Professional Web Applications Themes

PNG images do not display on Fedora Core 5 - Macromedia Flash Player

As a JAlbum/Banbum user, I require a Macromedia Flash Player to "play" my generated photo albums. Things were working fine until I upgraded from Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 5. After the upgrade, albums created with links to original PNG images do not display the image but do display the generated thumbnail (a JPG file). Links to original JPG images work fine. In any case, all albums work fine when played from my Windows XP machine. I upgraded my flash player (7.0.63.0), jalbum (6.4) and my JRE (1.5.0_06), to no avail. The same albums created with another skin (say, ...

  1. #1

    Default PNG images do not display on Fedora Core 5

    As a JAlbum/Banbum user, I require a Macromedia Flash Player to "play" my
    generated photo albums.

    Things were working fine until I upgraded from Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 5.
    After the upgrade, albums created with links to original PNG images do not
    display the image but do display the generated thumbnail (a JPG file).
    Links to original JPG images work fine.

    In any case, all albums work fine when played from my Windows XP machine.

    I upgraded my flash player (7.0.63.0), jalbum (6.4) and my JRE (1.5.0_06), to
    no avail.

    The same albums created with another skin (say, the non-flash Chameleon skin)
    work fine.

    It seems that my flash player cannot handle PNG images.

    Help!?

    rtyle Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PNG images do not display on Fedora Core 5

    I burned a slideshow on a DVD about a month ago using my old setup (Fedora Core
    4, JAlbum 6.2, Java 1.5.0_05, Flash 7.0.25.0) and it plays fine now with my new
    setup (Fedora Core, JAlbum 6.4, Java 1.5.0_06, Flash 7.0.63.0).

    So, I tried recreating the album I burned on DVD using Fedora Core 5, JAlbum
    6.2 and Java 1.5.0_06.
    I figured that I might see some differences in the generated files that would
    give me a clue.
    To my surprise, I didn't see any significant differences.
    The only differences that there were were dates in the album.xml file and each
    of the JPG thumbnails compared different.
    Since I was not having any problem with the thumbnails, this could not be
    significant.
    Maybe the date is encoded in the JPG file.

    Anyway, since there was no significant difference in the generated files the
    album should work, right?

    It did!

    This got me thinking.
    There must be something different about the PNG files.
    Certainly the pictures are different but that couldn't be it.

    The first set of pictures were all captured under Windows XP using Sony Vegas
    6.0 from a captured VHS home video.
    There were some strange interlacing artifacts that caused trouble with these
    snapshots that I was able to correct by using CorelDraw 12's PhotoPaint and
    applying a 1 pixel gaussian blur.

    The second set of pictures were taken the same way except that I found a
    setting in Vegas that made it unnecesary for the post processing.

    I guessed that there is something in the second set of PNG files that upsets
    Flash Player 7.
    So, I took one of the files, opened it up with Gimp and saved it.
    It worked!

    Evidently, there is some some Flash sensitivity to certain kinds of PNG files.

    Does this make sense?
    Do you have any idea what the sensitivity is?
    Is this fixed in Flash Player 8?
    Will the albums I make now (using the aforementioned software versions) work
    later when I am able to get Flash Player 8?

    Thanks!

    rtyle Guest

  3. #3

    Here is a script that I used on Linux to convert all my PNG files $FROM
    something objectionable $TO something digestable.

    cd $FROM
    mkdir $TO
    for i in *.png; do pngtopnm < $i | pnmtopng > $TO/$i; done

    One can use the -verbose option of the pngtopnm tool to report information on
    the source PNG file.
    When I did this on a $from file and a $to file, the difference was:

    diff $from $to
    < pngtopnm: truecolor+alpha, not interlaced, base filter
    ---
    > pngtopnm: truecolor, not interlaced, base filter
    So, it appears that "+alpha" is the problem that flash has.
    Yes?

    rtyle Guest

  4. #4

    Sorry.
    I'm an idiot.

    It turns out that this problem has nothing to do with my upgrades.

    On further inspection, the DVD a made a month ago did not link to the original
    PNG images so a parallel set of JPG images were made in the album/slides
    directory.
    That is why it works under Linux.
    When I created this album _and_ when I repeated the operation, I did not check
    the Link to originals check box.

    The only time albums work with PNG originals on Linux, with Flash 7, is when
    the originals are not used and JPG copies are.

    It appears that Linux Flash 7 simply can't deal with PNG images while Windows
    XP Flash 7 can.

    rtyle Guest