Professional Web Applications Themes

Pop up menu from fireworks, flowing over in frames? - Macromedia Fireworks

Is it posible that a pop-menu from fireworks standing in a frame, flows over at an other frame? Like this example: http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~gdsauer/example/index.htm I now that it can be done in an table, but then I have to reload the entire menu at every page. So it would be great if this is possible :)...

  1. #1

    Default Pop up menu from fireworks, flowing over in frames?

    Is it posible that a pop-menu from fireworks standing in a frame, flows over at an other frame?

    Like this example: http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~gdsauer/example/index.htm

    I now that it can be done in an table, but then I have to reload the entire menu at every page.
    So it would be great if this is possible :)

    Tidalwave Guest

  2. #2

    The reason for using or not using frames should be based on a) your site's
    needs, and b) your willingness to accept the potential problems that frames
    can create for you as developer and maintainer of the site and for your
    visitors as casual users of the site.

    I am down on frames because I believe that they create many more problems
    than they solve.
    Judging from the posts here, and the kinds of problems that are described,
    the kind of person most likely to elect to use frames is also the kind of
    person most likely ill-prepared fo solve the ensuing problems when they
    arise. If you feel a) that you understand the problems and b) that you are
    prepared to handle them when they occur, and c) that you have a need to use
    frames, then by all means use them.

    As far as I know, the most comprehensive discussions of frames and their
    potential problems can be found on these two links -

    http://apptools.com/rants/framesevil.php
    http://www.MadCoWWWebDesign.com/go/?2

    There is no practical way to make a layer (that's how drop-down menus work)
    cross the boundary between two separate frames (i.e., two unique HTML
    pages).

    It is true. Your choices are limited now -

    1. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    site.
    2. Redesign your menus so that they do not need to span a frame boundary.
    3. Redesign the frameset so that you leave enough room for the largest
    popup.
    4. Move the layer code for the popups from the page in the navigation frame
    to each page in the content frame.
    5. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    site.

    I recommend either #1 or #5, depending on what your needs are. You just
    have no idea the horrors that await you if you continue with the frames.....
    8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Tidalwave" <com> wrote in message
    over at an other frame?
    entire menu at every page.

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you for your response!

    I must say, it's for the first time in years i am trying to work with frames again.
    Normally I'm using flash, but the problem with flash is that many people don't now that they do have download the flash player to watch the site :S
    Even when you .....well you probably now what I mean :-/
    The site I want to build now is for that kind of people, so I needed to try something new :)

    There internet connections are not so fast, so reloading the entire menu for every page is not a smart thing to do. ( ore I need to build a very ( don't know the word > 'a menu that has less kb's ))
    So I came up with the frames, scripting like xml and php is not my strongest side...
    But if there is a very easy tutorial I want to give it a shot :)

    So if there isn't a easy other way I am forced to use frames at this moment..
    I probably have to redesign my menu, so the pop-up menu can go in the same frame.

    But if possible I will dump the frames :)

    Tidalwave Guest

  4. #4

    Tidal:

    for every page is not a smart thing to do

    This is one of those persistent urban legends that is often used to justify
    using frames. When the SWF file is in the browser's cache, it is not
    reloaded from the server, it is merely fetched from the cache. The only
    time this would be a problem is if the 'movie' needs to not restart on each
    new page.

    moment..

    Nobody is forced to use frames. The cost is too heavy -

    http://apptools.com/rants/framesevil.php

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    ANSWERS
    ==================
    ==================

    "Tidalwave" <com> wrote in message
    frames again.
    don't now that they do have download the flash player to watch the site :S
    try something new :)
    for every page is not a smart thing to do. ( ore I need to build a very (
    don't know the word > 'a menu that has less kb's ))
    strongest side...
    moment..
    frame.

    Murray Guest

  5. #5

    Hey,

    I've got the same problem. I used the following workinstruction "technote ID 16648 (how to make pop up menu from fireworks MX appear in a different frame)" which you can download from the macromedia site.

    It didn't work for me but I am still trying. My mistake probably is that the frames where not nested.

    Bye TomTom and Jerry

    PS I hope you can view my results on the following link

    Referring URLs
    www.zellkaprun.nl

    JJSSMM Guest

  6. #6

    Your mistake was in using frames with pop-ups. Dump them both. Really.

    There is no practical way to make a layer (that's how drop-down menus work)
    cross the boundary between two separate frames (i.e., two unique HTML
    pages).

    It is true. Your choices are limited now -

    1. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    site.
    2. Redesign your menus so that they do not need to span a frame boundary.
    3. Redesign the frameset so that you leave enough room for the largest
    popup.
    4. Move the layer code for the popups from the page in the navigation frame
    to each page in the content frame.
    5. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    site.

    I recommend either #1 or #5, depending on what your needs are. You just
    have no idea the horrors that await you if you continue with the frames and
    with the pop-ups.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    "JJSSMM" <com> wrote in message
    ID 16648 (how to make pop up menu from fireworks MX appear in a different
    frame)" which you can download from the macromedia site.
    the frames where not nested.

    Murray Guest