Professional Web Applications Themes

png files vs jpg and gifs and bmp - Macromedia Fireworks

These files are so confusing to me. Do I keep the png as the original file and make modifications to the other formats? Sometimes the image looks like a bmp other times it looks like a jpg or a gif. When in insert the file into my htm page it has either a direct link to the non png file then also a FW target source with shows that shows where the original png file is. When I bring up the original png file, then look at it from a 2up or 4 up layout, how do I get it ...

  1. #1

    Default png files vs jpg and gifs and bmp

    These files are so confusing to me. Do I keep the png as the original file and make modifications to the other formats? Sometimes the image looks like a bmp other times it looks like a jpg or a gif.

    When in insert the file into my htm page it has either a direct link to the non png file then also a FW target source with shows that shows where the original png file is.

    When I bring up the original png file, then look at it from a 2up or 4 up layout, how do I get it to chose the modifications that I make in either the 2up or 4up window?

    bridget123 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: png files vs jpg and gifs and bmp

    Hi Bridget:

    I treat the PNG file that I save in FW as the "master file". Because FW
    png's will maintain all your layers, objects and editability, it's the file
    I return to to make adjustments. From there, I export the appropriate web
    format (jpg or gif) for use on the web page. Avoid re-editing and
    resaving/exporting jpg files, as the quality level drops every time a jpg is
    resaved. Make your modifcations/adjustments in the PNG, and export from
    there.

    Viewing in 2-up and 4-up is for image optimization only. If you want to make
    edits to the image, you need have the "original" tab selected, or be working
    in the "original" pane of 2-up or 4-up. If your concern here is how to
    export the optimization settings in 2-up or 4-up, you do so by selecting one
    of the optimization panes, tweaking your settings, and then with that pane
    still active, you can either export directly by going to FILE>EXPORT or you
    can switch back to the original tab, save the png, and those optimization
    settings will be saved as part of the png file. Then you can, once again, go
    to FILE>EXPORT to export for the web.

    You may also want to try out the Export Preview feature in the file menu.
    That may be more helpful to you, as it separates what you're doing in
    Fireworks in terms of editing, from the export process.

    HTH

    --

    -

    "bridget123" <com> wrote in message
    file and make modifications to the other formats? Sometimes the image looks
    like a bmp other times it looks like a jpg or a gif.
    the non png file then also a FW target source with shows that shows where
    the original png file is.
    layout, how do I get it to chose the modifications that I make in either the
    2up or 4up window?

    Jim Guest

  3. #3

    hi...

    if I had a template which is saved as .png and wanted to use it as a template for all my pages, what steps should I take?

    i tried exporting the .png file but it saved it as an image. do I need to slice up the original further and then export that? I am just confused about how I should approach this?

    Help will be appreciated.

    aju23 Guest