Professional Web Applications Themes

Possible Solution to Flash Problem? - Macromedia Flash Player

I've been having the same problem for months in which the Flash Player works on one account and not the three others on my computer. Under the C Drive in the system32 folder where flash is located it reads: FlashUtil9e.exe in the account that works and in the accounts that don't work it reads: FlashUtil9e. Could a solution lie here and does anyone notice the same problem? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Possible Solution to Flash Problem?

    I've been having the same problem for months in which the Flash Player works on
    one account and not the three others on my computer.
    Under the C Drive in the system32 folder where flash is located it reads:
    FlashUtil9e.exe in the account that works and in the accounts that don't work
    it reads: FlashUtil9e.
    Could a solution lie here and does anyone notice the same problem?
    Thanks

    Tayly Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Possible Solution to My NEVERENDING FlashProblem?Help Please

    What is the Operating System?

    Is Flash only working on the Admin account?

    Are the other accounts restricted users, power users or users with admin
    rights?

    You said,

    ?Under the C Drive in the system32 folder where flash is located it reads:
    FlashUtil9e.exe in the account that works and in the accounts that don't work
    it reads: FlashUtil9e.?

    So the ?exe? extension is missing on the FlashUtil9e.exe? In folder options
    under ?View? is the ?Hide extensions for known file types? enabled?

    To help troubleshoot this, please check the following:

    Open the system registry

    Right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

    Select Permissions

    What groups or user names do you see in the list?

    http://www.adobe.com/go/kb400116

    Darren Guest

  3. #3

    I am using Windows XP

    All user accounts on my computer have administrative rights

    I'm not sure if I was clear on this but under:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash in the account that flash is working there
    is an .exe extension-in the other accounts the .exe is missing (wow this sounds
    confusing hehehe sorry)

    In the registry under permissions it reads:Administrators, System, Users

    Tayly Guest

  4. #4

    The reason that the .exe is missing may be that in the folder options under
    ?View? ?Hide extensions for known file types? is enabled? This may not have
    anything to do with the issue.

    Log in to one of the admin accounts that does not work and try the following:

    Select Start > Run and type in regedit

    Navigate to:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9

    Do you get an error when you select this key?

    Darren Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, I do get an error when I select that key.
    Tayly Guest

  6. #6

    [q]Originally posted by: Tayly
    Yes, I do get an error when I select that key.[/q]

    Log into one of the users that is not working.

    Download the following to your desktop.

    http://www.supportflash.com/reset_min.zip

    1. unzip the ?reset_minimal.cmd? and the ?subinacl.exe? to the desktop

    *** Make sure both files are on the desktop***

    2. Close out all applications
    3. Run the ?reset.cmd? file
    4. It will open a DOS like terminal
    5. When it is finished it will say ?press any key to continue?
    6. Download the latest Flash Player from here:

    http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer

    Darren Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for this but before I do it-is there anything I need to do? for example back up my system? if done wrong what could happen?

    Tayly Guest

  8. #8

    The keys that this script target are specific to Flash Player only. It is never
    a bad idea to back up your system. If you would feel more comfortable, I would
    be happy to set a time to help you with this.

    Darren Guest

  9. #9

    Well, I went ahead with it and my flash now works! Thanks so much Darren for your time and advice-I really appreciate it!
    Tayly Guest

  10. #10

    [q]Originally posted by: Tayly
    Well, I went ahead with it and my flash now works! Thanks so much Darren for
    your time and advice-I really appreciate it![/q]

    Hi Tayly,

    I'm happy to hear it worked for you. You can use the same solution on any
    account that has this Windows System Registry permission issue.

    Darren Guest