Professional Web Applications Themes

PostgreSQL, Ruby, FX Ruby and Windows XP - Ruby

Is it possible to connect to PostgreSQL database using Ruby under Windows XP. I need to do simple client for person who can use only Windows and I consider many solutions (JDBC, Ruby, ODBC in Access and so on). Szymon Drejewicz...

  1. #1

    Default PostgreSQL, Ruby, FX Ruby and Windows XP

    Is it possible to connect to PostgreSQL database using Ruby under
    Windows XP. I need to do simple client for person who can use only
    Windows and I consider many solutions (JDBC, Ruby, ODBC in Access and so
    on).

    Szymon Drejewicz

    Szymon Drejewicz Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PostgreSQL, Ruby, FX Ruby and Windows XP

    On Friday, September 19, 2003, 9:57:32 PM, Szymon wrote:
    > Is it possible to connect to PostgreSQL database using Ruby under
    > Windows XP. I need to do simple client for person who can use only
    > Windows and I consider many solutions (JDBC, Ruby, ODBC in Access and so
    > on).
    Yes, you can download a postgres driver for Ruby from
    raa.ruby-lang.org. Then you can use the DBI (database-independent)
    module (also from RAA) to do nice high-level database programming. Or
    you can use the driver directly if you wish.

    I don't see how Windows comes into the picture, but I could be wrong.

    Gavin

    Gavin Sinclair Guest

  3. #3

    --- Gavin Sinclair <gsinclairsoyabean.com.au> wrote: > On Friday,
    September 19, 2003, 9:57:32 PM, Szymon wrote:

    > > Is it possible to connect to PostgreSQL database using Ruby under
    > > Windows XP. I need to do simple client for person who can use only
    > > Windows and I consider many solutions (JDBC, Ruby, ODBC in Access and
    > so
    > > on).
    >
    > Yes, you can download a postgres driver for Ruby from
    > raa.ruby-lang.org. Then you can use the DBI (database-independent)
    > module (also from RAA) to do nice high-level database programming. Or
    > you can use the driver directly if you wish.
    >
    > I don't see how Windows comes into the picture, but I could be wrong.
    If he means connecting to a database running Postgres from within windows
    <shudder>, he'll need cygwin installed to provide a means to run it.

    -- Thomas Adam
    > Gavin

    =====
    Thomas Adam

    "The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- [url]www.linuxgazette.com[/url]

    Messenger [url]http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk[/url]

    Thomas Adam Guest

  4. #4

    Szymon Drejewicz wrote:
    > Is it possible to connect to PostgreSQL database using Ruby under
    > Windows XP. I need to do simple client for person who can use only
    > Windows and I consider many solutions (JDBC, Ruby, ODBC in Access and so
    > on).
    >
    > Szymon Drejewicz

    I'v solved my problem by using dbi:ODBC. Ruby is the best :^)

    Szymon Drejewicz Guest

  5. #5

    > If he means connecting to a database running Postgres from within windows
    > <shudder>, he'll need cygwin installed to provide a means to run it.
    So I'd like to know how to compile ruby-postgres under Windows using
    Cygwin. Has anyone done it befeore? I've installed Ruby, Cygwin and I've
    downloaded ruby-postgres.tar.gz I don't know how to compile it under
    Windows :-)
    Is it possible to connect from Windows to PostgreSQL (working on linux)
    without usign DBI?

    Szymon Drejewicz

    Szymon Drejewicz Guest

  6. #6

    --- Szymon Drejewicz <drejewicwsisiz.edu.pl> wrote: > > If he means
    connecting to a database running Postgres from within
    > windows
    > > <shudder>, he'll need cygwin installed to provide a means to run it.
    >
    > So I'd like to know how to compile ruby-postgres under Windows using
    > Cygwin. Has anyone done it befeore?
    No, but theoretically you could use a cross-compiler under Linux to do it,
    OR, perhaps easier using a native windows compiler (borland?) to do it --
    unfortunately I only run Linux....
    > I've installed Ruby, Cygwin and I've
    >
    > downloaded ruby-postgres.tar.gz I don't know how to compile it under
    > Windows :-)
    I assume cygwin ships with GCC (or a variant thereof).
    > Is it possible to connect from Windows to PostgreSQL (working on linux)
    > without usign DBI?
    Use, of course it is.

    -- Thomas Adam

    =====