Professional Web Applications Themes

plan diagram of location of player in 3D world - Macromedia Director 3D

How to make a diagram showing position of player.this is for an architectural model, I would like to have3 a small plan in the corner showing the location of the virtual visitor as they explore the 3d model of a house for example. Any pointer/answer or link to tutorial would be appreciated....

  1. #1

    Default plan diagram of location of player in 3D world

    How to make a diagram showing position of player.this is for an architectural
    model, I would like to have3 a small plan in the corner showing the location of
    the virtual visitor as they explore the 3d model of a house for example.
    Any pointer/answer or link to tutorial would be appreciated.

    moltoquesto Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: plan diagram of location of player in 3D world

    sorry don't know on a tut for this. Generally, you have to create an overlay of
    a map picture of your model (birds eye view) and an overlay for the point. what
    I do next in this case is create a parent script, and put it into the actorlist
    (for it receives stepframe messages). It has to execute the following per step:

    1: ask for the world coordinates of the player-model

    2: in case y is pointing upwards, take the x and z coordinate and translate it
    to a position on your map. If, for example, the upper left corner of your world
    is 0,0 and this corresponds to the 0,0 position in your world (which I always
    try to do for simplicity), your world has a maximum extension of 100, your map
    of 10, and your player is at position 50,50 in the world, it has to be on point
    5,5 on the map

    3: add to the coordinates that you got the locH and locV of your map and place
    the point overlay there - voil?

    Well, sounds a bit confusing and might be a bit difficult, e.g if your map is
    upside down,...; I'm a bit pressed at the moment, if you encounter any
    problems, I could help again in some 12 hours (which is after the office day
    here for me) and write a quick script that does the basics

    Erhard Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you for replying its very kind of you to take the time and I would be really grateful if you can help further at your leisure,I am in no hurry I am studying this aspect.

    moltoquesto Guest

  4. #4

    could you supply me with the (or any world) and the overlay for the map that
    you want to use? First I could base my script on something you can use (e.g: I
    don't know if your movie is dynamic or framebased)and second I cannot use the
    worlds and overlays I'm usually working with (because my client would kill me
    for this and I've signed an NDA). Maybe give me something to download it

    Erhard Guest

  6. #6

    This is well within Director's 3D capabilities - with scripting

    You can have two cameras active in a 3D scene, the second camera would be a
    top down view (possibly orthographic - no perspective). this can be shown in a
    corner of the main scene.

    From there it would be fairly simple to put some kind of object or shape above
    your character's head - so it is out of view of the main camera and only
    visible in the top view. It can be a child object to your character and will
    act as a pointer in the top view.

    The best tool I've seen for live experimenting with 3D is 3DPI
    (www.3dpi-director.com). It can help you figure out the lingo required

    hth

    johnAq

    johnAq Guest

  7. #7

    hi john, I'm thrilled because I never thought of that, anyway there are some
    things I don't understand:

    1. how do you merge the two pictures?

    2. Is there a way to make the second cam look transparent?

    do you have an example of this somewhere online? would be pleased to see it
    works easy like that

    Erhard Guest

  8. #8

    Many thanks to both of you kind gentlemen
    moltoquesto Guest

  9. #9

    Actually JohnAq I concur with Erhard's request, I have bought 3DPI and installed it but the tuorials don't cover amalgamating plan(camera) view with (perspective) camera view. Any examples please
    moltoquesto Guest

  10. #10

    I don't have any working examples I can post, but using 3DPI:

    1) In the Camera tab, create a new camera

    2) In the Sprite Tab, you can activate the new camera, assign it to an index,
    and set the rect of that index within the sprite rect. You can't make it
    transparent AFAIK.

    hth

    johnAq

    johnAq Guest