Professional Web Applications Themes

Please, once & for all, Explain the Warning message! - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I'm sorry, but I'm having problems with the horrible message that means nothing to me. LOL Warning: No pixels are more than 50% selected. The selection edges will not be visible. I've gotten out of it a few times, but don't know how or why. I've looked thru the manual, and can't find the answer. Please tell me what it actually means so it makes sense. Thanks so much. Lorace (I've waited a week to ask this, thinking I'd solve it, but nope!)...

  1. #1

    Default Please, once & for all, Explain the Warning message!

    I'm sorry, but I'm having problems with the horrible message that means nothing to me. LOL

    Warning: No pixels are more than 50% selected. The selection edges will not be visible.

    I've gotten out of it a few times, but don't know how or why. I've looked thru the manual, and can't find the answer.

    Please tell me what it actually means so it makes sense.

    Thanks so much.

    Lorace

    (I've waited a week to ask this, thinking I'd solve it, but nope!)
    Lorace Graham Guest

  2. #2

    Lorace, it usually means one of two things:

    1. (Most frequent) You're pointing at an adjustment layer that really has
    no pixels; you need to switch layers to one with image content, like the
    Background layer.
    2. You're making a very small selection with a relatively large feathering
    value (check Select>Feather)

    If you could say a little more about the precise cirstances under which
    you get the message, I believe we'll be able to resolve quickly.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  3. #3

    Larace,

    This is a perfectly normal message. As Chuck says, it is either because you are focused on a blank layer, or your selection involves feathering.

    You really need to have the Layers Palette permanently visible along the right side of your screen so you can see which layer is active.

    Nancy S Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks. I'm sorry I wasn't more explicit.

    I do keep the layer pallett open at all times, Nancy. Usually, I am working on a copy of the background layer, Chuck.

    I get the message, often, when trying to use the lasso tool or the selection brush. I've checked the feathering and usually keep it in the low figures. I will watch more carefully and if I discover exactly what is frustrating me, I'll return to this thread!

    Thanks. I know it's a normal warning, but the wording doesn't make sense to me. I'll just be STARTING to select and get the message, and I wonder how it knows when I hadn't selected 50% of the pixels, yet. Am I making an idiot of myself? LOL

    Back later,
    Lorace
    Lorace Graham Guest

  5. #5

    Lorace, I would guess that nearly all of us who work with selections and
    layers have gotten this message on at least one occasion - I know I have,
    and it's been a lot more than one! It's usually easy to resolve, but not
    always, so please come back and share your experiences, good or bad!

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  6. #6

    I emphathize with you Lorace...I seem to have sieges of this problem also. So I am glad you asked about this again. The wording of the message is a bit odd to me also. I will follow this thread with interest, since I think I am "following the rules", but apparently not always. Can't think of particular cirstance.... Dorothy
    D. Brinkmann Guest

  7. #7

    Suggestion:

    "Naming" layers rather than accepting the default layer names (like layer1,
    layer2) seems to remind me to make the proper layer active before using any
    tools like "selection".

    PeteD

    Pete D Guest

  8. #8

    Lorace, if you are getting the message even when you just start to make a selection ( without letting go ) then you probably need to delete your preferences. The only time I get this message is when i forget to turn the feather down or to default '0' and make a selection that is too small. Delete preferences by holding down alt+ctrl+shift just a split second after launching the ap. A message will pop up asking if ya want to delete prefs, click OK or yes.
    JodiFrye Guest

  9. #9

    Lorace,

    I see you have lots of "why" answers but no "what" answer. So, I'll take a
    shot at answering your question.

    First of all, it is NOT an error message. It is a warning to let you know
    that you have a selection that is not visible ( that is, no marching ants
    line around it).

    Due to the way selections are handled in Elements, you can have partially
    selected pixels -- It's not all or nothing where a pixel is either selected
    or it isn't. The marching ants line is only shown around regions that
    contain pixels that are 50% selected or greater.

    If you have selected a region where the pixels are less than 50% selected,
    the marching ants line will not show. The selection is still there and
    anything you do to the image will affect the selected pixels. You just
    can't see where it is.

    If all the selected areas in the image are invisible, this could lead to
    confusion as you may not be aware that you have a selection and things may
    not appear to be working the way you would expect. The warning is there to
    let you know you have a selection but that you can't see it.

    Does that help?

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks, Bob. Yes, I think it helps. At least it makes some sense to me.

    Last night I was doing some work in APS and found that when I get the warning message, either the selection is in the wrong format or I was trying to work on a background, or something equally "no-go."

    It's always a problem learning the terms that a new program uses.

    I appreciate all these replies. I'll get there, I'm hopeful, at least.

    Lorace
    Lorace Graham Guest