Professional Web Applications Themes

Physical restore that doesn't require a logical restore - Informix

Hi! How do I ensure that my physical restore, onbar -r -p, isn't followed by a logical restore, i. e. followed by applying the logical logs since the last full or incremental backup? I want to use this in database server migration, as an imported restore, and I want the migration to be as fast as possible. The copied/migrated database server should be used in a test environment so I can cope without the data since the last backup. Regards Christian Eriksson...

  1. #1

    Default Physical restore that doesn't require a logical restore

    Hi!

    How do I ensure that my physical restore, onbar -r -p, isn't followed by
    a logical restore, i. e. followed by applying the logical logs since the
    last full or incremental backup? I want to use this in database server
    migration, as an imported restore, and I want the migration to be as
    fast as possible. The copied/migrated database server should be used in
    a test environment so I can cope without the data since the last backup.

    Regards Christian Eriksson

    Christian Eriksson Guest

  2. #2

    After the physical restore completes bring the engine online using
    onmode -m.

    System should do fast recovery and come up.

    Mark

    > How do I ensure that my physical restore, onbar -r -p, isn't followed by
    > a logical restore, i. e. followed by applying the logical logs since the
    > last full or incremental backup? I want to use this in database server
    > migration, as an imported restore, and I want the migration to be as
    > fast as possible. The copied/migrated database server should be used in
    > a test environment so I can cope without the data since the last backup.
    >
    > Regards Christian Eriksson

    sending to informix-list
    Mark Denham Guest

  3. #3

    Christian,
    On your test system delete all logical log backups and delete all
    logical log entries from the ixbar.# file that occured AFTER the last
    dbspace backup you are recovering from.
    Run onbar -r -l, it will not find any logs so it will go into fast
    recovery.
    Once recovered run onmode -m

    Regards,
    David

    "Mark Denham" <mkdenhamcomcast.net> wrote in message news:<bj63h8$nue$1terabinaries.xmission.com>...
    > After the physical restore completes bring the engine online using
    > onmode -m.
    >
    > System should do fast recovery and come up.
    >
    > Mark

    David Summers Guest

  4. #4

    Hi!

    How can I delete all logical log backups? Delete them from the Networker
    server? I don't understand what to do here!

    When is the ixbar.# file used by the engine and onbar respectively?

    I will try what you suggest when I understand more about the entries in
    the ixbar.# file!

    Regards Christian

    David Summers wrote:
    > Christian,
    > On your test system delete all logical log backups and delete all
    > logical log entries from the ixbar.# file that occured AFTER the last
    > dbspace backup you are recovering from.
    > Run onbar -r -l, it will not find any logs so it will go into fast
    > recovery.
    > Once recovered run onmode -m
    >
    > Regards,
    > David
    >

    > "Mark Denham" <mkdenhamcomcast.net> wrote in message news:<bj63h8$nue$1terabinaries.xmission.com>...
    >
    >>After the physical restore completes bring the engine online using
    >>onmode -m.
    >>
    >>System should do fast recovery and come up.
    >>
    >>Mark

    Christian Eriksson Guest

  5. #5

    I did that but then this happened (from the message log):

    15:58:54 Physical Restore of felisia_db01 Completed.
    15:58:54 Checkpoint Completed: duration was 0 seconds.
    15:58:54 Checkpoint loguniq 5720, logpos 0x18

    16:10:39 No logical log restore will be performed.
    16:10:39 Preparing Physical Log for Fast Recovery ...
    16:10:51 Preparing Logical Logs for Fast Recovery ...
    16:10:57 Physical Recovery Started.
    16:10:58 Physical Recovery Complete: 0 Pages Restored.
    16:10:58 Logical Recovery Started.
    16:10:58 Checkpoint Record not Found in Logical Log.
    16:11:00 Cannot Rollforward from Checkpoint.
    16:11:01 Informix Dynamic Server Stopped.
    16:11:01 mt_shm_remove: WARNING: may not have removed all/correct
    segments

    What did I do wrong?

    Regards Christian Eriksson

    PS. Before this restore I deleted all the logical log entries after
    the last backup from the ixbar.<servernum> file. The ixbar.<servernum>
    file was copied from the host I'm importing from. Did the delete of
    the logical log entries cause the "No logical log restore will be
    performed."? DS.

    "Mark Denham" <mkdenhamcomcast.net> wrote in message news:<bj63h8$nue$1terabinaries.xmission.com>...
    > After the physical restore completes bring the engine online using
    > onmode -m.
    >
    > System should do fast recovery and come up.
    >
    > Mark

    Christian Eriksson Guest

  6. #6

    [email]c-eriksalgonet.se[/email] (Christian Eriksson) wrote in message news:<d0d6f67c.0309221303.61cc41f1posting.google. com>...
    > I did that but then this happened (from the message log):
    >
    > 15:58:54 Physical Restore of felisia_db01 Completed.
    > 15:58:54 Checkpoint Completed: duration was 0 seconds.
    > 15:58:54 Checkpoint loguniq 5720, logpos 0x18
    >
    > 16:10:39 No logical log restore will be performed.
    > 16:10:39 Preparing Physical Log for Fast Recovery ...
    > 16:10:51 Preparing Logical Logs for Fast Recovery ...
    > 16:10:57 Physical Recovery Started.
    > 16:10:58 Physical Recovery Complete: 0 Pages Restored.
    > 16:10:58 Logical Recovery Started.
    > 16:10:58 Checkpoint Record not Found in Logical Log.
    > 16:11:00 Cannot Rollforward from Checkpoint.
    > 16:11:01 Informix Dynamic Server Stopped.
    > 16:11:01 mt_shm_remove: WARNING: may not have removed all/correct
    > segments
    >
    > What did I do wrong?
    >
    > Regards Christian Eriksson
    >
    > PS. Before this restore I deleted all the logical log entries after
    > the last backup from the ixbar.<servernum> file. The ixbar.<servernum>
    > file was copied from the host I'm importing from. Did the delete of
    > the logical log entries cause the "No logical log restore will be
    > performed."? DS.
    >
    > "Mark Denham" <mkdenhamcomcast.net> wrote in message news:<bj63h8$nue$1terabinaries.xmission.com>...
    > > After the physical restore completes bring the engine online using
    > > onmode -m.
    > >
    > > System should do fast recovery and come up.
    > >
    > > Mark

    Christian,

    You can only perform a physical-only restore from so-called "whole
    system" backups, taken using the "-w" flag, e.g., "onbar -b -w". With
    this option onbar backs up all dbspaces sequentially, and probably
    tacks on blocks that changed during the backup at the end. It is then
    possible to restore the database to a consistent point without
    applying logical logs.

    Alternatively, you can ask onbar to restore to a point-in-time, or to
    stop after applying a particular logical log number. This log number
    of course cannot be earlier than what your current log was at the time
    your backup finished.

    Cheers
    Gabor
    Gabor Heppes Guest

  7. #7

    Hi,
    if you try to move data from a host to another, you MUST perform a
    backup with -w option, this option is for whole backups. The Restore
    must also be performed with the option -w.

    You can try perform a Restore with the option time-of-point.
    Regards
    Glenn

    glenn cummings Guest