Professional Web Applications Themes

Portrait/Landscape - FileMaker

Does anyone know how to control portrait/landscape when you move a database to a new computer. It seems that these page setup settings are not saved. Would that be the same if one changed printers, or is it computer-based---could someone please explain this to me? Thanks David Averbach UC Bekeley...

  1. #1

    Default Portrait/Landscape

    Does anyone know how to control portrait/landscape when you move a
    database to a new computer. It seems that these page setup settings
    are not saved. Would that be the same if one changed printers, or is
    it computer-based---could someone please explain this to me?

    Thanks

    David Averbach
    UC Bekeley
    David Averbach Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Portrait/Landscape

    The page setup script steps must be resaved every time the printer type
    changes. If you use your solution at several different locations, it is a
    definite advantage to use the same printer type at each location. If you
    have no control over this, you can get around endless tweaking by allowing
    the page setup and print dialogs to show so that users can make manual
    adjustments. Including a Show Message script step describing the settings
    for each (page size, orientation, scale, etc) can be helpful.

    Bridget Eley

    in article [email]a76dec2d.0309121817.126045fposting.google.com[/email], David Averbach at
    [email]davidaverbachearthlink.net[/email] wrote on 13/9/03 12:17 PM:
    > Does anyone know how to control portrait/landscape when you move a
    > database to a new computer. It seems that these page setup settings
    > are not saved. Would that be the same if one changed printers, or is
    > it computer-based---could someone please explain this to me?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > David Averbach
    > UC Bekeley
    Bridget Eley Guest

  3. #3

    What if you are using the database with filemaker server over an
    intranet, where different people have different printers. Will the
    settings change for all if one user changes their printer?

    Bridget Eley <bridgeteleyihug.com.au> wrote in message news:<BB88BD3D.317F%bridgeteleyihug.com.au>...
    > The page setup script steps must be resaved every time the printer type
    > changes. If you use your solution at several different locations, it is a
    > definite advantage to use the same printer type at each location. If you
    > have no control over this, you can get around endless tweaking by allowing
    > the page setup and print dialogs to show so that users can make manual
    > adjustments. Including a Show Message script step describing the settings
    > for each (page size, orientation, scale, etc) can be helpful.
    >
    > Bridget Eley
    >
    > in article [email]a76dec2d.0309121817.126045fposting.google.com[/email], David Averbach at
    > [email]davidaverbachearthlink.net[/email] wrote on 13/9/03 12:17 PM:
    >
    > > Does anyone know how to control portrait/landscape when you move a
    > > database to a new computer. It seems that these page setup settings
    > > are not saved. Would that be the same if one changed printers, or is
    > > it computer-based---could someone please explain this to me?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > David Averbach
    > > UC Bekeley
    David Averbach Guest

  4. #4

    I cannot say with absolute certainty, in so far as it is at least
    conceivable that two non-identical printers might be recognised as the same
    printer at whatever level that works, but there is a very good possibility
    they won't and that any changes that fix page setup settings for one printer
    will ruin them for other printers. Its a case of test and see.

    Bridget Eley

    in article [email]a76dec2d.0309130829.7351441fposting.google.com[/email], David Averbach
    at [email]davidaverbachearthlink.net[/email] wrote on 14/9/03 2:29 AM:
    > What if you are using the database with filemaker server over an
    > intranet, where different people have different printers. Will the
    > settings change for all if one user changes their printer?
    >
    > Bridget Eley <bridgeteleyihug.com.au> wrote in message
    >> The page setup script steps must be resaved every time the printer type
    >> changes. If you use your solution at several different locations, it is a
    >> definite advantage to use the same printer type at each location. If you
    >> have no control over this, you can get around endless tweaking by allowing
    >> the page setup and print dialogs to show so that users can make manual
    >> adjustments. Including a Show Message script step describing the settings
    >> for each (page size, orientation, scale, etc) can be helpful.
    >>
    >> Bridget Eley
    >>
    >> in article [email]a76dec2d.0309121817.126045fposting.google.com[/email], David Averbach at
    >> [email]davidaverbachearthlink.net[/email] wrote on 13/9/03 12:17 PM:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know how to control portrait/landscape when you move a
    >>> database to a new computer. It seems that these page setup settings
    >>> are not saved. Would that be the same if one changed printers, or is
    >>> it computer-based---could someone please explain this to me?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> David Averbach
    >>> UC Bekeley
    Bridget Eley Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Portrait/Landscape (Attn: cdf regulars and other professionaldevelopers)

    I'm guessing it might be possible to make a series of independent print
    scripts that work with individual printers, and then in the master print
    script, use a conditional statement to decide which one to use, eg:

    If (Status(CurrentPrinterName) = "A"
    Perform Script [Subscript A]
    Else
    If (Status(CurrentPrinterName) = "B"
    Perform Script [Subscript B]
    Else
    If (Status(CurrentPrinterName) = "C"
    Perform Script [Subscript C]
    End If
    End If
    End If

    I've never actually had to do this and am working from home this weekend so
    have no way to test it. I imagine it would be a bit of a nightmare to set
    up, having to run round to each department with a laptop, hook up, capture
    the printer name for use with the If script step, and create a page setup
    script step for every conceivable page setup and print variation for that
    machine, then repeat this for every printer (although this would only have
    to be done once in only one file - all print scripts could target the same
    set subscripts, and the same subscripts could be imported into all other
    files...). It might even be a good idea to create a file just for saving
    these variations. If it is doable, it might streamline things for your
    organization. However, it might be wise to get confirmation or qualification
    from one of the others developers who post here before you try it.

    Please note, the CurrentPrinterName function is not supported by MacOSX, for
    that you would have to determine printer by UserName or Group or something
    along those lines.

    Bridget Eley

    in article BB89D026.31A4%bridgeteleyihug.com.au, Bridget Eley at
    [email]bridgeteleyihug.com.au[/email] wrote on 14/9/03 7:58 AM:
    > I cannot say with absolute certainty, in so far as it is at least
    > conceivable that two non-identical printers might be recognised as the same
    > printer at whatever level that works, but there is a very good possibility
    > they won't and that any changes that fix page setup settings for one printer
    > will ruin them for other printers. Its a case of test and see.
    >
    > Bridget Eley
    >
    > in article [email]a76dec2d.0309130829.7351441fposting.google.com[/email], David Averbach
    > at [email]davidaverbachearthlink.net[/email] wrote on 14/9/03 2:29 AM:
    >
    >> What if you are using the database with filemaker server over an
    >> intranet, where different people have different printers. Will the
    >> settings change for all if one user changes their printer?
    >>
    >> Bridget Eley <bridgeteleyihug.com.au> wrote in message
    >>> The page setup script steps must be resaved every time the printer type
    >>> changes. If you use your solution at several different locations, it is a
    >>> definite advantage to use the same printer type at each location. If you
    >>> have no control over this, you can get around endless tweaking by allowing
    >>> the page setup and print dialogs to show so that users can make manual
    >>> adjustments. Including a Show Message script step describing the settings
    >>> for each (page size, orientation, scale, etc) can be helpful.
    >>>
    >>> Bridget Eley
    >>>
    >>> in article [email]a76dec2d.0309121817.126045fposting.google.com[/email], David Averbach at

    Bridget Eley Guest