Professional Web Applications Themes

Portuguese [Europe] for Portugal - font question - Adobe Indesign Windows

I'm working in InDesign CS & I'm about to start on a Manual to be translated to Portuguese from English. Does anyone know if I need a special font? I'm asking since I work with different languages and I've noticed Czech uses Latin fonts, Greek uses Greek (of course) and Russian uses Cyrillic. Any feedback on this would be very much appreciated....

  1. #1

    Default Portuguese [Europe] for Portugal - font question

    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Portuguese [Europe] for Portugal - font question

    Gabriel,

    não é necessário usar nenhuma fonte adicional. Nas fontes comuns estão incluídos todos os caracteres acentuados e especiais das línguas "ocidentais" (português, francês, italiano, espanhol, alemão e línguas escandinavas) e também de algumas do leste europeu. Com as fontes OpenType tens também todos os caracteres de outros idiomas, como turco, grego, russo e búlgaro. As OpenType fornecidas com o Windows 2000 e XP incluem ainda os alfabetos árabe, iídiche e hindu, mas as OpenType fornecidas pela Adobe não trazem caracteres desses idiomas.

    Se precisares mais alguma informação quanto ao uso do InDesign, me escreva.

    [If you don't speak Portuguese: No, you don't need any special font as the usual ones already includes all characters used in "West" languages. For any further help on ID please write me.]
    Igor_Freiberger@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I don't speak Portuguese, only English and Spanish but I think I might be able to read it. Let me know if I can translate what you said correctly.

    It is not necessary to use any additional fonts. Special characters are included in all common fonts (Portuguese, French, Italian, Spanish, German and Scandanavian languages) and also some other Eastern Europe. OpenType fonts also contain characters of other languages such as Turkish, ?, Russian and Bulgarian. The OpenType fonts supplied with Windows 2000 and XP still include the Arabic, ?, Hindu alphabets, but the OpenType supplied by Adobe may not carry some characters from those languages.

    If you should need more informacion about using InDesign, write me.

    Obrigada para o informação. <-- Did I say this right? :D
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Almost! "Obrigada" is the female form while "obrigado" is the male one. As your name is Gabriel, I guess you would use the male form, not? :-)

    As "thank you" and "gracias" are neutral forms, it's easy to get confused with Portuguese "obrigado". But as you already knows Spanish, Portuguese may be increasingly easy for you as both languages are VERY similar.

    Hope my poor English would also be correct in these posts! :-)

    Yes, the translation is perfect. The two lacking words in your translation are, by order, "Greek" and "Hebraic".

    I have an user dictionary with 5,000+ words that are not included in ID original dictionary, all with correct hyphenation. But unhappily is Brazilian Portuguese and will not help you. Between one and other Portuguese "flavours" there are as many differences as between US and UK English. Of course, I think the Brazilian one is easier! ;-)

    Let me know if you could handle this language issue.

    Small addition: I may be saying some obvious things here, but sometimes what is obvious to native speaking becomes surprisingly difficult to people from different cultures. Some time ago I found many English-speaking people in Adobe forums who use Alt+0000 codes to insert simple accented characters, as á, ê, ö or ñ. It's a huge work! They never considered there are keyboard sequences to get these characters which are available since the old mechanical typewriters. So, I trend to wrote more than needed to avoid these simple mistakes. Please forgive my excesses.
    Igor_Freiberger@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, standard western fonts that have the full WinANSI character set support Portuguese.

    As a side note, although Czech uses the Latin alphabet (as do English and Portuguese), it contains accented characters outside of the WinANSI character set. You do need to be careful about what fonts you use win setting Czech. You need support for the Windows Eastern European (1250) codepage.

    Windows system fonts generally support Czech, as do all of Adobe's "Pro" fonts.

    Regards,

    Thomas_Phinney@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thank you for your response Igor.

    Windows system fonts generally support Czech, as do all of Adobe's "Pro"
    fonts.

    When I tried using Myriad Pro for my Czech project, everything looked fine in ID but I was unable to get the PDF or printed hard copy to look right. I had to use Arial L2.ttf. I prefer using Type1 fonts for my own personal reasons but in this paricular case I found that a ttf suited my needs better than the Pro type1. Sad but true.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Maybe that is because you allowed the PDF to *subset* the embedded fonts. If you tell the font subsetting to be 0 instead of 100%, perhaps it would print and look right?

    Mike Witherell
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  8. #8

    Ill make a note of that.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest