Professional Web Applications Themes

Possible to access SQL data via NON SQL methods - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

Hi, Is it at all possible to access MS SQL data via NON SQL (the query language) methods? I.e. is it possible to get access to low level indexes (b-tree??) and add / delete methods? Basically I don't think I can ... but what I'm hoping for is a means of emulating COBOL file handling routines. (Basically processing data 1 record at a time) Things like doing a SELECT in SQL will return a record set, in COBOL we do STARTS and NEXT's to process 1 record at a time. If I could write a low level access layer that ...

  1. #1

    Default Possible to access SQL data via NON SQL methods

    Hi,

    Is it at all possible to access MS SQL data via NON SQL (the query language)
    methods?

    I.e. is it possible to get access to low level indexes (b-tree??) and add /
    delete methods?

    Basically I don't think I can ... but what I'm hoping for is a means of
    emulating COBOL file handling routines.
    (Basically processing data 1 record at a time)

    Things like doing a SELECT in SQL will return a record set, in COBOL we do
    STARTS and NEXT's to process 1 record at a time.

    If I could write a low level access layer that emulated COBOL file handling
    methods we could use MS SQL backend for our current COBOL applications.

    I know of some products that create SQL statements out of COBOL commands but
    this seems to give poor performance.

    Otherwise we need to re-work many thousands of programs to use native SQL
    access.

    I'm just toying with this idea at the moment so haven't put to much thought
    into some of the finer details. First of all I was just wondering if it was
    at all possible to get low level access to the physical MS SQL data.

    Thanks,

    Ray Smith
    Ray Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Possible to access SQL data via NON SQL methods

    No, you can't access the lower levels of SQL Server directly. For one
    thing, the product just doesn't work that way. Example: Index maintenance
    is done by the query processor.

    Many file-oriented applications have been implemented on top of SQL
    databases with mixed results. The most successful use a combination of
    cursors and stored procedures to implement something file-like. Then they
    convert the most performance critical modules of the application to use SQL
    more natively. Overtime they rewrite the entire data access portion of
    their applications. This methodology is exactly how Great Plains (now
    Microsoft Business Solutions) migrated their Btrieve-based Great Plains
    Accounting to become SQL Server-based Dynamics.

    --
    Hal Berenson, SQL Server MVP
    True Mountain Group LLC

    "Ray Smith" <com> wrote in message
    language)

    handling
    but
    thought
    was

    Hal Guest

  3. #3

    >> Is it at all possible to access MS SQL data via NON SQL (the query
    language) methods? <<

    Can you do machine instruction coding? Do you care if you completely
    trash the database? Don't even think about this.
     [/ref]
    routines. (Basically processing data 1 record at a time) <<

    Use a cursor for this. In fact, the Standard SQL cursor mdoel is taken
    directly from a sequential file model right out of Cobol. It will run
    orders of magnitude slower than good pure SQL, tho.

    This is how people first used DB2 (and probably Oracle) before they
    found how many hundred of lines of codde and how much time SQL could
    save them. READ map to FETCH, etc.
    Look at embedded SQL for your Cobol compiler.

    --CELKO--
    ===========================
    schema are.

    Joe Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks to everyone who replied.

    Your knowledgable answers are much appreciated.

    Regards,

    Ray Smith
    Ray Guest

  5. #5

    Ray,

    Perhaps this article might give you some ideas.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.micros
    oft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q103/2/26.asp&NoWebContent=1

    Linda

    lindawie Guest