Professional Web Applications Themes

PNG / Printing Company Woes - Macromedia Fireworks

I did a nice (IMHO) logo and business card for a local business in Fireworks 4. When it came time to turn the project over to the printer they balked at PNG and wanted either AI or a PDF file. PDF looks terrible because the fonts on the business card or so small and the AI files I have exported from Fireworks are 'corrupt' according to the printer. I am hesitant to throw in the towel because there is money on the table and a brochure in the works and I want the work. Has any other PC-based Fireworks user ...

  1. #1

    Default PNG / Printing Company Woes

    I did a nice (IMHO) logo and business card for a local business in Fireworks
    4. When it came time to turn the project over to the printer they balked at
    PNG and wanted either AI or a PDF file. PDF looks terrible because the fonts
    on the business card or so small and the AI files I have exported from
    Fireworks are 'corrupt' according to the printer.

    I am hesitant to throw in the towel because there is money on the table and
    a brochure in the works and I want the work.

    Has any other PC-based Fireworks user been able to overcome these issues?

    Thanks,

    Chris G.

    ---

    Chris L. Gray Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PNG / Printing Company Woes

    They probably meant to say "PSD" (Photoshop doent)

    You'll need to get it to them like that so they can convert the colorspace
    to CYMK.

    If you want, send over the file and I'll render it in CYMK for you in a .psd
    and I'll even send it to the printer for ya. :)

    --
    BR
    "foosball is th' DEVIL, Bobby Bouchet"

    "Chris L. Gray" < wrote in message
    > I did a nice (IMHO) logo and business card for a local business in
    Fireworks
    > 4. When it came time to turn the project over to the printer they balked
    at
    > PNG and wanted either AI or a PDF file. PDF looks terrible because the
    fonts
    > on the business card or so small and the AI files I have exported from
    > Fireworks are 'corrupt' according to the printer.
    >
    > I am hesitant to throw in the towel because there is money on the table
    and
    > a brochure in the works and I want the work.
    >
    > Has any other PC-based Fireworks user been able to overcome these issues?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chris G.
    >

    > ---

    Bill Ray Guest

  3. #3

    Actually they probably did mean PDF...

    Check the Adobe website for their white papers on "Print Services Workflow"

    It's something they have been trying to push since Acrobat 4.0

    Now they're just going to be making more money from it because CYMK and
    preflight are only available in the Pro Edition of the latest release of
    Acrobat. Although, both editions will do font-embedding.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    "Bill Ray" <billbillraydrums.com> wrote in message
    > They probably meant to say "PSD" (Photoshop doent)
    >
    > You'll need to get it to them like that so they can convert the colorspace
    > to CYMK.
    >
    > If you want, send over the file and I'll render it in CYMK for you in a
    ..psd
    > and I'll even send it to the printer for ya. :)
    >
    > --
    > BR
    > "foosball is th' DEVIL, Bobby Bouchet"
    >

    > "Chris L. Gray" < wrote in message
    > > I did a nice (IMHO) logo and business card for a local business in
    > Fireworks
    > > 4. When it came time to turn the project over to the printer they balked
    > at
    > > PNG and wanted either AI or a PDF file. PDF looks terrible because the
    > fonts
    > > on the business card or so small and the AI files I have exported from
    > > Fireworks are 'corrupt' according to the printer.
    > >
    > > I am hesitant to throw in the towel because there is money on the table
    > and
    > > a brochure in the works and I want the work.
    > >
    > > Has any other PC-based Fireworks user been able to overcome these
    issues?

    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Chris G.
    > >

    > > ---

    Sam Poikail Guest

  4. #4

    "Chris L. Gray" <chrisggorilla365.com> wrote in message
    > I did a nice (IMHO) logo and business card for a local business in
    Fireworks
    > 4. When it came time to turn the project over to the printer they balked
    at
    > PNG and wanted either AI or a PDF file. PDF looks terrible because the
    fonts
    > on the business card or so small and the AI files I have exported from
    > Fireworks are 'corrupt' according to the printer.
    Since your FW image should be "rasterized" before the output, there's no
    such a problem as "too small fonts". I wonder how exactly you prepare your
    PDF output? Most of the FW stuff cannot be exported to any good PostScript
    code, unless it is exported to bitmaps. So, you must be exporting to, or
    printing to, bitmaps with sufficient resolution (for a photos, 200 ppi will
    do in most of the cases. 300 ppi will "overdo" in any case. For the stuff
    like text (single color, no halftoning) 600 ppi will work).

    What as to to issue of converting RGB colors used by FW to some sort of
    "separations" (be it CMYK or spot colors) - that's a *very* complicated
    job. If the "printing folks" are professional enough, they should handle
    that. If not, you better search for other folks that are good enough.
    Beleive me, this sort of a job is not something that can be explained in a
    single newsgroup post - it requires years of practical experience. Well, at
    least it required several years from me :-))) , and after all these years I
    can assure you that the proper separation job cannot be done without having
    proper calibration tables from *this very particular* printing service.
    There's no solution that *always* work - the solution is based on the
    properties of particular output. Unless you're really deep into that, you
    better make the professionals do the job.

    Ilyich.
    Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    [url]http://photoshop.msk.ru/[/url] - Photoshop plug-in filters
    "Hmmm... as general rule, corpses aren't too much fun" - Umgah,
    Star Control II

    Ilya Razmanov Guest

  5. #5

    better still use a print layout programme freehand/coreldraw/illustrator...

    I think with the amount of posts about using fireworks for print that there
    should be a tutorial on the MM site or somewhere about using FW for print.
    Hey i know it's not for print (i heard it's a web graphics app!) but that's
    not your problem that's the printers (poor printers!).

    well that's my 2euros :)

    "Lanny Chambers" <lannyhummingbirds.net> wrote in message
    > In article <bh1056$a54$1forums.macromedia.com>,
    > "Ilya Razmanov" <ilyichioc.ac.ru> wrote:
    >
    > > Since your FW image should be "rasterized" before the output, there's no
    > > such a problem as "too small fonts". I wonder how exactly you prepare
    your
    > > PDF output? Most of the FW stuff cannot be exported to any good
    PostScript
    > > code, unless it is exported to bitmaps. So, you must be exporting to, or
    > > printing to, bitmaps with sufficient resolution (for a photos, 200 ppi
    will
    > > do in most of the cases. 300 ppi will "overdo" in any case. For the
    stuff
    > > like text (single color, no halftoning) 600 ppi will work).
    >
    > Following Ilya's advice, simply export the business card as a 600 dpi
    > TIFF file. If the printer can't handle that, find one who can.
    >
    > --
    > Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    > [url]http://www.hummingbirds.net/[/url]

    David Prescott Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for all the help. The TIFF file makes a much better looking PDF.

    Thanks!

    Chris G.