Professional Web Applications Themes

Power outage might affect Challenge? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Just heard of a big power outage on the US & Canadian east coast -- Toronto included. Since that's where Grant Dixon lives, he may not be able to get his computer on and post this week's Challenge....

  1. #1

    Default Power outage might affect Challenge?

    Just heard of a big power outage on the US & Canadian east coast -- Toronto included. Since that's where Grant Dixon lives, he may not be able to get his computer on and post this week's Challenge.
    Bob E. Warren Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Power outage might affect Challenge?

    Big problem here in the NE USA, watching the news around 8:15. New York is always a problem when the power goes out.
    Nothing here yet, no outages here in the CapeCod area about 65 miles south of Boston.
    The net is really slow and I can see why. We deal with power outages a lot in bad weather here, so we just shut down what isn't needed. Get out the generator and the gas grill,,,,,and the hand water pump,,,

    I am signing off now, and shutting down all our stuff just in case,
    and my husband is thinking about our generator to keep the fridge and freezers happy, but other than that, nothing here yet,,,,,,,
    till tomorrow, Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  3. #3

    Jane,

    Shutting down?

    This is a classic scenario for needing a UPS. (Universal Power Supply).
    The battery back ups correct variations in voltage that are going to your
    computer that may/will happen as the power goes down and probably when it
    comes back on line also.

    Gheeze, ... you would think I sell them as much as I promote them, but I
    don't. I just see them as necessary for computers.

    Pete D Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Pete, Yes, I thought of shutting down early, as it has been hot here too, but no power problems yet. The ocean was so hot today for swimming that all the little kids were having a great time and not getting cold. I swam for hours,,,,,,
    Our yellow lab wouldn't leave the house except to wallow in the grandkids wading pool in the shade. (Grandsons can't understand why she prefers to drink out of the pool instead of her clean water dishes.)

    I do have a UPS, but I always shut down if there is a power problem, or when I turn in for the night.
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  5. #5

    PETE,
    I had a Monitor hit by lightning (entered through the phone),so I inquired about more protection. I was told that Lightning can get through most anything but there is a power cord that guarantees replacement if Lightning hits.
    I ended up getting the Electric Company to install Surge protection that covers the whole house.
    Marty
    Marty Landolt Guest

  6. #6

    They will be cutting Montreal tonight, from 00h00 to 06h00 tomorrow morning.
    If things don't go right, the outage will last longer. They do this to
    balance the network and feed Toronto. So, if you don't here from me
    tomorrow, it's only because we're sharing our resources with Ontario :)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Marty, I think that is a great idea! Then your whole house is protected, and we do get some nasty lightning here.
    I will ask my husband about that tomorrow! I also would like him to install a GFI that would protect all the outlets too, if that is possible. Thanks!
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  8. #8

    Good for you Jane, That UPS really does help regulate the power coming to
    the computer.

    Marty, The whole house surge protection is a great idea.

    But all these things are like buying insurance; you buy what fits your
    budget and hope for the best.

    Pete D Guest

  9. #9

    > The net was really slow here about 2 hours ago, probably from the outages,
    but it is up to speed now.

    I still can't get to the challenge web site.

    Pete D Guest

  10. #10

    Marty,

    I didn't get the #28 challenge. However, I can view all of the current
    images.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  11. #11

    Hi People, miss me ? My power was out t'il nine-ish but my isp wouldn't let me get on t'il now. I haven't attempted to look at or download #28 yet. The forum is down this weekend t'il Monday so i suspect it will be a strange challenge week.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  12. #12

    Jodi,

    Grant had a post that the challenge image was not up yet because of the
    outage. We could go to the Yahoo forum for the weekend and come back
    Monday :)

    Pete D Guest

  13. #13

    Pete,

    What Yahoo forum would that be?

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  14. #14

    Nancy,

    Photoshop Elements group over there......
    [url]http://groups./group/photoshop_elements/[/url]

    Might be good to get us through the weekend:)

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  15. #15

    yes problem with me and yahoo groups though...been on one had ended up with tons of junk mail cause of it. Took me weeks to get it to stop even after un-joining the group. Think i'll pass. Sorry Pete, I'll miss ya ;)
    Jodi Frye Guest

  16. #16

    Power was out for a bit well more than a bit.

    I suspect that the reason that some could get the challenge and others could
    not is

    1) the time you logged on
    2) and or whether you had the challenge cashed in your computer memory.

    Yesterday I was working at a refinery that was about 2 miles away for the
    second largest coal generating station in North America. When the pressure
    relief valves of the boilers let go I thought that the plant had exploded.
    At that time the refinery went into emergency shut down and it took almost
    45 minutes to shut it down and there were a few very tense moments. In the
    end it looked like a scene form An Iraqi oil fire.

    For the most part from that time to the present people have been sharing
    their misery with great humour and civility and it once again restored my
    faith in humanity ... although I have never had any doubts about the
    goodness in most people this is a very heartening experience.

    --
    Grant

    Home Pages [url]http://home.cogeco.ca/~grant.dixon/index.htm[/url]

    Creativity is so delicate a flower that praise tends to make it bloom, while
    discouragement often nips it in the bud. Any of us will put out more and
    better ideas if our efforts are appreciated.

    Alexander Osborn (1888 - 1966)

    Grant Dixon Guest

  17. #17

    Jodi & anyone else that is interested in that Yahoo group for the weekend.

    You don't have to use your primary e mail address to join the group, (or any
    group for that matter). I always use an Excite, Hotmail, or alternate
    Yahoo e mail name for any site that asks for my e mail address,... including
    the Adobe forum.

    I probably won't be there or at least not much but it is there for those
    that want it.

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  18. #18

    Grant, your story had my heart in my throat. So glad you are OK. So glad.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  19. #19

    Jodi, one thing about refineries and power failures: they are designed to
    'fail-safe', which means the valves on pressure-containing vessels will fail
    to the position that will cause the pressure to be relieved, not build up.
    But the relieved pressure has to go somewhere; usually it's to a flare
    stack, where the gases will burn off, causing some pollution but not an
    explosion. At least that's how they're designed.... In my 20+ years
    working in refineries, I experienced a few explosions and really bad fires
    (one that took us a couple days to extinguish), but none were related to
    loss of electrical power.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  20. #20

    Chuck

    This one has a triple redundancy back system but in this case one of the
    valves for some reason failed to close releasing hydrogen sulphide. Also
    while the flare stacks did do their job they failed to burn clean.

    Grant

    Grant Dixon Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast