup and restore/recoveries
    from AIX onto another AIX.

    I wondered, if I could restore/recover onto another
    OS platform (like Solaris, HP) when using lvm on
    the destination platform also (having the same
    Oracle version at hand).
    I guess, it's just a question of how big the lvm
    header info is the OS uses to manage the lvm itself.

    Anyone has any experience on this?

    Thanks a lot for any comment.

    Best Regards,
    Igor

    mailto:imerkuacegas.ts.it
    mailto:igormerku.org
    Merku Guest

  2. #2

    Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:36:39 +0100, Merku said (and I quote):

    > I wondered, if I could restore/recover onto another
    > OS platform (like Solaris, HP) when using lvm on
    > the destination platform also (having the same
    > Oracle version at hand).
    No.
    > I guess, it's just a question of how big the lvm
    > header info is the OS uses to manage the lvm itself.
    Not just. It has to do as well with big-endian and little-endian
    architecture.

    --
    Cheers
    Nuno Souto

  3. #3

    Use import/export entire database to move to different platforms. You
    must have the full_export_database permissions.
    joseph Guest

  4. #4

    Nobody's tried to, because nobody can. Different platforms? Forget it. The
    datfile structure is platform specific. End of story.

    HJR

    "Merku" <imerkuacegas.ts.it> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    > I am using Oracle V7.3.4.4 on AIX with
    > datafiles on logical volumes, so running
    > what's called "on raw device" (using the rlv's).
    >
    > I can perform physical backup and restore/recoveries
    > from AIX onto another AIX.
    >
    > I wondered, if I could restore/recover onto another
    > OS platform (like Solaris, HP) when using lvm on
    > the destination platform also (having the same
    > Oracle version at hand).
    > I guess, it's just a question of how big the lvm
    > header info is the OS uses to manage the lvm itself.
    >
    > Anyone has any experience on this?
    >
    > Thanks a lot for any comment.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Igor
    >
    > mailto:imerkuacegas.ts.it
    > mailto:igormerku.org

    Howard J. Rogers Guest

  5. #5

    > 1) Please do not cross-post
    All right, sorry.
    > 2) Why would you expect binary files to be compatible accross
    Because it is a binary file used by a specific program in a specific
    version. Why should Oracle (in this case) use different binary file formats
    (for its datafiles) from platform to platform?
    > plan text files can require conversion such as the fact UNIX ends text
    In this case I am sticking to Unix.

    Thanks Mark.

    Have a nice day,
    Igor

    Igor Guest

  6. #6

    [Fup2 ignored and reset because comp.database.oracle doesn't exist]

    On 2002-12-17 14:46, Igor <imerkuacegas.ts.it> wrote:
    >> 1) Please do not cross-post
    > All right, sorry.
    >
    >> 2) Why would you expect binary files to be compatible accross
    > Because it is a binary file used by a specific program in a specific
    > version. Why should Oracle (in this case) use different binary file formats
    > (for its datafiles) from platform to platform?
    Because the platforms use different binary formats: AIX runs on PowerPCs
    which are AFAIK big-endian (i.e., they store the most significant byte
    (the "big end") of multi-byte values first) while your Linux box
    probably has an Intel processor (or compatible) which is little-endian.

    There may be other differences, too (e.g., 32 bit vs. 64 bit, or
    OS-specific data).

    It is (relatively) simple to design a binary file format which is
    portable among platforms whithout adding a lot of overhead, but that
    obviously wasn't a design criterium for Oracle.
    >> plan text files can require conversion such as the fact UNIX ends text
    > In this case I am sticking to Unix.
    All Unixes are not created equal :-)

    hp

    --
    _ | Peter J. Holzer | Schlagfertigkeit ist das, was einem
    |_|_) | Sysadmin WSR | auf dem Nachhauseweg einfällt.
    | | | [email]hjphjp.at[/email] | -- Lars 'Cebewee' Noschinski in dasr.
    __/ | [url]http://www.hjp.at/[/url] |
    Peter J. Holzer Guest