Professional Web Applications Themes

Popup menus skewed - Macromedia Fireworks

I have created a nav bar with buttons in Fireworks that also has popup menus. The buttons work correctly in my page however, due to the fact that the nav bar resides in a table, when I minimize the page the popups get skewed. They apparently are hard coded with in the table and when I minimize the popups stay in the same place, but the actual nav bar adjusts to the page size, causing the menus to get out of alignment with the buttons. How can I correct this? Thanks for the help....

  1. #1

    Default Popup menus skewed

    I have created a nav bar with buttons in Fireworks that also has popup menus. The buttons work correctly in my page however, due to the fact that the nav bar resides in a table, when I minimize the page the popups get skewed. They apparently are hard coded with in the table and when I minimize the popups stay in the same place, but the actual nav bar adjusts to the page size, causing the menus to get out of alignment with the buttons. How can I correct this?

    Thanks for the help.

    teryc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Popup menus skewed

    "teryc" com wrote:

    Fireworks exports the menus in a fixed width table positioned, by
    default, at the left edge of the page. As long as you leave it there
    you'll avoid the most common problems with pop-up menus.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  3. #3

    Linda:

    I have worked with Tery extensively, and recall that others have posted this
    same question. It seemed to me that there was a technote that explained how
    to manage a centering menu bar, but from your response, I guess I was
    mistaken.

    The centering menu bar is a part of Tery's overall page layout. To change
    to left aligned at this point would require redoing that approach
    completely. If she were to do that, then it would be my advice to not use
    the FW pop-ups at all in the redesign....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "teryc" <com> wrote in message
    menus. The buttons work correctly in my page however, due to the fact that
    the nav bar resides in a table, when I minimize the page the popups get
    skewed. They apparently are hard coded with in the table and when I
    minimize the popups stay in the same place, but the actual nav bar adjusts
    to the page size, causing the menus to get out of alignment with the
    buttons. How can I correct this?

    Murray Guest

  4. #4

    It depends on which version of Fireworks she is using. If it's FW 4,
    then the pop-up menus use absolute positioning that's based on their
    distance from the top left of the canvas in FW. They must remain in that
    position in Dreamweaver, unless she uses one of the workarounds, such as
    Popup Menus Motivator by E. Michael Brandt (which can be downloaded from
    the Macromedia exchange). This solution is not entirely satisfactory, as
    far as I know.

    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fireworks/ts/doents/pop-up_location.htm

    In FW MX and MX 2004 the pop-ups are positioned relative to the trigger
    image. I believe that unless some problem has arisen due to nesting
    elements in DW, their position should remain relative to the trigger
    images.

    I never use the things myself so I can't say from experience.

  5. #5

    Linda Rathgeber wrote:

    Except in certain situations in IE5-Mac :-). They will be off by the
    default body offset.

    Al Guest