Professional Web Applications Themes

Please help: need ideas on database adaptors - MySQL

Hi All! I develop a project that uses MySQL database as a data storage. I have gotten a request from my manager to investigate the possibility to create an adaptor that will utilize virtually any database instead of mysql built-in. It will cover the case if customer wants to retain his database as data storage but still use our software. I am thinking about creating set of GUIs and APIs which will map tables, queries and relations... It's quite challengeable. Is it possible? Did somebody face this problem before? Any ideas are highly appreciated! Thank you....

  1. #1

    Default Please help: need ideas on database adaptors

    Hi All!

    I develop a project that uses MySQL database as a data storage. I have
    gotten a request from my manager to investigate the possibility to
    create an adaptor that will utilize virtually any database instead of
    mysql built-in. It will cover the case if customer wants to retain his
    database as data storage but still use our software. I am thinking
    about creating set of GUIs and APIs which will map tables, queries and
    relations... It's quite challengeable. Is it possible? Did somebody
    face this problem before?
    Any ideas are highly appreciated!

    Thank you.

    dev2 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Please help: need ideas on database adaptors

    com says...

    Look at the work done in the web/PHP environment done by AdoDB.

    Geoff M
    Geoff Guest

  3. #3

    dev2 wrote:

    In reality, you can only use the database engine for which the SQL was coded.

    SQL != SQL != SQL (just like unix != unix != linux)

    Oracle, DB2, SQL Server and MySQL (to list some of the more well known) all
    implement different procedures and functions and unless you have an exhaustive
    list and try to determine which db engine you are using - dynamically, I would
    say this is a futile task.

    --
    Michael Austin.
    Database Consultant

  4. #4

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 02:31:57 GMT, Michael Austin wrote:

    > In reality, you can only use the database engine for which the SQL was
    > coded.
    >
    > SQL != SQL != SQL (just like unix != unix != linux)
    >
    > Oracle, DB2, SQL Server and MySQL (to list some of the more well
    > known) all implement different procedures and functions and unless you
    > have an exhaustive list and try to determine which db engine you are
    > using - dynamically, I would say this is a futile task.[/ref]

    Well, one can build for a selected subset of all possible RBDSs.. And
    then install the programs that have been built against the appropriate
    libraries at install time. But that's about as far as it can go. It's
    certainly not the case like the OP seemed to be hoping for, that one
    could take down an MSSQL server and plop in a DB2 one and have the
    application barely notice.

    --
    Technical points aside, you could probably beat someone to
    death with a Newton if you had to. Try that with a Palm Pilot!

  5. #5

    dev2 wrote:
    If you are using only the basic CRUD functionality in the
    database and using your own software for the more complex
    processing you can achieve your goal by using a language that
    already has a data base interface package that talks to several
    RDBMS. If your customers will be using PCs to run your software
    and access the database just use ODBC?

    HTH
    Jerry
    Jerry Guest

  6. #6

    Jerry Gitomer wrote:
    > If you are using only the basic CRUD functionality in the
    > database and using your own software for the more complex
    > processing you can achieve your goal by using a language that
    > already has a data base interface package that talks to several
    > RDBMS. If your customers will be using PCs to run your software
    > and access the database just use ODBC?
    >
    > HTH
    > Jerry[/ref]

    While this is indeed true, I REALLY hate those because they tend to try
    to retreive the entire database (select * from x) and then try to
    process it locally for every call - extremely inefficient. The most
    difficult piece of trying to do this is the hodge-podge of datatype
    definitions (as we have recently seen). Even though they say there is
    a standard, there really isn't a standard. Most databases/applictions
    try to use the date functions and those are so different from engine to
    engine, it is enough to make ones head spin.

    M.

    onedbguru Guest

  7. #7

    Jerry Gitomer wrote:
    > If you are using only the basic CRUD functionality in the
    > database and using your own software for the more complex
    > processing you can achieve your goal by using a language that
    > already has a data base interface package that talks to several
    > RDBMS. If your customers will be using PCs to run your software
    > and access the database just use ODBC?
    >
    > HTH
    > Jerry[/ref]

    Thank you for all replies, I will keep it posted as the work progresses.

    dev2 Guest