Professional Web Applications Themes

Pop up hides behind frame - Macromedia Fireworks

I have created a vertical row of buttons. Several of the buttons have pop-up menus that "fly out" to the right. My Dreamweaver page is divided with frames, a narrow frame on the left side for the nav buttons and a wide "content" frame on the right. The problem I am having is that the pop-ups are hidden behind the content frame. Any way around? Thanx DD "It's easy when you know how..." Johnny Shines...

  1. #1

    Default Pop up hides behind frame

    I have created a vertical row of buttons. Several of the buttons have
    pop-up menus that "fly out" to the right. My Dreamweaver page is
    divided with frames, a narrow frame on the left side for the nav
    buttons and a wide "content" frame on the right. The problem I am
    having is that the pop-ups are hidden behind the content frame. Any
    way around?
    Thanx
    DD
    "It's easy when you know how..."
    Johnny Shines
    David DeCristoforo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pop up hides behind frame

    David:

    The pop-up menus are layer based (that's what gives them the 'pop'). There
    is no practical way to have a layer in one page appear in the space
    allocated to another page (in a frameset).

    It is true. Your choices are limited now -

    1. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    site.
    2. Redesign your menus so that they do not need to span a frame boundary.
    3. Redesign the frameset so that you leave enough room for the largest
    popup.
    4. Move the layer code for the popups from the page in the navigation frame
    to each page in the content frame.
    5. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    site.

    I recommend either #1 or #5, depending on what your needs are. You just
    have no idea the horrors that await you if you continue with the frames.....
    8)

    And if you really want to do it right, dump both the frames and the pop-ups,
    and get back to basics.

    The DW/FW pop-ups will add at least 35K of code overhead to the first page
    using them, as well as a large dynamic write to *each* page containing the
    menus.

    You should also know that they link to your files using doent relative
    links that are hardcoded in your javacript - not only are these links
    invisible to the DW link management routines (i.e., when you move a page in
    the site, you break the link), but worse, they are also invisible to the
    search engine spiders, and accessability (508) requirements. The only way to
    solve the second problem is to make sure that your pages have alternate,
    HTML-based navigation links on them.

    I am not fond of these menus (as you have no doubt guessed) and feel that it
    is important to know what you are getting into before you may devote much
    time to them.

    There are some excellent alternatives to these pop-ups that have none of
    these problems. Here are two methods that are very simple -

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm[/url]

    or

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm[/url]

    Here is a method that is more 'hands on' but very slick and equally trouble
    free -

    [url]http://www.youngpup.net/?request=/components/ypSlideOutMenus.xml[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "David DeCristoforo" <davidwintersnet.net> wrote in message
    > I have created a vertical row of buttons. Several of the buttons have
    > pop-up menus that "fly out" to the right. My Dreamweaver page is
    > divided with frames, a narrow frame on the left side for the nav
    > buttons and a wide "content" frame on the right. The problem I am
    > having is that the pop-ups are hidden behind the content frame. Any
    > way around?
    > Thanx
    > DD
    > "It's easy when you know how..."
    > Johnny Shines

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    It's funny but,.. the longer I read these messages, the more
    similarities I see.. 8)

    Murray *TMM* wrote:
    >David:
    >
    >The pop-up menus are layer based (that's what gives them the 'pop'). There
    >is no practical way to have a layer in one page appear in the space
    >allocated to another page (in a frameset).
    >
    >It is true. Your choices are limited now -
    >
    >1. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    >site.
    >2. Redesign your menus so that they do not need to span a frame boundary.
    >3. Redesign the frameset so that you leave enough room for the largest
    >popup.
    >4. Move the layer code for the popups from the page in the navigation frame
    >to each page in the content frame.
    >5. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    >site.
    >
    >I recommend either #1 or #5, depending on what your needs are. You just
    >have no idea the horrors that await you if you continue with the frames.....
    >8)
    >
    >And if you really want to do it right, dump both the frames and the pop-ups,
    >and get back to basics.
    >
    >The DW/FW pop-ups will add at least 35K of code overhead to the first page
    >using them, as well as a large dynamic write to *each* page containing the
    >menus.
    >
    >You should also know that they link to your files using doent relative
    >links that are hardcoded in your javacript - not only are these links
    >invisible to the DW link management routines (i.e., when you move a page in
    >the site, you break the link), but worse, they are also invisible to the
    >search engine spiders, and accessability (508) requirements. The only way to
    >solve the second problem is to make sure that your pages have alternate,
    >HTML-based navigation links on them.
    >
    >I am not fond of these menus (as you have no doubt guessed) and feel that it
    >is important to know what you are getting into before you may devote much
    >time to them.
    >
    >There are some excellent alternatives to these pop-ups that have none of
    >these problems. Here are two methods that are very simple -
    >
    >[url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm[/url]
    >
    >or
    >
    >[url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm[/url]
    >
    >Here is a method that is more 'hands on' but very slick and equally trouble
    >free -
    >
    >[url]http://www.youngpup.net/?request=/components/ypSlideOutMenus.xml[/url]

    --

    Coen

    "The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary."
    _______________________________
    Please, don't E-mail me about Fireworks questions. Post them on the Forum.

    E-mail : ccnk at home.nl
    ================================
    Enhance Fireworks with these Productivity Resources

    *** DevNet ***
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks/[/url]
    *** Styles ***
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks/articles/style_samples.html[/url]
    [url]http://wetworks.nl/freestyler[/url]
    [url]http://richiebee.ca/fireworks.htm[/url]
    *** Flash Panels ***
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/studio/articles/fw_command_in_flash.html[/url]

    ccnk Guest

  4. #4

    I converted a huge menu system from FW pop-ups to P7 style menus and I can testify that they are easy to use and fast, fast loading(in comparison to pop-ups). They are also easier to edit and change later. Just follow the very good tutorial:

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm[/url]

    sly one webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    I just tested the young pup menus and they don't work correctly in Apple Safari.

    sly one webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    David DeCristoforo Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Murray *TMM* Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    David,
    Danilo Celic has two articles (tutorials) on accomplishing this very
    thing at [url]http://www.communitymx.com[/url]

    It does involve Show/Hide layer behaviors on both of the frames adding
    to the content pages' 'weight' as Murray points out but, the explanation
    of how to do it is there.

    I don't believe it's in the 'free' section either though. Could be worth
    the price of subscribing.

    HTH,
    SKB

    David DeCristoforo wrote:
    > I have created a vertical row of buttons. Several of the buttons have
    > pop-up menus that "fly out" to the right. My Dreamweaver page is
    > divided with frames, a narrow frame on the left side for the nav
    > buttons and a wide "content" frame on the right. The problem I am
    > having is that the pop-ups are hidden behind the content frame. Any
    > way around?
    > Thanx
    > DD
    > "It's easy when you know how..."