Professional Web Applications Themes

PowerBook 520 installation from floppy - Mac Applications & Software

Hello group, I just got my first Mac (PowerBook 520), and now I have a problem: It does not start. There is a software called "Empower" installed that requires to enter a password which I dont know. When I try to disable the empower extension (shift key or space key and manually diabling the extension), the systems prints "Empower(R) is required to access volume Festplatte" in a dialog box. Similar happens when I try to boot from floppy: "Empower(R) has disabled startup from floppy drives" even when I disable the extensions. The buttons of the dilog box show "Administrator" and ...

  1. #1

    Default PowerBook 520 installation from floppy

    Hello group,

    I just got my first Mac (PowerBook 520), and now I have a problem: It
    does not start. There is a software called "Empower" installed that
    requires to enter a password which I dont know.

    When I try to disable the empower extension (shift key or space key
    and manually diabling the extension), the systems prints

    "Empower(R) is required to access volume Festplatte"

    in a dialog box. Similar happens when I try to boot from floppy:

    "Empower(R) has disabled startup from floppy drives"

    even when I disable the extensions. The buttons of the dilog box show
    "Administrator" and "Cancel"; the latter switches off the computer;
    the first shows again a passwort dialog.

    I tried to clear the PRAM (Apple+Command+P+R keys), but the problem
    remains.

    How can I bring the Mac back to life, even with a re-initialization of
    the hard disk? When booting from floppy, at some stage the OS accesses
    the hard disk (one can hear it), and then the dialog box above
    occurs. Can I temporarily disable this access? Is it possible to
    reformat the hard disk from the builtin system debugger?

    Regards,

    Ole
    Ole Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PowerBook 520 installation from floppy

    In article <dyndns.org>,
    Ole Streicher <net> wrote:

    Ask for the password from the person you bought it from.
    bearclaw@cruller.invalid Guest

  3. #3

    In article <dyndns.org>,
    Ole Streicher <net> wrote:

    > He forgot it. I am also not interested in any data of the system; I
    > would download the OS from Apple; I just want to get the hardware
    > running.
    >
    > Ole
    >[/ref]

    Then, unless you can find the company that created the security software
    and convince them to let you use the backdoor (if there is
    one--sometimes there isn't), it sounds like you're going to have to
    reformat the drive.
    bearclaw@cruller.invalid Guest

  4. #4

    Hi,

    invalid writes:

    That is no problem if I could get a desktop that allows me to do
    so. But, as I said: when I boot from floppy, I get the "Booting from
    floppy is not allowed" message.

    That's why my question is: how can I avoid that a program from
    harddisk is executed when I boot from floppy? This is what seems to
    happen.

    (didn't I write that in my first post or is my english that bad that
    it is not understandable? Sorry if so - english is not my main language)

    Ole

    Ole Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Christian!

    ch (Christian) writes:
    > Mmh, can you try the following:
    > 1) Open the PB and disconnect the disk drive.
    > 2) Boot from the Disk Tools floppy
    > 3) Re-connect the disk drive when the Powerbook is up
    > 4) Run the formatting utility (Drive Setup) to reformat the disk[/ref]

    Great! That worked. I was a bit afraid that I break the drive when I
    reconnect it while the power is up, but everything went OK.

    And, I found it was quite easy to remove the drive.

    Thank you

    Ole

    Ole Guest

  6. #6

    Ole Streicher <net> wrote:

    Good to hear.

    The "problem" with most security applications is that they somehow
    change the boot blocks of the disk so that you can't get at it in normal
    cirstances, but reformatting helps in most (probably not all) cases.

    Have a good time with your new gadget!

    Christian.

    --
    Christian F. Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
    Hilfe für Strassenkinder in Ghana: <http://www.chance-for-children.org>