Professional Web Applications Themes

please dont make me use illustrator - Macromedia Freehand

I spent 20 minutes trying apply a stroke to a placed image in illustrator. I was sure there was a simple way to do it that I was overlooking. Eventually someone from the newsgroup told me how you do it: you create a box around the placed image and apply the stroke to that. Torn between bugs and bloody horrible software. Getho...

  1. #1

    Default please dont make me use illustrator

    I spent 20 minutes trying apply a stroke to a placed image in illustrator. I
    was sure there was a simple way to do it that I was overlooking. Eventually
    someone from the newsgroup told me how you do it: you create a box around
    the placed image and apply the stroke to that. Torn between bugs and bloody
    horrible software.

    Getho

    Getho Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: please dont make me use illustrator

    I've never heard of *any* program that can place a stroke on an imported
    bitmapped image -- it's not, after all, a vector object. Is this some new
    feature of FHMX that I've not heard about? If so, I'd like to know how it's
    done (internally in the program).

    Bill Schuhle

    Bill Schuhle Guest

  3. #3

    FHMX does do this. Not sure how but it does which I like.

    mg

    "Bill Schuhle" <bschuhle1aol.com> wrote in message
    > I've never heard of *any* program that can place a stroke on an imported
    > bitmapped image -- it's not, after all, a vector object. Is this some new
    > feature of FHMX that I've not heard about? If so, I'd like to know how
    it's
    > done (internally in the program).
    >
    > Bill Schuhle

    Martin Gamache Guest

  4. #4

    Bill,
    You import a bitmapped image, select it, add a stroke in the object
    properties panel.
    To be perfectly clear, I believe Getho is referring to adding a
    rectangular stroke around the entire bitmap, not adding a stroke to
    *elements* of the bitmap. This can in fact be done in FHMX.

    --
    Bill
    FHMX/Win98/Athlon2100+/512M
    On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:22:21 -0700, Bill Schuhle <bschuhle1aol.com> wrote:
    > I've never heard of *any* program that can place a stroke on an imported
    > bitmapped image -- it's not, after all, a vector object. Is this some new
    > feature of FHMX that I've not heard about? If so, I'd like to know how
    > it's
    > done (internally in the program).
    >
    > Bill Schuhle

    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    "Bill Schuhle" <bschuhle1aol.com>
    wrote in message news:c4up0u$oi4$1forums.macromedia.com...
    > I've never heard of *any* program that can place a stroke on an imported
    > bitmapped image -- it's not, after all, a vector object.
    CorelDRAW will let you do it. That program will even allow you to add
    control points to the bounding box surrounding the bitmap and deform it to
    clip into the bitmapped image. That program has been able to do that for
    over a decade.

    In fact, I thought all vector illustration apps could put an outline stroke
    around a placed bitmap image.

    Bobby Henderson Guest

  6. #6

    That's the complaint, that illustrator doesn't do it and freehand does it so easily.

    You apply a stroke to a bitmapped image the same way you apply a stroke to any object.
    cartees Guest

  7. #7

    have anybody tried to colorize grayscale images in illustrator?

    Marek
    veeall Guest

  8. #8

    epilogue:
    Somone else wrote in to let me know that you CAN do it in illustrator,
    although you have to add a stroke and then an effect. I actually think
    Freehands multiple attibutes are pretty cool, but then I started with FH 11.
    If only it worked.
    Getho

    Getho Guest