Professional Web Applications Themes

Pop-ups are 'hidden' behind flash animation - Macromedia Fireworks

Hey on this page that I have made http://testweb.bethelcrc.ca the FW pop-ups menu goes behind the flash animation when viewed on a PC, and on a Mac the pop-ups try to come in front but that doesn't really work either. Any help would be great. Dubs...

  1. #1

    Default Pop-ups are 'hidden' behind flash animation

    Hey on this page that I have made http://testweb.bethelcrc.ca the FW
    pop-ups menu goes behind the flash animation when viewed on a PC, and on a
    Mac the pop-ups try to come in front but that doesn't really work either.
    Any help would be great.

    Dubs

    Steven Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pop-ups are 'hidden' behind flash animation

    All Active content on a page will always rise to the top, so to speak,
    including Flash, certain form elements, Java applets, and Active X controls.
    This means that they do poke through layers. There is not a good
    cross-browser/platform reliable way to solve this issue, but if you can be
    confident in your visitors using IE 5+ or NN6+, then you can use the CSS
    wmode parameter. It doesn't work in all browsers (NN4) but it's implemented
    in the latest netscapes:
    http://devedge.netscape.com/

    MM articles:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/doents/flash_top_layer.htm

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Steven Dubbeldam" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Wow, so it sounds like my page's code is really ed up and I have no
    idea how that happened. But I guess that¹s the price you pay for being a
    designer rather than a coder. See my problems arise from not knowing HTML
    and just using DW purely visually.

    Thanks a lot for your help though and I will try to wade through what you
    have said and get it to work.

    Dubs

    Steven Guest

  4. #4

    Dubs:

    Just make sure that if you are using Flash, you keep it out of the way of
    your 'layers'.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Steven Dubbeldam" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  5. #5

    Rad, the wmode business totally worked for the problem of the pop-ups being
    hidden. Now its onto the mess of a page I have somehow created....So where
    should I insert the FW HTML for the nav bar then? I just put it into a table
    I think.

    Dubs

    Steven Guest

  6. #6

    Dubs:

    It only worked for you because you didn't look in enough browsers! 8(

    To get the FW HTML into the page, go to DW, and use INSERT | Image Objects >
    Fireworks HTML (in DMX2004).

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Steven Dubbeldam" <com> wrote in message
    being
    table

    Murray Guest

  7. #7

    Murray, are you saying that the fireworks code for the nav bar is messed up,
    or the code for the whole page? Because I made a new page in DW and inserted
    the FW code and it is still acting a bit strange at least on my Mac. The new
    page is posted at

    http://testweb.bethelcrc.ca

    Dubs

    Steven Guest

  8. #8

    Steve--

    It's not messed up, it's just a fact of life. Some browsers will not
    render the wmode fix that you applied correctly. In those older browsers
    (Netscape 4 which is like 6 years old at this point) the menus will go
    behind the Flash movie.

    So, you have two choices. Move your Flash movie, or make a decision on
    whether or not supporting an old browser is important to the goals of
    your site. If you have evidence that not many people will be using that
    particular browser, then don't worry about it. If you want to be sure
    that people will see your menus corrrectly no matter what browser they
    use then a redesign is in order.

    Kim

    --
    Kim Cavanaugh
    author, Beginner's Guides to Dreamweaver and Fireworks

    Kim Guest

  9. #9

    Ok, well I think I can live with the netscape 4 users getting ed, but
    the banner still acts funny when I view it on my mac in either safari, or
    IE, whats with that? It seems like the mouse pointer doesn't behave properly
    because it won't stay as a hand over the menu long enough to click it or
    even keep the flyout open.

    dubs

    Steven Guest

  10. #10

    Right. That's another trade-off youu'll have to be willing to make if
    you want to use those menus. Nothings "broken" on your end. Netscape
    based browsers and Safari won't display the hand pointer with the
    JavaScript that FW uses in those menus. so, just like with Netscape 4
    support, you have to decide how big an impact that will have on your
    viewers. If you find that it's a major distraction or an impediment to
    people navigating your site you'll have to use another method.

    I'd recommend the Simple Seven menu system that you can learn to build
    at www.projectseven.com. Go to the tutorials section. They take a little
    longer to put together but in the end you'll have far fewer problems to
    overcome. You'll still need the wmode fix for the Flash transparency
    issue, but you'll have faster loading pages that are much easier to
    maintain.

    Kim

  11. #11

    Kim Cavanaugh wrote:

    Almost 7 actually... ;-) NN4.0 was released in the spring of 1997.
    Stéphane Guest