Professional Web Applications Themes

Popup Menus - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

Hello, I am just starting to make popup menus with FW4. Is it the case that the popped menu will only appear relative to the "container" whether frame, layer or table? -- "Cheers" \ | // (o o) ------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo------------ Bill Jaynes Swan River Software (406) 837 4132 | [email]supportshesmylittle.com[/email] [url]www.shesmylittle.com/index.htm[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Popup menus

    --
    "Cheers" \\ | //
    (o o)
    ------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo------------
    Bill Jaynes
    Swan River Software
    (406) 837 4132 | [email]supportshesmylittle.com[/email]
    [url]www.shesmylittle.com/index.htm[/url]

    Bill Jaynes Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Popup menus

    Bill:

    Here's the truth about the pop-up menus....

    They will add at least 35K of code overhead to the first page, as well as a
    large dynamic write to each page containing the menus.

    You should also know that they link to your files using doent relative
    links that are hardcoded in your javacript - not only are these links
    invisible to the DW link management routines (i.e., when you move a page in
    the site, you break the link), but worse, they are also invisible to the
    search engine spiders, and accessability (508) requirements. You can solve
    the
    first of these link problems by converting your links to ROOT RELATIVE
    links,
    but you still have no link management capability through DW should you later
    rename or move any linked file. The only way to solve the second problem is
    make sure that your pages have alternate, HTML-based navigation links on
    them.

    I am not fond of these menus (as you have no doubt guessed) and feel that it
    is important to know what you are getting into before you may devote much
    time to them.

    There are some excellent alternatives to these pop-ups that have none of
    these problems. Here are two methods that are very simple -

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm[/url]

    or

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm[/url]

    Here is a method that is more 'hands on' but very slick and equally trouble
    free -

    [url]http://www.youngpup.net/?request=/components/ypSlideOutMenus.xml[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Bill Jaynes" <bjaynesmontanaport.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I am just starting to make popup menus with FW4. Is it the case that
    the
    > popped menu will only appear relative to the "container" whether frame,
    > layer or table?
    >
    > --
    > "Cheers" \\ | //
    > (o o)
    > ------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo------------
    > Bill Jaynes
    > Swan River Software
    > (406) 837 4132 | [email]supportshesmylittle.com[/email]
    > [url]www.shesmylittle.com/index.htm[/url]

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks very much Murray; those other solutions look interesting. I'd seen
    really effective use of something called bbMenu at...

    [url]http://www.newmillennium.com/[/url]

    It seems there are a lot of ways to do this.
    Thanks again,
    Bill

    "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > Bill:
    >
    > Here's the truth about the pop-up menus....
    >
    > They will add at least 35K of code overhead to the first page, as well as
    > large dynamic write to each page containing the menus.
    >
    > You should also know that they link to your files using doent relative
    > links that are hardcoded in your javacript - not only are these links
    > invisible to the DW link management routines (i.e., when you move a page
    in
    > the site, you break the link), but worse, they are also invisible to the
    > search engine spiders, and accessability (508) requirements. You can
    solve
    > the
    > first of these link problems by converting your links to ROOT RELATIVE
    > links,
    > but you still have no link management capability through DW should you
    later
    > rename or move any linked file. The only way to solve the second problem
    is
    > make sure that your pages have alternate, HTML-based navigation links on
    > them.
    >
    > I am not fond of these menus (as you have no doubt guessed) and feel that
    it
    > is important to know what you are getting into before you may devote much
    > time to them.
    >
    > There are some excellent alternatives to these pop-ups that have none of
    > these problems. Here are two methods that are very simple -
    >
    > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm[/url]
    >
    > or
    >
    > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm[/url]
    >
    > Here is a method that is more 'hands on' but very slick and equally
    trouble
    > free -
    >
    > [url]http://www.youngpup.net/?request=/components/ypSlideOutMenus.xml[/url]
    >

    > --
    > Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    Bill Jaynes Guest

  4. #4

    Please don't use that site as a guide -

    1. <body> tag in head of doent:

    marginheight="0" marginwidth="0">
    <META NAME="robots" CONTENT="ALL">

    2. No <body> tag after head:

    </head>
    class="headercolour">

    3. Deprecated code:

    4. Second <body> tag deep in page's code with nonsense attribute:

    5. A huge bolus of embedded code to describe the menus, and links, none of
    which would be spidered.

    6. Redundant </body> tags:

    My advice - learn how to do it right, and roll your own.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Thanks very much Murray; those other solutions look interesting. I'd seen
    > really effective use of something called bbMenu at...
    >
    > [url]http://www.newmillennium.com/[/url]
    >
    > It seems there are a lot of ways to do this.
    > Thanks again,
    > Bill
    >

    > "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > > Bill:
    > >
    > > Here's the truth about the pop-up menus....
    > >
    > > They will add at least 35K of code overhead to the first page, as well
    as
    > > large dynamic write to each page containing the menus.
    > >
    > > You should also know that they link to your files using doent
    relative
    > > links that are hardcoded in your javacript - not only are these links
    > > invisible to the DW link management routines (i.e., when you move a page
    > in
    > > the site, you break the link), but worse, they are also invisible to the
    > > search engine spiders, and accessability (508) requirements. You can
    > solve
    > > the
    > > first of these link problems by converting your links to ROOT RELATIVE
    > > links,
    > > but you still have no link management capability through DW should you
    > later
    > > rename or move any linked file. The only way to solve the second
    problem
    > is
    > > make sure that your pages have alternate, HTML-based navigation links on
    > > them.
    > >
    > > I am not fond of these menus (as you have no doubt guessed) and feel
    that
    > it
    > > is important to know what you are getting into before you may devote
    much
    > > time to them.
    > >
    > > There are some excellent alternatives to these pop-ups that have none of
    > > these problems. Here are two methods that are very simple -
    > >
    > > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm[/url]
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm[/url]
    > >
    > > Here is a method that is more 'hands on' but very slick and equally
    > trouble
    > > free -
    > >
    > > [url]http://www.youngpup.net/?request=/components/ypSlideOutMenus.xml[/url]
    > >

    > > --
    > > Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  5. #5

    Hello,

    Is their a way of adding pop-up menus to text rather than pictures?
    SimAda00 Guest

  6. #6

    Yes.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  7. #7

    could you please advise me as to how this is done
    SimAda00 Guest

  8. #8

    What is your skill level with HTML/CSS/javascript?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  9. #9

    Very basic, not particually good, although i am quite conversant with VB.net if that makes any difference
    SimAda00 Guest

  10. #10

    No, it doesn't help in this case.

    Why not examine the several menu products offered at PVII - I use them on
    just about every site I build and find them the best I have seen....

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  11. #11

    Why do you recommend buying a separate product for this purpose when it should
    work in DW?

    I am also having problems in DW8.02 adding pop-ups to my nav bars. Following
    the DW help instructions, I highlight the image on the nav bar and select Tag >
    Behaviors but the Pop-up choice is not active. Same for any text link.

    ray@raywebprojects.com Guest

  12. #12

    > Why do you recommend buying a separate product for this purpose when it
    > should
    > work in DW?
    1. I didn't recommend buying a separate product. The links I gave you are
    all free.

    2. It should work, but it doesn't.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "rayraywebprojects.com" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Why do you recommend buying a separate product for this purpose when it
    > should
    > work in DW?
    >
    > I am also having problems in DW8.02 adding pop-ups to my nav bars.
    > Following
    > the DW help instructions, I highlight the image on the nav bar and select
    > Tag >
    > Behaviors but the Pop-up choice is not active. Same for any text link.

    Murray *ACE* Guest