Professional Web Applications Themes

Powerbook cooling failure - Mac Portable

Powerbook G4 667, 18 months. Has run fine since purchase. The fan has kicked in occationally, perhaps once or twice per months. Usually when I inadvertantly blocked ventilation for some reason. Since a couple of days this has changed. Now the fan kicks in after a few minutes and runs full screaming speed after another few minutes every time. I can make the fan slow down by lifting the keyboard and ing at the heat sinks a few puffs, but somehow I don't think that's what the Apple designers intended for their users. Anyone have any tips on how to ...

  1. #1

    Default Powerbook cooling failure

    Powerbook G4 667, 18 months. Has run fine since purchase. The fan has
    kicked in occationally, perhaps once or twice per months. Usually when I
    inadvertantly blocked ventilation for some reason.

    Since a couple of days this has changed. Now the fan kicks in after a
    few minutes and runs full screaming speed after another few minutes
    every time. I can make the fan slow down by lifting the keyboard and
    ing at the heat sinks a few puffs, but somehow I don't think that's
    what the Apple designers intended for their users.

    Anyone have any tips on how to restore the failed Powerbook cooling
    system?

    sincerely
    Lars Farm

    --
    mail: [email]mail.addr.can.be.foundwww.farm.se[/email]
    [url]http://www.farm.se[/url]

  2. #2

    Default Re: Powerbook cooling failure

    Lars Farm <farm.se> wrote:

    My 667 did this from the first day on. As an audio worker I found that
    unbearable and switched to the 1ghz/15". Much better screen and even
    the 2 fans are not as loud as the one in the 667.

    I read numerous threads about this problem some machines where quit ,
    some not.
    It might have to do with the contact between chip and heatsink. There is
    a thin layer of a heat conductive material, which may have lost its
    optimal performance and never had it on my machine. But then Im not an
    Apple technician.

    btw., I also found myself ing at the heatsink...
    all the best,
    Joker
    Joker Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1g19i1p.1a8decj1ok6fsmN%de>,
    de (Joker) wrote:

    > My 667 did this from the first day on. As an audio worker I found that
    > unbearable and switched to the 1ghz/15". Much better screen and even
    > the 2 fans are not as loud as the one in the 667.
    >
    > I read numerous threads about this problem some machines where quit ,
    > some not.
    > It might have to do with the contact between chip and heatsink. There is
    > a thin layer of a heat conductive material, which may have lost its
    > optimal performance and never had it on my machine. But then Im not an
    > Apple technician.
    >
    > btw., I also found myself ing at the heatsink...
    > all the best,
    > Joker[/ref]

    Ugh. I have become an unwilling "expert" on fan noise. For the record, I
    don't think the tibook fans are especially loud in the 1 ghz model,
    compared to earlier 400/667 tibooks or compared to some (many) pc
    laptops. I just don't like the noise in my quiet office space at home.
    At work, I don't hear the tibook fan at all over the drone of the SGI
    machine off in the corner.

    I got a "perch plus"
    http://macmice.com/iperch_plus.html
    and that greatly reduces the fan noise on the tibook. Pricey, but it is
    the only thing I've found that greatly reduces the on-time for the
    tibook fans. The perch plus has a fan of its own, but it is very, very
    quiet. The tibook fans still come on, but they come on much less and
    they switch off much sooner.

    The perch plus comes with (from memory) a 6 V power supply for the 12 V
    rated fan. This makes the fan run slowly and quietly. I modified this by
    using an old cell phone power supply that was 9 V, and then put a 10
    turn resistor in series with the fan. Because of the fan's internal
    resistance, this makes a voltage divider and hence a speed control for
    the fan. Since the power supply was surplus, this cost $2.49 to build.
    This lets you set the fan speed so that you can increase the airflow
    until the fan noise is just at the threshold of audibility for your work
    environment. With this setup the fans on my tibook very rarely come on,
    and when they do, they go back off quickly.

    I've tried EVERYTHING else, and the perch plus is the only thing that
    really helps. The second best solution is
    http://www.climator.com/passivecooling.html
    which is good for portable or laptop use, while the perch plus is an "at
    the desk" solution.

    Ask a simple question, get a dissertation.....

    Charles Guest

  4. #4

    Charles Bouldin <net> wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    OK that might work, but it is an external response to something that
    must have changed internally. I would like to understand the nature of
    this recent change that followed some 18 months of OK, normal quiet use.
    Only now has this PB begun to run hot and loud.

    Either it started to consume more energy (I haven't checked if battery
    time has gone down) or it has developed a condition where it fails to
    dissipate the surplus energy it used to be able to dissipate.

    And I thank you for that.

    Lars

    --
    mail: farm.se
    http://www.farm.se

  5. #5

    Lars Farm <farm.se> wrote:

    You don't mention what system you're running. If running
    MacOS X, have you run top to see if some app is eating up CPU
    time? It is relatively easy to turn something on (e.g., classic)
    that runs at full blast all the time.

    The only other suggestion I have is that the battery may be dead
    and the additional heat from trying to charge it could heat up
    the whole laptop. Unlikely, but I've seen it happen.

    too_much_spam_already@mac.com Guest

  6. #6

    <com> wrote:

    > You don't mention what system you're running.[/ref]

    Sorry, Mac OS X and top shows nothing unusual.

    You might be on to something. Its been a long time since I ran without
    220v connected, so I unplugged the PB and found that a "fully" charged
    battery thinks it can last 1h 20min. To low, if I recall it should run
    something like 5h. After about 40min the battery is nearly drained and
    the fan is still on low speed, on, but on low speed. I then plug the
    power in and it takes a couple of minutes to get the full speed fan.
    I'll look more into this later. Thank you for your suggestions.

    Lars

    --
    mail: farm.se
    http://www.farm.se