Professional Web Applications Themes

Poor Network Performance - Mac Applications & Software

In article <310820032336116703%net>, Davoud <net> wrote:   I have an almost identical set-up to that which you describe, except that I don't have a printer attached to my router and instead of G3 tower I have a G4. Other than that, it's almost exact--original Airport base station, Lynksys router (though mine's I think a four or six-port), two Powerbooks connected via wireless, etc. I don't have the kinds of network slowdowns you describe, or at least if I do, they're so minor as to never catch my attention. So I don't think it's anything inherent in the fact that it's ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Poor Network Performance

    In article <310820032336116703%net>, Davoud <net> wrote:

    I have an almost identical set-up to that which you describe, except that I
    don't have a printer attached to my router and instead of G3 tower I have a
    G4. Other than that, it's almost exact--original Airport base station,
    Lynksys router (though mine's I think a four or six-port), two Powerbooks
    connected via wireless, etc. I don't have the kinds of network slowdowns
    you describe, or at least if I do, they're so minor as to never catch my
    attention. So I don't think it's anything inherent in the fact that it's a
    Mac network.

    From what you describe, I would focus on the Airport base station, at least
    as a preliminary suspect. But:

    Do you experience the same internet sluggishness on the G3 that's hardwired
    to the router?

    have you been uploading the most recent firmware updates to the base
    station and the router?

    the original base station had some hardware problems and always
    seemed/seems a little crappy. I had to replace a couple of capacitors in it
    when they blew out. but it has always given me good connection speeds.

    You're not using any sort of proxy server, are you?

    Have you tested your speeds using the speed-measurement tools at http://www.dslreports.com/
    to get some sort of standarized or objective baseline to measure against?

    Do you have encryption turned on on the base station, or anything else that
    might slow down the network?

    From what I can see, you're actually asking several questions here, or
    rather, several different factors might be confounded in your question. For
    example, my AFP transfer speeds under OS X have never been as good as they
    were under OS 9. (But, they are either good enough or else I use FTP or KDX
    to transfer files when I need to.) On the other hand, the difference in my
    speeds for WWW surfing for OS 9 as opposed to OS X hasn't ever been
    appreciable.

    Yep. Annoying. That's the Finder we all know and love.

    This, however, is NOT my experience.

    sam Guest

  2. #2

    Davoud: [/ref]

    sam grey:

    Yes.

    Yes.
    My Windows machine also uses it, and is very speedy in network and
    Internet operations, so I think that pretty much eliminates it as a
    suspect.

    No.

    No. But I have real-world download tests--same file on the Windows
    machine and on the Mac. And same file on two friends' Mac networks.
    They're pretty much equally slow.
    No.

    > This, however, is NOT my experience.[/ref]
    This occurs on both PowerBooks as well as the OS 9 machine.

    Thanks for taking time to reply.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  3. #3

    In article <010920031555567016%net>, Davoud <net> wrote:

    > Yes.[/ref]

    well, I guess what you could do is pick one computer--the G3, for
    instance--and connect it straight to the cable modem with nothing in
    between. go to www.dslreports.com and get an idea of how fast your speeds
    are. then connect the Windows laptop directly into the cable modem. Do the
    same thing. Eliminate all the middle stuff, all the extraneous variables,
    and if there still is a big difference, then either something in the Mac is
    inherently slower than the PC when it comes to networking, or, or . . .
    something else. Maybe that "something else" is configurable and thus
    fixable.
    sam Guest