Professional Web Applications Themes

poor quality EPS previews - Macromedia Freehand

A fellow worker at my office has been using Freehand since at least version 4.0 on the Mac but now she is using Freehand MX 11.0.2 under Mac OS X 10.2. Recently she's experienced a problem which she claims did not exist before. When she wants to move a graphic from Freehand to another program, she is used to exporting it as a Macintosh EPS. However, with Freehand 11/OS 10.2 the EPS graphic as viewed on the screen (which I think is actually a PICT approximation of the underlying PS) looks terrible--the line weights are off (too heavy), circles become ...

  1. #1

    Default poor quality EPS previews

    A fellow worker at my office has been using Freehand since at least version 4.0
    on the Mac but now she is using Freehand MX 11.0.2 under Mac OS X 10.2.
    Recently she's experienced a problem which she claims did not exist before.

    When she wants to move a graphic from Freehand to another program, she is used
    to exporting it as a Macintosh EPS. However, with Freehand 11/OS 10.2 the EPS
    graphic as viewed on the screen (which I think is actually a PICT approximation
    of the underlying PS) looks terrible--the line weights are off (too heavy),
    circles become ovals, arrows become misshapen, etc. She says that in the past,
    this didn't happen.

    So far I've explained that if the goal is to have a graphic that looks good on
    the screen, for example in a PowerPoint presentation, the best option is to use
    TIFF at 300 dpi. While if the goal is a graphic that looks good when printed
    out or converted into a PDF (e.g., creating a flyer in Quark Xpress which must
    also be turned into a PDF), then EPS will still produce excellent results even
    if it doesn't look good on the screen.

    Now, I'm wondering--

    1. Is my explanation correct?

    2. Has anyone else experienced this deterioration in quality of the EPS
    preview image, especially as compared with earlier versions of Freehand and/or
    Mac OS?

    3. Is there a way to create an EPS with Freehand which has a high-quality
    preview, so that she can just go back to using EPS for all purposes?

    Thanks much.

    ewilen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: poor quality EPS previews

    In article <d9a1qm$jtk$macromedia.com>,
    "ewilen" <com> wrote:

    Yes, especially for PowerPoint bitmaps are best although 300 PPI might
    be more than necessary unless the graphic will be scaled up by 400%.

    PowerPoint in OSX does a decent job at importing PDFs so that might be
    another route worth investigating. Keep in mind that vector EPS files
    are usually much smaller than when rendered as a bitmap.

    No, I haven't noticed that but then again I'm using FH 8 ;-) Perhaps
    she has set FH's export preferences to create bitmap previews? Those are
    fairly crude 72 PPI images. If so try unchecking that option.

    One way that I use fairly often is to create the graphic at 400% of the
    required size in FH and then, in the layout application, resize the EPS
    to 25%. That produces a preview with 4 x 72 PPI = 288 PPI, ideal for
    positioning. For this to work you need to enable bitmap previews.

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin Guest

  3. #3

    ewilen wrote:

    I'm not a PowerPoint user, but most are happy with a PNG export from FH.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  4. #4

    In article <d9a1qm$jtk$macromedia.com>,
    "ewilen" <com> wrote:

    Forgot to mention...

    by far the quickest way to bring graphics into Power Point, Word and
    other apps is by doing a screen snapshot to the clipboard and paste into
    the destination doent.

    On Mac the shortcut is comand + control + shift + 4 and drag around the
    objects you wish to capture. That produces an RGB bitmap.

    Given the limited screen resolution this is usually only good for
    onscreen presentations and printing to an office printer but often
    that's all that is needed.

    Cheers Martin

    --
    To reply by e-mail remove the "waste bin".
    Martin Guest