Professional Web Applications Themes

Pls Help me identify a G3 PB. - Mac Portable

Hi: I've located a used "G3" powerbook, 32 MB RAM, 233 Mhz 750 CPU, 2 Gig HD. OS 8.6 installed. There's no CD drive, just a removeable floppy. It has 1 serial port & an ADB port, SCSI etc. & two PCMCIA slots, Ethernet but no Modem/Phone jack. I thought I saw a USB symbol, but didn't recognize it until I got home (it's still at the store). The screen was fairly large (Larger than my PB1400/166cs - $60). However, I can't tell from Apple's Site which Model it is. It resembles, all of the G3, G3 Series, G3 Series ...

  1. #1

    Default Pls Help me identify a G3 PB.

    Hi:

    I've located a used "G3" powerbook, 32 MB RAM, 233 Mhz 750 CPU, 2 Gig
    HD. OS 8.6 installed.

    There's no CD drive, just a removeable floppy.

    It has 1 serial port & an ADB port, SCSI etc. & two PCMCIA slots,
    Ethernet but no Modem/Phone jack. I thought I saw a USB symbol, but
    didn't recognize it until I got home (it's still at the store).

    The screen was fairly large (Larger than my PB1400/166cs - $60).

    However, I can't tell from Apple's Site which Model it is. It
    resembles, all of the G3, G3 Series, G3 Series II, Wallstreet, Pismo,
    Lombard etc.

    It's going for about $200 and appears in pretty good condition.

    Can someone tell me how to tell exactly which it is before I buy it ?
    I'd like to research how & what it will cost to upgrade it with
    memory, CD/DVD, but need to know the exact model first.

    Thanks.
    John Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pls Help me identify a G3 PB.

    John Stockale <com> wrote:

    I'm going to guess that you've found a Kanga. Is it rather thick and
    hefty, with speakers in the screen? The Ethernet port is a combined
    Ethernet/modem port (rather clever). If it's a Kanga, it's a wonderful
    machine but it's not worth $200 (especially without the CD drive). m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    matt Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 8:22:07 -0700, John Stockale wrote
    (in message <google.com>):

    On the bottom of the PowerBook is a label. On that label is a number prefixed
    with "Family Number" (a four or six digit number beginning with M). This is
    the number you want to write down.

    Here is the article from Apple's support site that discusses the differences
    between the black PowerBook models:

    < http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=24604>

    Here's several articles that give the details of each of the models:

    <http://search.info.apple.com/?btnG=Search&as_q=powerbook+G3+family&Submit.x=1
    4&Submit.y=14&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&kwo rd=&type=>

    Good luck,
    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  4. #4

    In article <1g1h7gt.9tuwym84nh4wN%com>, matt neuburg
    <com> wrote:

    > I'm going to guess that you've found a Kanga. Is it rather thick and
    > hefty, with speakers in the screen? The Ethernet port is a combined
    > Ethernet/modem port (rather clever). If it's a Kanga, it's a wonderful
    > machine but it's not worth $200 (especially without the CD drive). m.[/ref]

    its definitely a wallstreet.

    kangas were 250mhz. some wallstreets were 250 but since his is a 233 it
    instantly rules out kanga.

    the early 233 lacked cache, so you need to determine which version it
    is.

    also keep in mind, panther is not officially supported on this machine
    (no built in usb). it may work (osx works on lots of unsupported
    hardware), but its something to keep in mind before you sink money into
    it.

    personally, i do not think its worth $200.
    nospam Guest

  5. #5

    In article <180920031138010948%invalid>, nospam
    <invalid> wrote:

    > > I'm going to guess that you've found a Kanga. Is it rather thick and
    > > hefty, with speakers in the screen? The Ethernet port is a combined
    > > Ethernet/modem port (rather clever). If it's a Kanga, it's a wonderful
    > > machine but it's not worth $200 (especially without the CD drive). m.[/ref]
    >
    > its definitely a wallstreet.[/ref]

    If it has USB, it isn't a Wallstreet but a later model. The Wallstreet
    233 did come with a 2GB hard drive (and a CD). It also came with a ZIP
    drive - you could switch the CD and ZIP drives as desired.

    Agreed - whichever G3 it is. Of course, it is being sold by a retail
    outlet - ups the price quite a bit.

    Cathy

    --
    "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

    C.Stevenson, M.D.
    net
    Cathy Guest

  6. #6

    Question: where does someone find a Kanga for less than $200? Prices on eBay
    seem higher than that, but are there other on-line sources to look for?

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    "matt neuburg" <com> wrote in message

    Etaoin Guest

  7. #7

    Etaoin Shrdlu <com> wrote:

    Well, maybe I'm wrong. But I tried to sell mine a year ago and I sure as
    heck couldn't get anyone to offer me $200. In the end I decided to just
    keep it. Personally I find it's worth a lot more than $200 to me, which
    is why I wouldn't sell it for that. It's a wonderful machine - it's
    tough as nails, it has a great screen, and it's got SCSI, serial, and
    ADB, which are all things I need (plus two card slots, floppy drive, CD
    drive, etc.). m.

  8. #8

    In article <190920031604071641%net>, Cathy Stevenson
    <net> wrote:

    > > its definitely a wallstreet.[/ref]
    >
    > If it has USB, it isn't a Wallstreet but a later model. The Wallstreet
    > 233 did come with a 2GB hard drive (and a CD). It also came with a ZIP
    > drive - you could switch the CD and ZIP drives as desired.[/ref]

    he said it had adb, and *thought* he saw usb. the first powerbook with
    usb was the one that followed wallstreet and usb replaced adb. so the
    fact it had adb that it was 233 mhz means its a wallstreet.

    > Agreed - whichever G3 it is. Of course, it is being sold by a retail
    > outlet - ups the price quite a bit.[/ref]

    well, a decked out pismo might be worth 200 but certainly not a 233mhz
    wallstreet (especially if it is the cacheless version).
    nospam Guest

  9. #9

    Look at http://www.apple-history.com/frames/?

    Paparicky

    In article <190920031916392413%invalid>, nospam
    <invalid> wrote:

    > > If it has USB, it isn't a Wallstreet but a later model. The Wallstreet
    > >
    > > 233 did come with a 2GB hard drive (and a CD). It also came with a ZIP
    > > drive - you could switch the CD and ZIP drives as desired.[/ref]
    >
    > he said it had adb, and *thought* he saw usb. the first powerbook with
    > usb was the one that followed wallstreet and usb replaced adb. so the
    > fact it had adb that it was 233 mhz means its a wallstreet.

    > > Agreed - whichever G3 it is. Of course, it is being sold by a retail
    > > outlet - ups the price quite a bit.[/ref]
    >
    > well, a decked out pismo might be worth 200 but certainly not a 233mhz
    > wallstreet (especially if it is the cacheless version).[/ref]
    Richard Guest

  10. #10

    It's the first of the Wallstreet series, Spring, 1998

    see:
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/stats/powerbook_g3_233
    ..html

    As far as it's value, as a former owner, if it's in good condition and
    233 is all the speed you need, $200 is a good deal.

    PS: I own and still use, every day in my office a 3400c. For database
    management, word processing, web-based insurance billing, office music,
    and more. It has performed flawlessly, day in and day out for over 6
    years.

    Show mw a PC laptop that can do that!

    -Larry
    (Now on a TiBook at home.)

    --
    Dr. Larry Bickford, O.D.
    Family Practice Eye Health & Vision Care

    The Eyecare Connection
    http//www.eyecarecontacts.com
    larrydoc at m a c.c o m
    LarryDoc Guest