Professional Web Applications Themes

Plus sign next to style definition - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

Hi everyone, I have a question about style sheets. I've imported a doent from Word. This file has only the Normal style from Word formatting it. I've also done some local italics in Word which I want to keep when in InDesign. I imported the file and in the options I checked "peserve styles and formatting from text and tables" which does keep the local italics when in Indesgin. Once in ID I've selected a whole heap of text and then control clicked on the first style I wanted and then chose "Apply style sheet, then next style" from the ...

  1. #1

    Default Plus sign next to style definition

    Hi everyone,

    I have a question about style sheets. I've imported a doent from Word. This file has only the Normal style from Word formatting it. I've also done some local italics in Word which I want to keep when in InDesign. I imported the file and in the options I checked "peserve styles and formatting from text and tables" which does keep the local italics when in Indesgin. Once in ID I've selected a whole heap of text and then control clicked on the first style I wanted and then chose "Apply style sheet, then next style" from the context menu which automatically styles each paragraph one after the other. The problem is that when I click on a style and then look in the style pallette I see the little plus symbol indicating that local formatting has been applied, but the paragraphs I clicked on don't have any local formatting added, so I'm wondering why the plus sign is there. Is it because I used the "Apply style sheet then next style" command? If so is there anyway around this? I know that the paragraphs with the italics should have the plus sign but the remaining ones shouldn't.

    Any help much appreciated.

    Thanks
    gher@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Plus sign next to style definition

    If you hover your mouse over the style name that has the plus sign, a little tip should pop up telling what kind of local formatting was applied.
    Fred_Goldman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    If you have local italics in the paragraphs without using a character style, this will show up as local formating. I strongly suggest you create a character style for italics and do a find/change. This will ensure that you don't lose your italics. Then you can force your paragraph styles by holding down the alt/opt key while clicking on the paragraph style--this will do away with undesirable local formatting.
    Diane_King@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks so much for the helpful answers. I've decided to use character styles as you've suggested. I just wondered if, after I've applied all styles - character and paragraph - if there was a way to select everything and then force all styles at once?
    gher@adobeforums.com Guest