Professional Web Applications Themes

piles? - Mac Applications & Software

My gullibility combined with persistent rumors convinced me that 10.3 would include "piles", but it doesn't look like it. What happened?...

  1. #1

    Default piles?

    My gullibility combined with persistent rumors convinced me
    that 10.3 would include "piles", but it doesn't look like
    it. What happened?
    Lee Phillips Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: piles?

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:37:40 GMT, Lee Phillips
    <leeleeHYPHENphillips.org.invalid> wrote:
    >On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:49:44 -0700, Tom Harrington <tphpcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> has writ:
    >> In article <slrnbfhbcn.5rp.leebad-bart.lcp.nrl.navy.mil>,
    >> Lee Phillips <leeleeHYPHENphillips.org.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>> My gullibility combined with persistent rumors convinced me
    >>> that 10.3 would include "piles", but it doesn't look like
    >>> it. What happened?
    >>
    >> Maybe it was just a rumor, not based on good information?
    >>

    >Gee, you think? You might have a workable theory there.
    Piles - Expose.
    foo Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:09:24 GMT, foo <foobar.com> has writ:
    > Piles - Expose.
    You mean Piles = Expose? Not even close.
    Lee Phillips Guest

  4. #4

    Lee Phillips wrote:
    > You mean Piles = Expose? Not even close.
    He might mean that the rumor mongers confused them, but you're
    definitely right that there's no similarity between them. :)

    Steven Fisher Guest

  5. #5

    In article <slrnbfhbcn.5rp.leebad-bart.lcp.nrl.navy.mil>,
    Lee Phillips <leeleeHYPHENphillips.org.invalid> wrote:
    >My gullibility combined with persistent rumors convinced me
    >that 10.3 would include "piles", but it doesn't look like
    >it. What happened?
    Preparation H?

    --
    Matthew T. Russotto [email]mrussottospeakeasy.net[/email]
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  6. #6

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:28:16 GMT, Steven Fisher <sdfisherspamcop.net>
    wrote:
    >Lee Phillips wrote:
    >
    >> You mean Piles = Expose? Not even close.
    >
    >He might mean that the rumor mongers confused them, but you're
    >definitely right that there's no similarity between them. :)
    Piles is Expose, according to quite a few people:
    ___
    [url]http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1036539,00.asp[/url]
    In addition, sources said Panther will finally mark the debut of the
    much-discussed "piles" GUI design concept, which Apple patented in
    June 2001 . According to the patent, piles comprise collections of
    doents represented graphically in stacks. Users can browse the
    "piled" doents dynamically by pointing at them with the cursor; the
    filing system can then divide a pile into subpiles based on each
    doent's content. At the user's request, the filing system can
    automatically file away doents into existing piles with similar
    content.
    ____
    [url]http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/2226251[/url]
    As part of its love affair with graphics, Panther adds in Apple's
    "piles" GUI design concept. Now called Expose', the patented
    technology based on its Quartz Extreme engine allows users to brows
    collections of doents represented graphically in stacks. The filing
    system then divides into sub-piles based on each doent's content.
    __
    [url]http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/06/20030625223412.shtml[/url]
    Spymac notes a small mixup which supressed early information about
    Exposé and inadvertantly brought Piles to the forefront in the rumor
    scene.
    MacEdition first wrote about a new feature called "Piles" -- and even
    linked to weblog describing Apple's old patent -- Piles.
    MacEdition, however, went on to describe Exposé in the same article:
    Mac OS X 10.3 will finally see the implementation of the “piles”
    interface concept patented by Apple back in the dear, dead days of
    Copland but never delivered to the desktop. The feature, which has
    been lobbied for by Bruce Tognazzini and other interface curmudgeons,
    is designed to ease the clutter of windows in the Finder: The Blade’s
    sources indicate that extraneous windows will shrink and jump out of
    the way automatically, rearranging themselves into scaled-down tiles
    This description was later lost after more detailed descriptions of
    Apple's Piles Patent emerged, and overtook the rumors.
    _____
    [url]http://australia.internet.com/r/article/jsp/sid/13231?clicked=hottopics[/url]

  7. #7

    foo wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:28:16 GMT, Steven Fisher <sdfisherspamcop.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Lee Phillips wrote:
    >>

    >>>You mean Piles = Expose? Not even close.
    >>
    >>He might mean that the rumor mongers confused them, but you're
    >>definitely right that there's no similarity between them. :)
    >

    > Piles is Expose, according to quite a few people:
    They're wrong. There are doents available on piles, and Expose is not
    it. eWeek has the description of piles right, although Apple certainly
    hasn't indicated they'll be in Panther (or that they won't, but if you
    want to use this logic, Apple hasn't announced that Panther will run MS
    Windows apps natively either). InternetNews calls piles Expose while
    describing piles (it definitely isn't Expose -- the whole point of
    Expose as demonstrated so far is to rid the screen of stacking).
    Macrumors got it about 30% right. Australia.internet is half a world
    away from the truth.

    Steven Fisher Guest