Professional Web Applications Themes

Pop-up menu in Template? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Can pop-up menu be implemented in Template? I first created an HTML file, add pop-up menu in this HTML file. Then, I converted it to a Template. Is this doable? Any potential problem? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Pop-up menu in Template?

    engasi webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pop-up menu in Template?

    Thanks for your message. Could you please take a look at [url]http://www.insight.com/web/index.php[/url]. What technology do they use to generate their pop-up menu? Thank you very much.

    engasi webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    engasi:

    It's homemade....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "engasi" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your message. Could you please take a look at
    [url]http://www.insight.com/web/index.php[/url]. What technology do they use to
    generate their pop-up menu? Thank you very much.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  4. #4

    Actually they can! They also work very well, I use them on all of my sites. The secret is to use root specific files.
    This doent from Macromedia explains the steps well
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/fireworks/ts/doents/fwpopupssiteroot.htm[/url]

    Flog webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Re:Pop-up menu in Template?

    Flog:

    Wait'll you see what happens when you change a file's name.

    They work poorly at best. They are opaque to SE spiders and page readers.
    They should be removed from the product in the current incarnation, in my
    opinion.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  6. #6

    Murray,

    Do you mean if I use the pop-up menu provided by the Dreamweaver then it's hard to be indexed by the SE spiders which results lower ranking in the SE? Can Project7's code covercome this? What's the difference? I surely want the SE spider can index our site to have higher ranking.

    Please advise. Thanks.

    engasi

    engasi webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  7. #7

    Murray! Welcome back! How was your vacation?

    "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > Flog:
    >
    > Wait'll you see what happens when you change a file's name.
    >
    > They work poorly at best. They are opaque to SE spiders and page readers.
    > They should be removed from the product in the current incarnation, in my
    > opinion.
    >
    > --
    > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > ==================
    > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO GET
    > ANSWERS
    > ==================
    > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > ==================
    >
    > "Flog" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > > Actually they can! They also work very well, I use them on all of my
    > sites. The secret is to use root specific files.
    > > This doent from Macromedia explains the steps well

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/fireworks/ts/doents/fwpopupssiteroot.ht[/url]

    Bonnie In Sacramento Guest

  8. #8

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:04:23 +0000 (UTC), "engasi"
    [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    >Do you mean if I use the pop-up menu provided by the Dreamweaver then
    >it's hard to be indexed by the SE spiders which results lower ranking
    >in the SE? Can Project7's code covercome this? What's the difference?
    >I surely want the SE spider can index our site to have higher
    >ranking.
    What he means is that the built-in Show Popup Menu behavior writes the
    links using JavaScript. Search engines don't execute JavaScript. A
    search engine spider will visit your home page and will index it. It
    will then follow any links it finds in the doent to locate other
    pages in your site. If the only means of navigating to a page is
    through a JavaScript link (like in the built-in popup menu) it will
    not be indexed.

    Yes. Project VII popup menu method overcomes this because it uses real
    links, not JavaScript, to link to the pages. Using this method, the
    link exists in a "layer" or <div> that is hidden until the mouseover
    the menu trigger shows it. The spider doesn't know anything about it
    being hidden. It finds the link in the source code and follows it.

    Gary
    Gary White Guest