Professional Web Applications Themes

Pismo battery reconditioning - Mac Portable

My PowerBook G3 Firewire (Pismo) has one of its two batteries that won't take a charge. It has been in the right bay for a while and was getting used first so it has way more cycles than the other one. One of the little freeware utilities reported numbers for max charge and actual charge that were in the thousands for the good battery, but less than 50 for the bad one. The bad battery does discharge and recharge within this small range. Apple has some utilities for such problems for the earlier PowerBooks but expressly says that they don't ...

  1. #1

    Default Pismo battery reconditioning

    My PowerBook G3 Firewire (Pismo) has one of its two batteries that won't
    take a charge. It has been in the right bay for a while and was getting
    used first so it has way more cycles than the other one.

    One of the little freeware utilities reported numbers for max charge and
    actual charge that were in the thousands for the good battery, but less
    than 50 for the bad one.

    The bad battery does discharge and recharge within this small range.

    Apple has some utilities for such problems for the earlier PowerBooks
    but expressly says that they don't apply to the Pismo.

    An Apple tech note said to run the bad battery down until the computer
    quit and then plug in the external power to recharge. I did that with
    only the bad battery installed and as in neared zero, the computer put
    itself to sleep and would not wake using the power button.

    I left it on the charger overnight and nothing improved. Should I have
    left the computer sleeping until the battery was completely drained? I
    have no idea how long that might have taken.

    I've also swapped the batteries into the opposite bays but that seems to
    make no difference.

    Best online price for a Pismo battery that I've seen online is $139 and
    my local repair shop starts with $40 just for walking in the door.

    --
    Ron
    Ron Parsons Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pismo battery reconditioning

    > Apple has some utilities for such problems for the earlier PowerBooks
    > but expressly says that they don't apply to the Pismo.
    On the G-Books list, a user recently reported that putting his Pismo
    battery in a Wallstreet/Lombard (?) and running the battery fixer,
    repaired the battery NVRAM so that it now charges and runs on the
    Pismo again.

    Due to the PowerBook's power management functions, it's not possible
    to "deep discharge" the battery except using a special utility, which
    Apple doesn't provide :/
    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards Guest

  3. #3

    In article <Pine.OSX.4.56.0308061128400.3854teraqny.sevanohy nk.bet>,
    Obfus Kataa <vapaafinhut.helsinki.fi> wrote:
    > On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 about 23:15 -0000 UTC John Johnson wrote:
    >
    > > johajohn AT indianahoosiers DOT edu
    >
    > > Remove the adjective to reply. Indiana is a noun.
    > -----------^^^^^^^^^----------------------^^^^^^
    > | |
    > You misspelled 'noun.' You misspelled 'an adjective.'
    My mistake. I was (incorrectly?) taught that a noun was (roughly) a
    "person, place, or thing." Indiana is certainly a place. Adjectives, as
    I understand them, describe or modify a noun. "Indiana" does not
    describe "Hoosier." Quite the reverse, in fact, as "Hoosier" is just a
    person from Indiana. As it happens, the phrase "indiana Hoosier" is
    redundant, if not ungrammatical, as there aren't Hoosiers from anywhere
    else.
    > Functionally, the word "Indiana" is an adjective in the phrase "Indiana
    > Hoosier." Just as "ant" is an adjective in "ant farm.">
    I would have thought that "ant" was an adjectival noun, but I must admit
    that I'm not as good at grammar as I would like.

    In any event, the goal was to obfuscate my e-mail address while enabling
    people to send me e-mail. As this objective has clearly failed, I will
    change my scheme. Hopefully the new terminology will be more successful.

    Thanks for pointing this out! I can't imagine how many people besides
    yourself were unable to send e-mail to me as a result of the confusion
    resulting from my mislabeling.

    --
    later.

    johajohn AT indianahoosiers DOT edu

    Remove the non place-name reply. Indiana is a place-name.
    John Johnson Guest

  4. #4

    Ben Gurion <invalides.spam.grabgmx.net> wrote:
    > Did you try any of those utilities that fake a machine's gestalt code,
    > like Wish i were or others?
    Yep, I used GestLab which can spoof most any gestalt selector,
    including of course 'mach'.

    and Lewin Edwards <larwelarwe.com> wrote:
    > There was some utility - I forget what it was - that only ran on the
    > non-PPC-upgraded PowerBook 520. I patched it to work on the upgraded
    > 520 just by searching every CODE resource for the non-upgrade Gestalt
    > ID and replacing with the upgrade. It worked... mind you I don't know
    > what other things happened :)
    That's about all I figured I'd be up against, however . . .
    > Pismo is a NewWorld machine, where Gestalt returns a generic value.
    you point to my problem. 'mach' just returns the generic New World 406
    value in both Pismo and Lombard, so I'm pretty darn sure that ain't the
    selector it's using.

    Oh well, I gave it my best shot. If anyone out there wants to take a
    krak at it I'll be happy to send you any Macsbug output you might need.

    Dan K
    Dan K Guest