Professional Web Applications Themes

pictures won't come up in AOL... - Web Design

I created a website using Microsoft Publisher. The text and pictures load fine into my browser. However, when others attempt to view the site using AOL, the pictures don't load. Does anyone know why this behavior might occur? Thanks, RAB_Missouri...

  1. #1

    Default pictures won't come up in AOL...

    I created a website using Microsoft Publisher. The text and pictures
    load fine into my browser. However, when others attempt to view the
    site using AOL, the pictures don't load. Does anyone know why this
    behavior might occur?

    Thanks,
    RAB_Missouri
    RAB_Missouri Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: pictures won't come up in AOL...

    The URL is [url]www.JanisLovesRichard.com[/url] and the version of Microsoft Publisher is 2003.

    Thanks,
    RAB_Missouri

    "David Bartosik MSFT MVP" <DavidBartosikMSFTMVPdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<9EE22324-3B37-46DB-A981-6A700A629978microsoft.com>...
    > Would need to know the version of Publisher and the site url to make any suggestions.
    > --
    > David Bartosik - MSFT MVP
    > for Publisher help:
    > [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]
    > enter to win Pub 2003:
    > [url]www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx[/url]
    >

    > "RAB_Missouri" wrote:
    >
    > > I created a website using Microsoft Publisher. The text and pictures
    > > load fine into my browser. However, when others attempt to view the
    > > site using AOL, the pictures don't load. Does anyone know why this
    > > behavior might occur?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > RAB_Missouri

    RAB_Missouri Guest

  3. #3

    I can view the site fine in my IE. Unfortunately AOL does a lot of stuff
    with images in order to create the illusion of faster download speed. With
    version 2003 your options are to go to tools, options and unselect the VML
    and PNG settings. Delete the old files and then resave the site so
    Publisher writes code without those options in the new files. Afterwards
    take a look at the list of new images it generates, if you still have png
    images post back.

    --
    David Bartosik - MS MVP
    for Publisher help:
    [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]
    enter to win Pub 2003:
    [url]www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx[/url]

    news:c9aa6a3f.0407151536.2898f5edposting.google.c om...

    wrote in message
    > > Would need to know the version of Publisher and the site url to make any
    suggestions.
    > > --
    > > David Bartosik - MSFT MVP
    > > for Publisher help:
    > > [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]
    > > enter to win Pub 2003:
    > > [url]www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx[/url]
    > >

    > > "RAB_Missouri" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I created a website using Microsoft Publisher. The text and pictures
    > > > load fine into my browser. However, when others attempt to view the
    > > > site using AOL, the pictures don't load. Does anyone know why this
    > > > behavior might occur?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > RAB_Missouri

    David Bartosik MS MVP Guest

  4. #4

    When I went to tools | options -> web tab...VML and PNG were already
    unselected. Is there anything else I can do to allow the web page to
    be viewed on an AOL browser?

    Thanks,
    RAB_Missouri

    "David Bartosik MS MVP" <forumsdavidbartosik.com> wrote in message news:<#ju03xzaEHA.2944TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > I can view the site fine in my IE. Unfortunately AOL does a lot of stuff
    > with images in order to create the illusion of faster download speed. With
    > version 2003 your options are to go to tools, options and unselect the VML
    > and PNG settings. Delete the old files and then resave the site so
    > Publisher writes code without those options in the new files. Afterwards
    > take a look at the list of new images it generates, if you still have png
    > images post back.
    >
    > --
    > David Bartosik - MS MVP
    > for Publisher help:
    > [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]
    > enter to win Pub 2003:
    > [url]www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx[/url]
    >

    > "RAB_Missouri" <rabmissouri> wrote in message
    > news:c9aa6a3f.0407151536.2898f5edposting.google.c om...
    > > The URL is [url]www.JanisLovesRichard.com[/url] and the version of Microsoft
    > Publisher is 2003.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > RAB_Missouri
    > >

    > > "David Bartosik MSFT MVP" <DavidBartosikMSFTMVPdiscussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message
    > > > Would need to know the version of Publisher and the site url to make any
    > suggestions.
    > > > --
    > > > David Bartosik - MSFT MVP
    > > > for Publisher help:
    > > > [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]
    > > > enter to win Pub 2003:
    > > > [url]www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx[/url]

    RAB_Missouri Guest

  5. #5

    I see your pictures just fine with AOL and MSIE. However, AOL has security
    settings for webpages and images that are controlled on individual systems.
    So unless the user has allowed the viewing of images, turned off parental
    controls, etc. you may not see some images. Your question needs to be
    directed to AOL, it is not a Publisher question.
    JB

    news:c9aa6a3f.0407161956.1f600f8bposting.google.c om...

    John Bowen Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for your help JB!

    I am not so sure it is not a publisher question for the following
    reason. Why do some AOL browsers have a problem with my HTML code
    generated by Publisher but do not have a problem with...yahoo's HTML
    code, for example. One thing I noticed is my background images are in
    ..gif format and my pictures that have trouble loading in some people's
    AOL browser is in the .jpeg format. Would this be creating the
    problem?

    Thanks,
    RAB_Missouri

    RAB_Missouri Guest

  7. #7

    You can't compare Publisher code to anything. Let alone a generator like
    yahoo's. Take a look at my article [url]http://www.davidbartosik.com/pub11.htm[/url] to
    get more info on Publisher coding.
    Gif's and jpegs are both web standards that should have full browser
    support.
    Both AOL does do it's own thing with graphics, I just know that from stuff
    I've read I have no experience with it. I'd call this a dual issue, it's a
    Pub issue in that Pub writes some very complex stuff designed to show off
    the power of the Windows Internet Explorer 6, that you can't do anything
    about other than not use the product, and it's an AOL issue in that the
    product does proprietary stuff with sites and graphics that in the end can
    change what's loaded, and I'm sure that differs by version. You haven't even
    mentioned versioning in AOL, just making broad statements.
    But it comes down to if you can't get a result that works for you from
    Pub2003 after turning off png and vml then don't use it, as that's the only
    control over output you get.

    --
    David Bartosik - MS MVP
    for Publisher help:
    [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]
    enter to win Pub 2003:
    [url]www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx[/url]

    news:c9aa6a3f.0407190422.5e066625posting.google.c om...

    David Bartosik MS MVP Guest