Professional Web Applications Themes

Piggybacking --technical and ethical questions - Mac Networking

In article <prodigy.net>, James L. Ryan <com> wrote:   > > But the "owner" is also paying for the connection to the internet. At the > very least the person "freeloading" should offer to split the connection > bill.[/ref] Most TOS specifically prohibit reselling the service, and this would almost certainly count. -- Barry Margolin, mit.edu Arlington, MA *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***...

  1. #21

    Default Re: Piggybacking --technical and ethical questions

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  2. #22

    In article <west.cox.net>, Michelle
    Steiner <org> wrote:

    > > As an amateur radio operator I would dispute that assumption. Waves
    > > is waves is waves.[/ref]
    >
    > Um, as an amateur radio operator, you receive waves that were designed
    > for anyone and everyone to receive. That is not necessarily true with
    > WiFi.[/ref]

    there are encrypted amateur radio signals which are not intended for
    anyone and everyone to receive.

    if you want to prevent unintended users from using a 802.11 base
    station, then encrypt the signal.

    if you don't want someone using it, don't send it to them. if a signal
    enters their property and even their body, why can't they use it?

    if essentially no effort is required to do so (for instance, a normal
    configuration is for the computer to automatically lock onto a wireless
    signal), what evidence do they have that it *isn't* a public network?

    it is the same concept as if you don't want people nearby to hear what
    you are saying, don't shout.
    nospam Guest

  3. #23

    Entity nospam spoke thus:

    Wrong. Encryption of Amateur signals is not allowed. You are allowed
    encoding and decoding according to standard schemes but not encryption.

    Good point. Remember that guy a few years ago that got prosecuted for
    cursing in a boat on a lake? Guess he should have encrypted his expletives.

    -- K5ZN
    http://www.qsl.net/k5zn/

    Gnarlodious Guest

  4. #24

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:56:29 -0500, Barry Margolin wrote
    (in article <dca.giganews.com>):

    [responding to my suggestion that the person "borrowing" his neighbors
    connection should split the cost]

    Good point, but how does this apply to different users in the same household
    sharing the same connection?

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    James Guest

  5. #25

    In article <prodigy.net>,
    James L. Ryan <com> wrote:

    > Good point, but how does this apply to different users in the same household
    > sharing the same connection?[/ref]

    They're generally considered to be one customer, just like people in the
    same household sharing a cable TV connection. The prohibition is
    usually to selling to third parties, which means someone not living with
    you.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  6. #26

    Entity James L. Ryan spoke thus:

    > Good point, but how does this apply to different users in the same household
    > sharing the same connection?[/ref]
    I'm not too sure. Earthlink offers an optional "home networking" package
    with ADSL that includes a wireless router. To my knowledge it is unsecured
    by default.
    I find it hard to believe ISP's are encouraging customers to violate their
    TOS.

    -- Gnarlie

    Gnarlodious Guest

  7. #27

    Gnarlodious <invalid.> wrote in

    Actually, in this situation, ISPs can only turn to themselves if someone
    hitchhikes on the wireless connection. Some twit in a suit thought it
    would be a good idea to charge a monthly fee to maintain a network, without
    considering that that would mean *they have to maintain the network*. This
    includes securing it. I have my own home network. I built it, I'm
    responsible for it. Those who have accepted the cable/satellite/whatever
    company's offer to set up and maintain a home network for it are NOT
    responsible if someone else comes along and leeches off of them, for the
    simple reason that it is not the CUSTOMER'S network they are leeching off
    of.

    com. Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
    Howard Guest

  8. #28

    nospam <invalid> wrote:

    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    > there are encrypted amateur radio signals which are not intended for
    > anyone and everyone to receive.[/ref]

    Really? When I studied for my ham license 30-odd years ago, encryption
    was a no-no. Have the rules changed that much since then?
    Alan Guest

  9. #29

    James L. Ryan wrote:

    > But the "owner" is also paying for the connection to the internet.[/ref]

    That is correct, James.

    What you have to remember, though, is that there is very little ethics in
    the world today. Take a close look at governments and businesses of today
    to see an ethicless scenario outplaying in full force.
    Cyber Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12