    Removed by Administrator
    Bob Harris Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    Default Re: please help: some questions about Wireless (wifi) networks,Linksys products, range extension

    "Mike Levin" <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote in message
    > General background: I have an old Victorian house, with some tin
    > ceilings and god-knows what else in the walls. My office is on the 2nd
    As I mentioned in a prior post, this sounds very similar to my house in
    which I have installed a similar wireless network.

    > 1) move the wireless router to the middle of the house. This one is tough
    > because it requires relocating the cable hole in the side of the house. It
    > might be doable, but the problem is that I can't try it to see if it helps
    > before actually going through with it. Also I would *really* like to be
    able

    Sure you can (and should) first try it without actually relocating your
    cable modem. If you unplug your cable modem and move your router to the
    middle of the house, you will not have Internet access but you will
    nonetheless be able to use your network to transfer files, which will let
    you determine how well this works. In fact, this could well be your best
    plan of all so that you are certain where to relocate the cable modem.

    Although I have the wireless network now working well in my house, I
    probably spent 2-3 hours experimenting with various locations for the
    wireless router until deciding on a permanent location. It is sensitive
    enough that there is literally only one half of one bedroom in which I could
    place the router and signal booster to provide coverage throughout the whole
    house. And although I can now get 500kbps or greater Internet access
    reliably anywhere in the house, it is also true that in some locations in
    the house this reliable fast access nonetheless is received with a signal
    strength of "poor." But its performance is excellent nonetheless so I am
    not complaining.

    Also, are you absolutely commited to using a cable modem? If DSL is
    avaialble, the router could be anywhere you have a phone line. But of
    course that could be a significant commitment of time and expense to switch
    from a cable modem to DSL.

    > and it's somewhat better (although weirdly, not as good as it was when it
    > was in the PC!). But now I have this thing sticking out the side of my
    > laptop and it no longer fits into my laptop case. Pulling it out

    Yes, I have found that a PCMCIA wireless card works better than a
    built-inWi-Fi antenna. In fact, although my personal laptop works very well
    throughout my house with its built-in Wi-Fi antenna, another IDENTICAL
    laptop computer (a Presario 2100) will not pick up the Wi-Fi signal in the
    far reaches of the house with its buil-in Wi-Fi antenna but does just fine
    with a Linksys Ver 3 PCMCIA card. If that is what it takes to make it work,
    I do not think it is a big deal to take out the PCMCIA card when traveling
    with the laptop.

    --
    Richard Kaplan
    [email]rkaplanflyimc.com[/email]

    Richard Kaplan Guest

  4. #4

    > Sure you can (and should) first try it without actually relocating your
    > cable modem. If you unplug your cable modem and move your router to the
    > middle of the house, you will not have Internet access but you will
    > nonetheless be able to use your network to transfer files, which will let
    > you determine how well this works. In fact, this could well be your best
    > plan of all so that you are certain where to relocate the cable modem.
    good idea! I'll give it a shot.
    > Yes, I have found that a PCMCIA wireless card works better than a
    > built-inWi-Fi antenna. In fact, although my personal laptop works very well
    > throughout my house with its built-in Wi-Fi antenna, another IDENTICAL
    > laptop computer (a Presario 2100) will not pick up the Wi-Fi signal in the
    > far reaches of the house with its buil-in Wi-Fi antenna but does just fine
    > with a Linksys Ver 3 PCMCIA card. If that is what it takes to make it work,
    > I do not think it is a big deal to take out the PCMCIA card when traveling
    > with the laptop.
    pulling the card out is not a big deal. The problem is that the driver is
    crappy and requires a reboot every time the card is taken out and
    re-inserted (the machine does not see it until you restart).

    Mike

    Mike Levin Guest

  5. #5

    > pulling the card out is not a big deal. The problem is that the driver
    is
    > crappy and requires a reboot every time the card is taken out and
    > re-inserted (the machine does not see it until you restart).

    Can the laptop handle Windows XP? Windows XP is pretty graceful at handling
    hot removal/insertion of PCMCIA cards, much better than Win 95 or Win 98.

  6. #6

    in article 46ca761f0efa5cfe70805fbdd24c15abTeraNews, Richard Kaplan at
    [email]rkaplanflyimc.com[/email] wrote on 7/4/03 10:26 PM:

    > "Mike Levin" <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> pulling the card out is not a big deal. The problem is that the driver
    > is
    >> crappy and requires a reboot every time the card is taken out and
    >> re-inserted (the machine does not see it until you restart).
    >

    > Can the laptop handle Windows XP? Windows XP is pretty graceful at handling
    > hot removal/insertion of PCMCIA cards, much better than Win 95 or Win 98.
    Nope - it's a Macintosh laptop; a very nice machine which works great with
    the built-in Airport card. The Orinoco card needs special drivers which I
    think aren't optimal...

    Mike

    Mike Levin Guest