Professional Web Applications Themes

Please help this newbie with simple problem - ASP.NET General

Hi Everyone, I'm new to DotNet and I'm trying to get ASPX pages to work but I'm having problems. I suspect I haven't configured IIS or DotNet frameworks properly. I can open static pages (html) but dynamic pages are causing me problems. Here's my configuration: 1) local PC running XP Pro & Dreamweaver MX 6.1 (fully patched) 2) remote PC running XP Pro, IIS 5.1, DotNet Frameworks 1.1 they are connected over a local peer LAN. To configure a web site, here's what I did: 1) create a 'test1' folder under c:\inetpub\wwwroot for my application (via Windows Explorer) 2) opened ...

  1. #1

    Default Please help this newbie with simple problem

    Hi Everyone,

    I'm new to DotNet and I'm trying to get ASPX pages to work but I'm
    having problems. I suspect I haven't configured IIS or DotNet
    frameworks properly.

    I can open static pages (html) but dynamic pages are causing me problems.

    Here's my configuration:
    1) local PC running XP Pro & Dreamweaver MX 6.1 (fully patched)
    2) remote PC running XP Pro, IIS 5.1, DotNet Frameworks 1.1
    they are connected over a local peer LAN.

    To configure a web site, here's what I did:
    1) create a 'test1' folder under c:\inetpub\wwwroot for my application
    (via Windows Explorer)
    2) opened IIS, and right click on default web site and selected 'New
    Virtual Directory...' to launch wizard
    3) I gave it the same name (test1) and pointed to the
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test1 folder
    4) I left the defaults of 'read' & 'run scripts (such as ASP)' checked
    This changed the icon in IIS

    If I copy any HTML file to the folder, I can request the page over the
    LAN and it works. Problem occurs when I try to reference an ASPX page.

    - Is there some step I missed?
    - Do I have to do anything in the DotNet 1.1 configuration applet? (I
    left if alone for now)
    - If I can open HTML files, can I assume my IIS is functioning properly?
    - How can I test is with a small ASPX file?

    Thanks for helping this newbie (to DotNet and ASP)

    Richard

    Richard Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Please help this newbie with simple problem

    > LAN and it works. Problem occurs when I try to reference an ASPX page.

    ....and the Problem is?

    Without any description of the problem, I can only guess that possibly your
    ISAPI mappings in IIS aren't set up for ASP.Net. You can set them up by
    running the command-line tool aspnet_regiis.exe -i

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    http://www.takempis.com
    The more I learn, the less I know.

    "Richard Fagen" <ca> wrote in message

    Kevin Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Kevin,

    You're right about me needing the aspnet_regiis.exe command, thanks!
    While this solve one problem, it exposed another.

    Here is what I am trying to do...
    In the Dreamweaver tutorial, they include an Access database
    (global.mdb) and have you create a doent (customerComment.aspx) that
    will read the database and display the records in a dynamic web page.

    I created the ASPX file locally and uploaded it to the other PC (IIS
    server with DotNet 1.1) and then I request the ASPX page in a browser.
    Note the MDB file is on the IIS server in the same folder as the ASPX
    file and I can view all the tables and records from my local PC via the
    Dreameaver IDE. Instead of giving me the expected results, I get the
    following....

    Line #2 of my ASPX file is: (generated by Dreamweaver)

    <% Register TagPrefix="MM" Namespace="DreamweaverCtrls"
    Assembly="DreamweaverCtrls,version=1.0.0.0,publicK eyToken=836f606ede05d46a,culture=neutral"
    %>

    *** error below ***

    to service this request. Please review the following specific p
    error details and modify you source file appropriately.

    Pr Error Message: File or assembly name DreamweaverCtrls, or one of
    its dependencies, was not found.

    Assembly Load Trace:
    ===
    LOG: Publish policy file is not found.
    LOG: No redirect found in host configuration file
    (C:\Windows\...aspnet.config
    LOG: Using machine configuration file from
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\confi g.machine.config

    ====

    Any ideas? Thanks again for helping out a newbie :)

    Richard

    Richard Guest

  4. #4

    It looks like you are missing some assembly
    did you upload the assembly file along with the aspx

    Assembly="DreamweaverCtrls,version=1.0.0.0,publicK eyToken=836f606ede05d46a,c
    ulture=neutral" [/ref]
    your
    >[/ref]

    MS Guest