Professional Web Applications Themes

Please help me install 8.5 on a model 8500 PowerPC - Mac Applications & Software

Hello, I recently acquired a number of older model PowerPC's, and would love to get the most powerful of them running, a model 8500. I purchased a System 8.5 CDROM, and have been unsuccessful so far in my attempts to boot/install the OS over the last few months. I'm very familiar with PC's, and can easily partition, format, and install an operating system in them. Unfortunatley, I have no experience with Macintosh computers in this area, and cannot find anyone that knows what to do. I've tried every suggestion people have given me, but so far I have not been ...

  1. #1

    Default Please help me install 8.5 on a model 8500 PowerPC

    Hello,

    I recently acquired a number of older model PowerPC's, and would love to get
    the most powerful of them running, a model 8500. I purchased a System 8.5
    CDROM, and have been unsuccessful so far in my attempts to boot/install the
    OS over the last few months. I'm very familiar with PC's, and can easily
    partition, format, and install an operating system in them. Unfortunatley, I
    have no experience with Macintosh computers in this area, and cannot find
    anyone that knows what to do.

    I've tried every suggestion people have given me, but so far I have not been
    able to see anything other than the flashing disk icon. The system doesn't
    seem to recognize the CDROM drive at all. The drive is an original Apple
    drive, as well as the SCSI hard drive... all of which appear to be the
    original hardware for this system. I got the computer from a state surplus
    auction, and it appears that they wiped the hard drive clean before the
    sale.

    Can anyone give me advice on where to find more information? I haven't been
    able to find a web site or an FAQ anywhere that explains the drive
    formatting process required to start from scratch on a PowerPC. I also have
    a model 7500, 7100, 6500, and a few others... so I think I should have
    enough spare drives and cable parts to get at least ONE of these running.

    I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks!

    Harold Corbin

    Harold Guest

  2. #2

    After posting this, I did some more research and found the "Older Software
    Downloads" page on the apple site
    (http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html). There are LOTS
    of downloads on this page, but since the only computer I have to access the
    Internet right now is a PC... how do I go about figuring out which files to
    download, and then how do I unpack the files and get them in the right
    format to use on a PowerPC? Most of the text files give directions for
    unpacking the files and running them on an Apple computer... so that poses a
    problem for me.

    A few of the files that might be useful are the Disk Tools downloads, and
    what appears to be the full download of system 7.5.5.

    Can anyone help me with the steps to take in order to get a Disk Tools boot
    disk created? I have a model 7100 that will boot to system 7.1... so I
    wonder if I can somehow download the files on my PC, burn them to a CD, and
    use the 7100 to uncompress the files for transfer to a series of floppy
    disks. I was also wondering if there is software I can run on my PC for
    uncompressing the .bin files and copying them to a floppy or CD that a
    PowerPC can read? Please help!

    Harold Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Harold Corbin wrote:

    Don't uncompress the .bin files on your PC. Copy the .bin files to your
    mac, then proceed with apple's instructions.

    Frede

    Frederick Guest

  4. #4

    In article <news.rcn.net>,
    Phil Lefebvre <edu> wrote:

    > You are on the right track. Poke around lowendmac.com for more info and
    > links. My first guess is the PRAM (CMOS in PC-speak) battery is dead.
    > When they die, weird things like not booting can happen. The 8500 uses
    > the standard 1/2AA battery. You can see it just sticking out below the
    > bottom drive bay when you open the case.[/ref]

    Yeah, that's a definite place to be looking. A dud battery can make all
    kinds of bizarre stuff happen.

    That would be *MY* first guess...

    I *THINK* that's incorrect... I'm pretty sure that in the days of 8.5,
    the CD would boot and run on any machine that met the minimum hardware
    requirements. (PPC 601 or better + bootable CD-ROM drive + enough RAM)
    I don't think they started doing the "This CD will only boot this
    machine" thing until the 8.6 CDs started getting into circulation.

    Which leads to the next idea:
    Try to boot the 7500 from the CD. If you can get it to fire up there,
    yank the hard drive from the 8500, plug it into the 7500, and install to
    that drive, then move it back over to the 8500, and you should be
    golden. I've had to do that with a couple of second-hand machines I've
    gotten 'cause the CD drive was toasty and/or an unbootable third-party
    unit. Works just fine on "same generation" machines like the 7500/8500,
    but sometimes gets a wee bit wonky (Enablers not being installed 'cause
    the machine that's doing the installing doesn't need them, but the other
    one does, etc)if you start crossing the "generation gap" with the drive,
    so you might want to avoid that idea in those situations...

    Amen to that last... The 7500 (and its brethren, the 7300 and 7600) are
    an absolute joy to work on. FWIW to you, Harold, given the same
    processor cards, amount of RAM, and HD, the 7500 and 8500 are identical
    in almost every important way, with the exception of the 8500 having an
    S-video out port (which the 7500 lacks, although it does have S-video
    in), and being a minitower rather than a desktop. If I were in your
    shoes, I'd be using the 7500 ratehr than the 8500, at least until I got
    all the kinks worked out, simply for the fact that it's the easier (by
    far!) machine to get inside and work on. Once you've got it up and
    running, you can pull the drive, move it over to the 8500, boot from
    there, and "clone" the drive onto the 8500 before putting it back in the
    7500.

    --
    Don Bruder - net <--- Preferred Email - unmunged, SpamAssassinated
    Hate SPAM? See <http://www.spamassassin.org> for some seriously great info.

  5. #5

    In <dyM4b.323616$o%2.148990sccrnsc02> Harold Corbin wrote:

    It is possible to make a bootable Mac floppy disk on a PC from a disk
    image. From the old software page at Apple download Disk_Tools_PPC.img.
    bin. This is a bootable floppy based on Mac OS 8.1 and can access the
    HFS+ disk format that was introduced with Mac OS 8.1. Get the free
    StuffIt Expander for Windows from <http://www.stuffit.com/> and use it
    remove the MacBinary header (*.bin). Get WinImage from <http://www.
    winimage.com/> and use it write the disk image to a floppy disk.

    The Disk Tools PPC floppy can be used to boot any of the Macs you have
    and includes a disk repair and format program.

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz
    Roger Guest