Professional Web Applications Themes

Please Help. Dead Mac - Mac Programming

I have a 'Refurbished' Powermac 1.25Ghz dual boot, arrived Thursday 8 July. Everything fine setting it up and working with it when this evening I experienced my first freeze. I was using the internet via AOL browsing with Explorer v5.2 when everything froze. I tried to Force Quit via the keyboard but this had no effect. I then held the power button until the machine powered down. After a short length of time I attempted to restart - nothing. I tried several times. The light comes on the mac and the monitor ( 17" flat panel studio display, ADC fitting) ...

  1. #1

    Default Please Help. Dead Mac

    I have a 'Refurbished' Powermac 1.25Ghz dual boot, arrived Thursday 8
    July. Everything fine setting it up and working with it when this
    evening I experienced my first freeze. I was using the internet via AOL
    browsing with Explorer v5.2 when everything froze. I tried to Force
    Quit via the keyboard but this had no effect.

    I then held the power button until the machine powered down. After a
    short length of time I attempted to restart - nothing.

    I tried several times. The light comes on the mac and the monitor ( 17"
    flat panel studio display, ADC fitting) and the fan is going around.

    I then tried with software install disk number 1 and held the 'c' key
    down, still nothing. I then tried with the 'option' key held down
    nothing.

    I have done all the above with and without any accessorie leads in the
    back, firwire, USB etc.....

    At the time of the crash I was connected via appletalk/Network Browser
    with my G4 433 running OS 9.0.4 as I have been since the new mac
    arrived.

    The new Mac is running Panther

    Please can anyone offer any suggestions. Returning to the dealer is my
    last option as I have work i have to complete urgently.

    Please HELP!!!
    Picman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Please Help. Dead Mac

    In article <110720042147181383%fsnet.co.uk>,
    Picman <fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

    While it could indeed be hardware (motherboard or bad RAM even a
    monitor,etc and once you have eliminated these) it is worth it to try
    the following:

    Disconnect ALL external addons (USB & Firewire SCSI hard drives scanners
    DVDs CD burners etc). While keyboard & mouse are not likely candidates
    here, if you have others try them later too.

    Open Mac case (with power off but power cord still plugged in).

    Once case is open, touch the power supply case to remove any stray
    static electricity charge your body may have before touching any other
    internal components.

    If you have added RAM, remove the newer added RAM.

    It would not hurt to make sure all internal cable connections are good,
    by removing & reseating all such cables, especially those which connect
    to the motherboard.

    Replace the PRAM battery on the motherboard. This is a 3.6 volt lithium
    battery readily available at computer supply stores. A dead PRAM battery
    can prevent boot up or video on monitor.

    Near the battery on the motherboard is a PMU (Power Manager Unit -- on
    older Macs this was called CUDA hardware reset button) button. Press
    this ONCE (too many presses might leave PMU in unhappy state and can
    drain a new PRAM battery with hours rather than 3-5 years).

    On start up reset PRAM by pressing Command Option P & R keys
    simultaneously. I think you need to hold these buttons down until Mac
    chimes 3 times. This PRAM reset is likely already down my the PMU reset
    but do it anyway.

    Hopefully your Mac will boot successfully after all this. I had this
    problem occur several times (about 3-4 times total with the two G4s)
    with both a G4 450 and a G4 933. Most times this happened after power
    outages when G4 was on. Once it happened after I had case open replacing
    hard disks.

    Good luck.
    Morenuf
    --
    com.invalid
    morenuf Guest

  3. #3

    On 11/07/2004, Picman wrote in message
    <110720042147181383%fsnet.co.uk>:

    I suggest that you stop crossposting your plea to these newsgroups

    comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,
    comp.sys.mac.programmer.tools,
    alt.news.newusers-mac,
    alt.comp.sys.mainboard.macintosh

    Since a solution to your problem isn't on charter for any of
    them so you won't get one. Pick one newsgroup with a name that
    suggests that it's appropriate and post there instead.

    Simon.
    --
    Using pre-release version of newsreader.
    Please tell me if it does weird things.