Professional Web Applications Themes

PowerBook 190 and external CDROM drive... - Mac Portable

Hi all, I've got a PowerBook 190 and I am trying to get it to work with my external CD-ROM drive (it's a Pioneer 4X CD-ROM drive packaged by Hi-Val). I've been using this exact same external SCSI CD-ROM drive on my LC 475/Mac OS 8.1 for many years now with no trouble at all, using FWB CDROM Tookit drivers/software. Problem is, when I hook it up to my PowerBook 190, via a HDI-30/DB25 adapter with appropriate SCSI cable (DB25 to Centronics) and have a SCSI terminator block plugged into the CDROM drive as well, the PowerBook *will not* recognize ...

  1. #1

    Default PowerBook 190 and external CDROM drive...

    Hi all,

    I've got a PowerBook 190 and I am trying to get it to work with my
    external CD-ROM drive (it's a Pioneer 4X CD-ROM drive packaged by Hi-Val).

    I've been using this exact same external SCSI CD-ROM drive on my LC
    475/Mac OS 8.1 for many years now with no trouble at all, using FWB CDROM
    Tookit drivers/software.

    Problem is, when I hook it up to my PowerBook 190, via a HDI-30/DB25
    adapter with appropriate SCSI cable (DB25 to Centronics) and have a SCSI
    terminator block plugged into the CDROM drive as well, the PowerBook *will
    not* recognize nor mount this drive. Again, just like my desktop Mac, my
    PB190 is running Mac OS 8.1 and FWB CDROM Toolkit, with no conflicting
    extensions (ie. Apple CDROM drivers are uninstalled).

    I've even tried to get SCSI Probe to mount it to no avail.

    Does the PB190 only work with Apple branded external CDROM drives? What gives?

    I've tried everything I could think of to get it to work, including
    hooking up other devices in the SCSI chain, terminating both the first
    external device and last external device in the SCSI chain, no termination
    at all, one terminator here, one terminator there, changing SCSI cables,
    etc. etc. etc. Nothing seems to work.

    Any ideas or experience with something like this problem I am having?

    best regards, perry
    Perry Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PowerBook 190 and external CDROM drive...

    Perry <mungednospam.nonet> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I've got a PowerBook 190 and I am trying to get it to work with my
    > external CD-ROM drive (it's a Pioneer 4X CD-ROM drive packaged by Hi-Val).
    > I've been using this exact same external SCSI CD-ROM drive on my LC
    > 475/Mac OS 8.1 for many years now with no trouble at all, using FWB CDROM
    > Tookit drivers/software.
    > Problem is, when I hook it up to my PowerBook 190, via a HDI-30/DB25
    > adapter with appropriate SCSI cable (DB25 to Centronics) and have a SCSI
    > terminator block plugged into the CDROM drive as well, the PowerBook *will
    > not* recognize nor mount this drive. Again, just like my desktop Mac, my
    > PB190 is running Mac OS 8.1 and FWB CDROM Toolkit, with no conflicting
    > extensions (ie. Apple CDROM drivers are uninstalled).
    > I've even tried to get SCSI Probe to mount it to no avail.
    > Does the PB190 only work with Apple branded external CDROM drives? What gives?
    > I've tried everything I could think of to get it to work, including
    > hooking up other devices in the SCSI chain, terminating both the first
    > external device and last external device in the SCSI chain, no termination
    > at all, one terminator here, one terminator there, changing SCSI cables,
    > etc. etc. etc. Nothing seems to work.
    > Any ideas or experience with something like this problem I am having?
    > best regards, perry
    The PB 190 does not provide termination power - TP - to the SCSI bus, so
    most things will either work best with no terminators at all or with one
    of the external SCSI drives providing TP. The drive may have either a
    switch or a jumper to have the drive provide termination power to the
    SCSI bus. This is separate from termination, this is the power that
    the terminator uses to properly terminate the bus. The exact setup that
    is called for is to connect the PB using the HDI-30 adapter, attach a
    SCSI pass-through terminator, then the cable to the rest of the SCSI bus
    devices. Then the last device also gets a terminator. At least one of
    the devices needs to provide termination power, and not more than two.
    With a short chain, or a single device, you can get by usually with just
    one end terminated. But without termination power, the terminater is
    floating electrically, and does not work correctly.

    The other thing to check is your HDI-30 adapter. If it comes with a
    switch, one position is for SCSI target mode and the other is for use as
    the adapter to attach SCSI devices to the PB. The ones without a switch
    have all 30 pins when used for the first use, but one pin in the corner
    should be missing if you want to attach SCSI devices to the PB.

    Joe Heimann

    Joe Heimann Guest