Professional Web Applications Themes

PNG best format for exporting AI art for use in MSPP? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I have some maps done in AI CS2 with placed PSD images and my client wants to use them in a Powerpoint presentation. Should I give her PNG files? Saw some past threads that mentioned this as a viable way to handle it. Should I keep things as CMYK or convert to RGB? What about resolution? I assume that depends on the screen resolution on the machine delivering the PPT presentation--probably just give her something about 1600 pixels wide and she can downsize as needed in PPT. Thanks for the help....

  1. #1

    Default PNG best format for exporting AI art for use in MSPP?

    Ed_Geis@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Ed,

    PNG will work, but be aware that PNG is 100% raster. I mention that because it sounds like you've got a combination of vectors and rasters, and saving as PNG will rasterize your vector elements, possibly producing undesirable results.

    Do you have MS-Powerpoint? If so, before making a final decision on how you'll get this done, try:

    In Illustrator, Select > All, Edit > Copy. Go to PPT and choose Edit > Paste Special > Enhanced Metafile. When this works, it preserves vectors.

    As far as CMYK vs. RGB...saving as PNG or pasting in PPT will result in RGB anyway, so unless it produces a severe color shift, (and it shouldn't, given that RGB is the wider gamut), there should be no need for conversion up-front.

    I hope that helps.
    John
    John Guest

  3. #3

    Unfortunately I don't have powerpoint and have never used it (well, maybe I should say "fortunately").

    So I'm flying a little blind here. And my client doesn't have AI, so UI don't think your proposed method will work.

    I was thinking about a way to preserve the vector stuff--is there a suitable file format I can give her that will both preserver vector and be very easy for her to import?
    Ed_Geis@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Well, WMF and/or EMF, in theory, SHOULD work, but AI's export of those formats seems to be notorious for going awry in some way. Forcing Postscript data into a non-postscript format/workflow can get stupid on many levels.

    How many of these map > PPT slide conversions do you need? If it's a managable number, I may offer to help, if you're willing to send me the AI files, or PDF's.
    John Guest

  5. #5

    Just tried EMF and WMF, made for big files (10 MB versus under 1 with PNG) and I couldn't open either in PS (!?) Not sure that's the right route to go when my client's under pressure. Last thing she needs is to fudge around with massive files that might or might not work.

    Thanks very much for you offer, but I have 14 of these babies to convert and there's no need to trouble you. The PNGs I've done so far all look pretty good (I opened them in Photoshop to preview) and the files sizes are nice and small.

    Was wondering about PDFs though?
    Ed_Geis@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    The "Save for Microsoft Office" seems like a logical choice, but it has no options so "Save for Web" seems like a better bet.
    Ed_Geis@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Ed,

    If you're getting acceptable results with PNG, then in your situation, it's probably the best bet.

    PDF would be great, except PPT can do a damn thing with PDF's. MS Office just isn't Postscript-friendly.
    John Guest