Professional Web Applications Themes

pkginfo -l doesnt work - Sun Solaris

bash-2.05$ pkginfo -l pkginfo: ERROR: bad entry read in contents file pathname: /kernel/exec/sparcv9 problem: unable to read mode/owner/group What is the contents file that is being referred to? Assuming that its talking about /var/sdam/install/contents, I have 2 files named t.contents and contents with same time stamp. On an another Solaris 9 box I see only contents but not t.contents. bash-2.05$ ls -al /kernel/exec/sparcv9 total 106 drwxr-xr-x 2 root sys 512 Jul 10 10:14 . drwxr-xr-x 3 root sys 512 Jul 10 10:14 .. -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 7432 Apr 6 2002 aoutexec -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 38440 Apr 6 2002 ...

  1. #1

    Default pkginfo -l doesnt work

    bash-2.05$ pkginfo -l
    pkginfo: ERROR: bad entry read in contents file
    pathname: /kernel/exec/sparcv9
    problem: unable to read mode/owner/group

    What is the contents file that is being referred to?

    Assuming that its talking about /var/sdam/install/contents, I have 2
    files named t.contents and contents with same time stamp. On an
    another Solaris 9 box I see only contents but not t.contents.

    bash-2.05$ ls -al /kernel/exec/sparcv9
    total 106
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root sys 512 Jul 10 10:14 .
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root sys 512 Jul 10 10:14 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 7432 Apr 6 2002 aoutexec
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 38440 Apr 6 2002 elfexec
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 4664 Apr 6 2002 intpexec

    everthing else seems OK as of now. Any one can suggest some thing how
    to get this fixed?

    Thanks a lot,
    Nicole.
    Nicole Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: pkginfo -l doesnt work

    Approximately 9/30/03 18:32, Nicole Harvey uttered for posterity:

    Wonder if something copied contents to t.contents. The
    time stamps on the file and the new package directory
    of pretty much the same time might yield the culprit.

    If there is a corrupted line in the contents file, pkg commands
    no longer work. You'll need to check the file with vi in
    set list, as a missing or corrupted new line will do it.

    Err, and not that it is the best of all things to do, but I
    have errr, run a non-critical server for over a year with the
    /var/sadm/install/contents file from another similar but
    not identical system. Don't do this of course... but as
    a diagnostic measure, rename both of those files and copy
    in the file from the other server. And use the bourne shell,
    not bash.

    Lon Guest

  3. #3

    Lon Stowell <Net> wrote in message news:<bGqeb.1817$%h1.2144sccrnsc02>...

    > Wonder if something copied contents to t.contents. The
    > time stamps on the file and the new package directory
    > of pretty much the same time might yield the culprit.
    >
    > If there is a corrupted line in the contents file, pkg commands
    > no longer work. You'll need to check the file with vi in
    > set list, as a missing or corrupted new line will do it.
    >
    > Err, and not that it is the best of all things to do, but I
    > have errr, run a non-critical server for over a year with the
    > /var/sadm/install/contents file from another similar but
    > not identical system. Don't do this of course... but as
    > a diagnostic measure, rename both of those files and copy
    > in the file from the other server. And use the bourne shell,
    > not bash. [/ref]

    Thanks.. I used contents file from another server running solaris 9
    and it works fine, Hope It wouldnt cause more problems down the lane.
    But why would the contents file get corrupted? I mean as a result of
    what kind of operations??
    Nicole Guest

  4. #4

    Approximately 10/1/03 13:08, Nicole Harvey uttered for posterity:

    >> Wonder if something copied contents to t.contents. The
    >> time stamps on the file and the new package directory
    >> of pretty much the same time might yield the culprit.
    >>
    >> If there is a corrupted line in the contents file, pkg commands
    >> no longer work. You'll need to check the file with vi in
    >> set list, as a missing or corrupted new line will do it.
    >>
    >> Err, and not that it is the best of all things to do, but I
    >> have errr, run a non-critical server for over a year with the
    >> /var/sadm/install/contents file from another similar but
    >> not identical system. Don't do this of course... but as
    >> a diagnostic measure, rename both of those files and copy
    >> in the file from the other server. And use the bourne shell,
    >> not bash. [/ref]
    >

    > Thanks.. I used contents file from another server running solaris 9
    > and it works fine, Hope It wouldnt cause more problems down the lane.
    > But why would the contents file get corrupted? I mean as a result of
    > what kind of operations??[/ref]

    All package installs update the file. Some programmers are
    better with string manipulation tools than others.

    What I *really really really* suggested was using the contents file
    from another server to check that the file is corrupt. Otherwise
    if you get hit by a truck, the next systems administrator that
    inherits this machine is gonna come put really ugly things on
    your headstone. In other words, unless the two systems have
    exactly the same packages installed, it is kinda nice to have
    contents==packages.

    Then you can usually open it and fix it with vi. Most common
    boo boo I've seen is failure to put the Newline
    [=$ in vi set list] at the end of one of the package lines.

    If the two are reasonably similar, you might spot the boo boo
    faster with diff.

    Lon Guest