Professional Web Applications Themes

Pop up menu and Java Virtual Machine - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi I have been reading that microsoft is no longer including the MS Java Virtual Machine in the operating system and this will affect websites using applets or other things that use MSJVM, are the pop up menus made with fireworks 4 going to be affected?...

  1. #1

    Default Pop up menu and Java Virtual Machine

    Hi I have been reading that microsoft is no longer including the MS Java Virtual Machine in the operating system and this will affect websites using applets or other things that use MSJVM, are the pop up menus made with fireworks 4 going to be affected?

    ahamabata Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pop up menu and Java Virtual Machine

    You are confusing Java and javascript. Don't do that - they are as
    different as fish and bicycles. The dreaded DW/FW menus use the latter
    which is unaffected by the decision of Microsoft to not include the JVM.
    But you should not use these pop-ups anyhow because of the problems YOU will
    have with them. Search this forum for the many posts from people having
    such problems, and reconsider.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "ahamabata" <com> wrote in message
    Virtual Machine in the operating system and this will affect websites using
    applets or other things that use MSJVM, are the pop up menus made with
    fireworks 4 going to be affected?

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    OK thanks for the advise I'll search for the problems about pop-up menus. Also thanks for telling me the difference between java and javascript.

    ahamabata Guest

  4. #4

    You're welcome.

    You won't need to search hard - here are the problems -

    1. A search engine cannot read the links. This means that if these are the
    only navigation on your site, your site will not be ranked by spidering.

    2. A screen reader cannot read the links. This means that if these are the
    only navigation on your site, your site will not be accessable or meet 508
    guidelines.

    3. Dreamweaver cannot read the links. This means that if you move or
    rename a single linked file, you will break every menu on every page.

    4. These menus do not play well with templates. If you use these menus on
    a template page, and you want to make a change to the menus, you cannot -
    you would have to recreate them on insert them on a new page which is then
    saved over the original template.

    5. Using these menus will add at least 31K to the weight of the first page,
    PLUS the weight of the embedded menu javascript, which is about 2 - 10K
    depending on the complexity of the menu. In addition, every subsequent page
    to load will have to decode a large dynamic write to the page. All in all,
    it's a very poor system.

    There are others, but I won't go on....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575