Professional Web Applications Themes

Placing multiple files at once into pre-designated places - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

Program: InDesign CS 3.0.1 Problem: I am trying to replace 12 new files into 12 previous file places. File types are PDF. I need them to drop into the same places as the 12 old files. I cannot change the file names. Other than seperately replacing them, is there any way that I can place all files at once? Already tried Arcadia plug-in and it doesn't work for my version of InDesign. Additionally, drag and drop doesn't place the new files in the old file places. Please help! Example: Business Card 12-up - need to replace 12 names with 12 ...

  1. #1

    Default Placing multiple files at once into pre-designated places

    Program: InDesign CS 3.0.1

    Problem: I am trying to replace 12 new files into 12 previous file places. File types are PDF. I need them to drop into the same places as the 12 old files. I cannot change the file names. Other than seperately replacing them, is there any way that I can place all files at once? Already tried Arcadia plug-in and it doesn't work for my version of InDesign. Additionally, drag and drop doesn't place the new files in the old file places. Please help!

    Example: Business Card 12-up - need to replace 12 names with 12 new names into grid of 3x4.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Stacey_Bertrand@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Have you tried relinking or updating the link?
    Mike Guest

  3. #3

    I can't relink or update link because the file names will be different. I will be putting 12 entirely new files in for 12 entirely old files, all file names are different. I basically want to replace the 12 current files with 12 new file names without placing them all seperately.
    Stacey_Bertrand@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    How would this mechanism you envisage know which file replaces which?

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Create copies of the new files but with the old names and then relinking?
    Claudio_González@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Can't do because we need to keep track of the names on the 12-ups.
    Stacey_Bertrand@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Again, I ask: how is this mechanism you're searching for supposed to know which image replaces which?

  8. #8

    I think that it would be some sort of script that would need to be run taking 12 files out of "Folder A" and replacing them with 12 files from "Folder B", however, I am not that familiar with scripts to know if this would work or not. I would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions if this is even possible.
    Stacey_Bertrand@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I see Dave's question as one of logic, not of scripting, because I also fail to see how any mechanism would know which image replaces which. Unless they are named something like Something1, Something2, ... and SomethingElse1, SomethingElse2, ... , and Something1 is to be replaced by SomethingElse1, etc.

    Create a copy of your original ID file in a new folder, place the 12 new files in the same folder, open the copy and relink?
    Claudio_González@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    This would be a trivial task for a script, but it would need to know the answer to the question. How would the script know which image replaces which?

  11. #11

    So if I'm understanding this correctly, unless I designate which image replaces which image, replacing multiple images at once can't be done. In our case, it doesn't matter which image replaces which image, I just need 12 images to be replaced with the second set of 12 images in those 12 spots.
    Stacey_Bertrand@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    If you can picture how this would be done, then there is probably some simple algorithm that can relate the one to the other, but if the naming is completely arbitrary, as you suggest it is, then it would take a mind reader to know which new image goes with with old one.

    So, unless you can some up with a way of saying in simple terms how a script would know which is which, then indeed, the job can't be done as a batch.

  13. #13

    So it would seem relinking is your only option... not counting replacing them one by one.
    Claudio_González@adobeforums.com Guest