Professional Web Applications Themes

Playing Animations - Macromedia Director 3D

A problem playing the characters animation... I am very new to Director and, although I'm a 3D Animator, I have a bit of a programming background including a comprehensive knowlege of VB and Actionscript. I'm working off the Macromedia Press "Director 8.5 Shockwave Studio for 3D - Training from the Source" book, which I find good for most things but unclear on this. I have a finished animated character in max, using bones and the skin modifier, and I've exported it. The exported model is, as far as I can tell, fully working. The bones animation exported well. The difficulty ...

  1. #1

    Default Playing Animations

    A problem playing the characters animation...

    I am very new to Director and, although I'm a 3D Animator, I have a bit of a
    programming background including a comprehensive knowlege of VB and
    Actionscript. I'm working off the Macromedia Press "Director 8.5 Shockwave
    Studio for 3D - Training from the Source" book, which I find good for most
    things but unclear on this.

    I have a finished animated character in max, using bones and the skin
    modifier, and I've exported it. The exported model is, as far as I can tell,
    fully working. The bones animation exported well. The difficulty I'm having is
    that I can't seem to figure out how to play selected parts of the models
    animation. The model is animated along a single timeline in max. Stand then
    run, then jump, and so forth. Once imported into director the model loops
    through as it would in max. Now comes the code.

    I was under the impression that I would be able to enter variables for the
    start and end frames of each animation cycle, then using functions similar to
    Flash's gotoAndPlay function, request animation loops on keypress events. As
    far as I can see this is not the case. How do I set up my character so that I
    can call animation cycles (remembering that all my animation is on one
    timeline) on a keyPress event?

    Am I supposed to make multiple w3d files with seperate animations? If so, does
    each file include the geometry? Is it possible to have all the animation on one
    timeline and only have to call certain frames? Do I need to define the stops
    and starts of cycles within the keyframes of 3DS Max, before export, somehow?
    Does Director MX 2004 have anything within it to make this easier?

    Online tutorials have had me believing that each individual bone must be told
    when to activate... problem is I've spent a long time in max making sure this
    character's animation looks good... The online tutorials I can find also seem
    to be few and most of them seem to be for developers animating bones entirely
    within lingo. I don't want to have to mess with arround with Lingo animation
    when I'm trained in Max animation.

    Any help you could give would be greatly apreciated.

    Dale J Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Playing Animations

    The doentation for play() (3D) says you can specify a start and end point in miliseconds.
    RavenWorks Guest

  3. #3

    Hello,

    You may use the 'Play Animation' behavior in the Chrome Lib. It plays a motion on a model with a given start and end time.

    Best regards,
    Karl Sigiscar.

    [url]http://www.chromelib.com[/url]
    Newt99 Guest