Professional Web Applications Themes

Pioneer DVR-105 Compatibility? - Mac Applications & Software

I recently installed a Pioneer DVR-105 superdrive in my G4 dual 450 (gigabit ethernet) which has 512M of RAM. In most ways the drive has worked as expected. It reads and writes both CDs and DVDs from the finder, and I am now able to back up to DVD-RW from Retrospect using their latest driver update. I have not yet written a video DVD with it using iDVD2, but expect that will work too judging by news group reports some time ago. However I have found two situations where the drive seems to be incompatible. 1. If I restart holding ...

  1. #1

    Default Pioneer DVR-105 Compatibility?

    I recently installed a Pioneer DVR-105 superdrive in my G4 dual 450
    (gigabit ethernet) which has 512M of RAM.

    In most ways the drive has worked as expected. It reads and writes both
    CDs and DVDs from the finder, and I am now able to back up to DVD-RW
    from Retrospect using their latest driver update. I have not yet written
    a video DVD with it using iDVD2, but expect that will work too judging
    by news group reports some time ago.

    However I have found two situations where the drive seems to be
    incompatible.

    1. If I restart holding down the option key, Open Firmware hangs forever
    with a watch cursor. It correctly discovers any boot CD in the DVR-105,
    and my OS X and OS 9 boot volumes, but never switches to the pointer
    cursor which allows booting to continue. Presumably it is waiting for a
    bus response which never happens.

    2. If I boot from the Jaguar install CD, it finds no drives on which it
    can install Jaguar. This is probably another hung bus scan.

    Re-installing the original DVD-ROM drive solves both problems.

    I have 4 hard disks, 2 on the original controller and 2 on a SIIG
    SC-MP4A12 Ultra ATA 133 controller. I have not tried removing the third
    party controller since my OS X boot volume is connected to it.

    Has anyone else seen similar behaviour? Is there a workaround?

    It may be relevant that unlike my Western Digital hard drives, the
    DVR-105 has jumper positions for Master and Slave, but none for Only
    Drive. There is no second drive on its ATA bus.
    --
    .... Al Quirt ... Ottawa Canada ...
    .... Please remove anti-spam BIRD for email replies ...

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pioneer DVR-105 Compatibility?

    In article <HERONaquirt-C480AA.11125714072003news1.on.sympatico.ca>,
    Alan Quirt <HERONaquirtsympatico.ca> wrote:
    > I recently installed a Pioneer DVR-105 superdrive in my G4 dual 450
    > (gigabit ethernet) which has 512M of RAM.
    >
    > In most ways the drive has worked as expected. It reads and writes both
    > CDs and DVDs from the finder, and I am now able to back up to DVD-RW
    > from Retrospect using their latest driver update. I have not yet written
    > a video DVD with it using iDVD2, but expect that will work too judging
    > by news group reports some time ago.
    >
    > However I have found two situations where the drive seems to be
    > incompatible.
    >
    > 1. If I restart holding down the option key, Open Firmware hangs forever
    > with a watch cursor. It correctly discovers any boot CD in the DVR-105,
    > and my OS X and OS 9 boot volumes, but never switches to the pointer
    > cursor which allows booting to continue. Presumably it is waiting for a
    > bus response which never happens.
    >
    > 2. If I boot from the Jaguar install CD, it finds no drives on which it
    > can install Jaguar. This is probably another hung bus scan.
    >
    > Re-installing the original DVD-ROM drive solves both problems.
    >
    > I have 4 hard disks, 2 on the original controller and 2 on a SIIG
    > SC-MP4A12 Ultra ATA 133 controller. I have not tried removing the third
    > party controller since my OS X boot volume is connected to it.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen similar behaviour? Is there a workaround?
    >
    > It may be relevant that unlike my Western Digital hard drives, the
    > DVR-105 has jumper positions for Master and Slave, but none for Only
    > Drive. There is no second drive on its ATA bus.
    Update: Installed Jaguar using the original DVD-ROM drive, then ran the
    10.2.6 combo updater. Reinstalled the DVR-105, and both hangs are fixed.
    Does the Jaguar Install update the firmware?