Professional Web Applications Themes

Popup Menu and Netscape - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I created a popup menu in fireworks for a button on a web page. I imported the code into dreamweaver and tested it. It works fine with IE but does not work in Netscape 7. Is there something else I must do? Tom Thayer...

  1. #1

    Default Popup Menu and Netscape

    I created a popup menu in fireworks for a button on a web page. I imported
    the code into dreamweaver and tested it. It works fine with IE but does not
    work in Netscape 7. Is there something else I must do?
    Tom Thayer

    John Smith Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Popup Menu and Netscape

    Tom:

    I would need to see your code.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "John Smith" <someonemicrosoft.net> wrote in message
    > I created a popup menu in fireworks for a button on a web page. I imported
    > the code into dreamweaver and tested it. It works fine with IE but does
    not
    > work in Netscape 7. Is there something else I must do?
    > Tom Thayer

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you Murray. I made the changes suggested by Kim and it had no effect. I have not used hidden layers before. Is is an onmouseover, show hidden layer X?

    thayert Guest

  4. #4

    Tom:

    Yep - it's just that simple. But the trick will be to get the layer to HIDE
    when you don't need it.

    So - imagine this scenario. There are TWO hidden layers on the page. One
    is floating ABOVE the other (i.e., has a higher z-index). The lower of the
    two can be any size you want (in fact, you can make it fill the whole page),
    but it must contain a transparent GIF image that is sized to fill the layer,
    and it must be positioned so that its left margin abuts the right margin of
    the menu buttons. The layer above it contains your calendar menu.

    Now - select your button in the main menu, and use the (onMouseOver) event
    to trigger a SHOW of both layers. Then select the transparent GIF image and
    use the (onMouseOver) event to trigger a HIDE of both layers. In your case,
    make sure that the Calendar submenu is also directly abutting the right
    margin of the Calendar button (you'll see why in a minute).

    So - here's what will happen. When you mouse over the menu Calendar button,
    you will see the calendar submenu appear. As you move your mouse from the
    Calendar button to the calendar submenu, since the submenu is immediately
    adjacent to the button, it will mask the underlying (onMouseOver) event from
    triggering (the one on the transparent GIF image), so the layer remains
    visible. You will then be able to select any option within the calendar
    submenu you wish.

    If you move your mouse above, below or to the right of the calendar submenu,
    you will immediately trigger the underlying mouseover event which will hide
    both layers, and the submenu disappears.

    Now your only problem is to make the submenu layer disappear if you mouse
    left back to the main menu and then move up or down. To fix this, just
    apply the HIDE behavior to the Handbook, and the Athletics buttons so that
    both layers are hidden.

    See what I mean?

    You have now taken about 40K of code for the pop-ups, and changed it to
    about 4K of code for the layers, and achieved the same functionality....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "thayert" <com> wrote in message
    effect. I have not used hidden layers before. Is is an onmouseover, show
    hidden layer X?

    Murray Guest

  5. #5

    Thank you Murray. It worked like a charm. You are a genius!
    Tom

    thayert Guest

  6. #6

    Tom:

    You're very welcome. It's a bit easier that way, no?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

    "thayert" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  7. #7

    Yes it is easier. I have run into another problem with it though. I put my list of months in a table. Now when the cursor hits the table, the layer disappears. How can i prevent that?

    thayert Guest

  8. #8

    I fixed it Murray. It was not the table at all. I had both layers at 106px from the left. I changed the one with the transparent gif to 107px and that cured it.

    thayert Guest

  9. #9

    Tom:

    See how easy that was? 8)