Professional Web Applications Themes

PowerBook G3 and DVD module - Mac Portable

What's the oldest model of the PowerBook G3 that can accept a swappable DVD drive module (I'm assuming it would need the related DVD decoder PC Card in order to play back movies on the PB's LCD screen) ? I was contemplating purchasing a PowerBook G3 Series II (233 MHz) and just wondering if I could add a DVD module to this thing... best regards, Perry...

  1. #1

    Default PowerBook G3 and DVD module

    What's the oldest model of the PowerBook G3 that can accept a swappable
    DVD drive module (I'm assuming it would need the related DVD decoder PC
    Card in order to play back movies on the PB's LCD screen) ?

    I was contemplating purchasing a PowerBook G3 Series II (233 MHz) and just
    wondering if I could add a DVD module to this thing...

    best regards,
    Perry
    Perry Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PowerBook G3 and DVD module

    in artikel [email]emailmunged-0407031143250001wnpgmb01bby-ac03-p11-134.mts.net[/email]
    schreef Perry op [email]emailmungednospam.none[/email]t op 04-07-2003 18:43:
    > What's the oldest model of the PowerBook G3 that can accept a swappable
    > DVD drive module (I'm assuming it would need the related DVD decoder PC
    > Card in order to play back movies on the PB's LCD screen) ?
    >
    > I was contemplating purchasing a PowerBook G3 Series II (233 MHz) and just
    > wondering if I could add a DVD module to this thing...
    >
    > best regards,
    > Perry
    Yes, it works in a 233 G3 powerbook as well in the wallstreet I as it does
    in the II, I have tried them both.

    Johan

    JiP Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: PowerBook G3 and DVD module

    In article <BB2BA492.1BB35%jip-frlwanadoo.nl>, JiP <jip-frlwanadoo.nl> wrote:
    > Yes, it works in a 233 G3 powerbook as well in the wallstreet I as it does
    > in the II, I have tried them both.
    > Johan
    I assume you need the Apple DVD (MPEG) decoder card in one of the PC Card
    slots in order to actually watch the DVD then? Or am I mistaken, is that
    just so one can watch the DVD playback on the PB's LCD screen, instead of
    external monitor?

    best regards, Perry
    Perry Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: PowerBook G3 and DVD module


    Be warned that a G3 PB cannot play DVDs while running OS X;
    this is a policy decision at Apple. It is frustrating as
    their original declaration was that the G3s running OS X
    would have drives, so I bought a $400 aftermarket DVD drive
    for my daughter. I also bought OS X versions of the video
    software she needed as a film student. She now has to reboot
    (swapping 9.x for 10.x) about 20 times a day.

    --dan

    Dan Geer Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: PowerBook G3 and DVD module

    Dan Geer wrote:
    > Be warned that a G3 PB cannot play DVDs while running OS X;
    > this is a policy decision at Apple. It is frustrating as
    > their original declaration was that the G3s running OS X
    > would have drives, so I bought a $400 aftermarket DVD drive
    > for my daughter. I also bought OS X versions of the video
    > software she needed as a film student. She now has to reboot
    > (swapping 9.x for 10.x) about 20 times a day.
    >
    > --dan
    >
    This is certainly frustrating. AFAIK it has to do with the specific
    video card + hardware DVD decoder in the Lombard being unsupported in X
    (the Pismo aka Firewire G3 PBs can play DVDs in OS X - newer video card
    + software decoding). Since support for DVD playback did eventually come
    to towers of similar vintage to the Lombard (and which also had hardware
    decoding), I wonder if there's a hack to enable it? Or is there some
    slim chance of support finally appearing in Panther?

    Anyone?

    (This is a relatively minor issue for me. I simply leave the PB in OS 9
    because almost all it's used for now is DVD playback and TV via iRez,
    which will likely never have an OS X driver.)

    Watt Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: PowerBook G3 and DVD module

    Watt <wattknott.house> wrote:
    > Dan Geer wrote:
    > > Be warned that a G3 PB cannot play DVDs while running OS X;
    > > this is a policy decision at Apple. It is frustrating as
    > > their original declaration was that the G3s running OS X
    > > would have drives, so I bought a $400 aftermarket DVD drive
    > > for my daughter. I also bought OS X versions of the video
    > > software she needed as a film student. She now has to reboot
    > > (swapping 9.x for 10.x) about 20 times a day.
    > >
    > > --dan
    > >
    >
    > This is certainly frustrating. AFAIK it has to do with the specific
    > video card + hardware DVD decoder in the Lombard being unsupported in X
    > (the Pismo aka Firewire G3 PBs can play DVDs in OS X - newer video card
    > + software decoding). Since support for DVD playback did eventually come
    > to towers of similar vintage to the Lombard (and which also had hardware
    > decoding), I wonder if there's a hack to enable it? Or is there some
    > slim chance of support finally appearing in Panther?
    >
    > Anyone?
    >
    > (This is a relatively minor issue for me. I simply leave the PB in OS 9
    > because almost all it's used for now is DVD playback and TV via iRez,
    > which will likely never have an OS X driver.)
    I find that the DVD player in OS X works much better than the OS 9 one
    in my Pismo. Know this doesn't help with your Lombard problem, but not
    all G3 PB's have this problem.
    --
    Paul Fuchs
    paulfuchs-at-attglobal-dot-net
    Sitting on a small rock (St. John) in the Caribbean
    Paul Fuchs Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: PowerBook G3 and DVD module

    Paul Fuchs wrote:
    > Watt <wattknott.house> wrote:
    >>(the Pismo aka Firewire G3 PBs can play DVDs in OS X - newer video card
    >>+ software decoding).
    >
    >
    > I find that the DVD player in OS X works much better than the OS 9 one
    > in my Pismo. Know this doesn't help with your Lombard problem, but not
    > all G3 PB's have this problem.
    Yes, I know :) And I prefer the OS X player as well...on my iMac. It
    can play discs that the 1.x series players (for OS 8.6-9.x on Lombard)
    routinely choke on, and do neat things like play from a video_ts folder
    located on the hard drive.

    While it'd be nice to have my old PB fully OS X aware, I bet that Apple
    looked at the following:

    Number of Lombards still in service

    Number of those which are the user's primary/sole DVD player

    Number of those whose users could be expected to buy an OS X license for
    that machine and use it for DVD playback.

    ....and concluded that it wasn't worth the trouble of fully supporting
    what is an oddball (or transitional, if you will) machine. Although it
    affects me personally, I have to admit that the logic makes sense,
    especially if the final number is, as I suspect, not even in the five
    figures.

    Watt Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: PowerBook G3 and DVD module

    Brian Moore wrote:
    > I have the Wallstreet DVD kit. Sounds like the same deal as the Lombard.
    > For some reason, it forgets its region setting each time the computer's shut
    > down or the PC card's removed and reinserted. I don't use OS X on it, so OS
    > X DVD playback's not an issue to me. Any idea why it seems to forget the
    > region setting? Could the PC card be damaged?
    >
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I can tell you the
    Lombard's a completely different ball game. The 400 MHz model had
    on-board hardware decoding and shipped with a DVD-ROM module, no PC card
    required. The 333 MHz model had CD-ROM only and no on-board decoder,
    though I've heard of people playing DVDs on them by using a
    Wallstreet-style PC card setup.
    > Brian Moore
    >
    > On 7/18/03 7:14 AM, in article kfFRa.18859$vM4.6425nntp-post.primus.ca,
    > "Watt" <wattknott.house> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Paul Fuchs wrote:
    >>
    >>>Watt <wattknott.house> wrote:
    >>
    >>>>(the Pismo aka Firewire G3 PBs can play DVDs in OS X - newer video card
    >>>>+ software decoding).
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>I find that the DVD player in OS X works much better than the OS 9 one
    >>>in my Pismo. Know this doesn't help with your Lombard problem, but not
    >>>all G3 PB's have this problem.
    >>
    >>Yes, I know :) And I prefer the OS X player as well...on my iMac. It
    >>can play discs that the 1.x series players (for OS 8.6-9.x on Lombard)
    >>routinely choke on, and do neat things like play from a video_ts folder
    >>located on the hard drive.
    >>
    >>While it'd be nice to have my old PB fully OS X aware, I bet that Apple
    >>looked at the following:
    >>
    >>Number of Lombards still in service
    >>
    >>Number of those which are the user's primary/sole DVD player
    >>
    >>Number of those whose users could be expected to buy an OS X license for
    >>that machine and use it for DVD playback.
    >>
    >>...and concluded that it wasn't worth the trouble of fully supporting
    >>what is an oddball (or transitional, if you will) machine. Although it
    >>affects me personally, I have to admit that the logic makes sense,
    >>especially if the final number is, as I suspect, not even in the five
    >>figures.
    >>
    >
    >
    >
    > Sent using the Entourage X Test Drive.
    >
    Watt Guest

Similar Threads

  1. RFC: New module 'Module::Bundled::Files'
    By Paul Campbell in forum PERL Modules
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 27th, 10:51 PM
  2. Module Object and sub module function
    By Dan Muey in forum PERL Beginners
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: November 11th, 04:45 PM
  3. PowerBook 100 value?
    By spammed@mac.com in forum Mac Portable
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 6th, 08:45 PM
  4. Powerbook G4 500
    By MrZammler in forum Mac Portable
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 6th, 06:17 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 11th, 04:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139