Professional Web Applications Themes

PowerBook G3 Wallstreet (Mainstreet) 233 mhz; - Mac Portable

Hello Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you might offer. Yes, I have the underdog G3 Series PB. What can I say, it was $30.00! It is sufferably slow, running OS 9.2.2 on only 32 mb of original RAM; I know, a sorry state. I'm committed, though. I want to run OS X. Do you know of any problems installing a larger hard drive and more than 192 mb of RAM in this cacheless mutt? Again, thank you for your time. Peace, Fred...

  1. #1

    Default PowerBook G3 Wallstreet (Mainstreet) 233 mhz;

    Hello

    Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you might offer.

    Yes, I have the underdog G3 Series PB. What can I say, it was $30.00!

    It is sufferably slow, running OS 9.2.2 on only 32 mb of original RAM;
    I know, a sorry state. I'm committed, though.

    I want to run OS X.

    Do you know of any problems installing a larger hard drive and more
    than 192 mb of RAM in this cacheless mutt?

    Again, thank you for your time.

    Peace,
    Fred
    fred freem Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PowerBook G3 Wallstreet (Mainstreet) 233 mhz;

    On 8/5/03 10:20 PM, in article
    [email]5034b6cd.0308051820.489dd9c2posting.google.com[/email], "fred freem"
    <fredfreemhotmail.com> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you might offer.
    >
    > Yes, I have the underdog G3 Series PB. What can I say, it was $30.00!
    >
    > It is sufferably slow, running OS 9.2.2 on only 32 mb of original RAM;
    > I know, a sorry state. I'm committed, though.
    >
    > I want to run OS X.
    >
    > Do you know of any problems installing a larger hard drive and more
    > than 192 mb of RAM in this cacheless mutt?
    >
    > Again, thank you for your time.
    >
    > Peace,
    > Fred
    It's easy to install ram and a new drive. My son's friend just purchased a
    233 WallStreet, and then my son installed 256 megs of ram and a 20 gig
    drive, and then installed system 10.2.6. It all works fine.

    Joe

    Joe Lorek Guest

  3. #3

    Le 06/08/03 04:20, dans [email]5034b6cd.0308051820.489dd9c2posting.google.com[/email],
    «fred freem» <fredfreemhotmail.com> a écrit:
    > Hello
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you might offer.
    >
    > Yes, I have the underdog G3 Series PB. What can I say, it was $30.00!
    >
    > It is sufferably slow, running OS 9.2.2 on only 32 mb of original RAM;
    > I know, a sorry state. I'm committed, though.
    >
    > I want to run OS X.
    >
    > Do you know of any problems installing a larger hard drive and more
    > than 192 mb of RAM in this cacheless mutt?
    >
    > Again, thank you for your time.
    >
    > Peace,
    > Fred
    no sure exactly what you have, I have the Wallstreet 300mgh, but what I say
    below applies to the 266, 250 and probably 2whatever.l..

    - the machine runs fine, fast even, with the full 512 ram
    - use the latest OSX, do not install 9 (Classic)
    - I am even using a 4 gig drive, by copying heavy stuff (photos) to a cdrom,
    I get by, but you can easily put in a 10, 20, 30, 40 gig drive, do a search
    on the web, there is one restriction, the OS must be installed on the first
    8 gigs for this machine only, you need to partition...

    I love my machine, have the money to buy a new pbook but am waiting as this
    machine does everything I need (buy the macally pc card usb, plug a usb hub
    into it (Grrifin), you will have all the usb ports you need... the only
    thing I don't have is firewire (you can get a pcfirewire card but I doubt it
    is worth it, would be slow I suspect) and for the first time with isight and
    ichat, I have an apple applic that will not run properly on the machine, but
    it is the only one...

    Donald Smith Guest

  4. #4

    In article <5034b6cd.0308051820.489dd9c2posting.google.com >,
    [email]fredfreemhotmail.com[/email] (fred freem) wrote:
    > Do you know of any problems installing a larger hard drive and more
    > than 192 mb of RAM in this cacheless mutt?
    There was something about certain HD's and sleep on this machine. If
    you put a paper clip on the lower right portion of the frame around the
    screen, you will note that it sticks. There's a magnet there that the
    machine uses to determine if the lid is closed. Some drives interfere
    with this mechanism and causes the machine to think the lid is closed
    when it isn't (or the other way around). Having said that, installation
    is easy. Just be gentle with the connector.

    Some people have had problems with RAM in excess of 256MB with OSX on
    Wallstreet machines.

    Richard
    Richard Chang Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1fz9ywn.1x94kl91lh18b6N%moimapetitentreprise.inv alid>,
    [email]moimapetitentreprise.inva[/email]lid (Alain OLIVIER) wrote:
    > Why didn't you choose the G4 upgrade? It works great in mine. :)
    'cause. I didn't want to spend the extra money, IIRC.

    --
    Today, on Paper-view: Pulp Fiction!
    Howard S Shubs Guest

  6. #6

    In article <060820030954595925%thomasareeddont.spam.me>,
    Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    > One tip -- on certain old machines, like the Wallstreet, OS X *must*
    > reside within the first 8 GB of the drive. So what you'll need to do
    > is partition your drive into an 8 GB portion as the first partition.
    > Then install OS X on the 8 GB partition.
    Close. The partition must be entirely in the first 8GB of the drive.
    Since there are other things before the first user partition, the first
    partition can be no bigger than around 7.5GB. Be aware.

  7. #7

    In article <5034b6cd.0308051820.489dd9c2posting.google.com >,
    [email]fredfreemhotmail.com[/email] (fred freem) wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you might offer.
    >
    > Yes, I have the underdog G3 Series PB. What can I say, it was $30.00!
    >
    > It is sufferably slow, running OS 9.2.2 on only 32 mb of original RAM;
    > I know, a sorry state. I'm committed, though.
    >
    > I want to run OS X.
    >
    > Do you know of any problems installing a larger hard drive and more
    > than 192 mb of RAM in this cacheless mutt?
    I'm typeing this on a 233MHz Wallstreet (w/cache) running OS 10.2.6. It
    has a 40Gb HD and 320Mb RAM. The RAM is a real inexpensive upgrade for
    these machines.

    My wife and I obtained this WS and another for free from her work as
    they were too "Old". Upgrading the memory really improves these
    machines a lot.

    I bid on a WS on e-bay that had a bad screen. It had a processor
    upgrade I was planning on getting it just for that. There is an upgrade
    available for it that is about $400. I don't think I want to pay that
    much to boost the performance.

    You do have to partition the HD to 8Gb and whatever for OS X. The lower
    memory slot requires a low profile module.

    I have an Orinoco wireless card installed. It requires a driver from
    either SourceForge or IOXperts.

    I recently had a probblem with the screen staying dark after waking up.
    Restarting in OS 9.2.2 fixed it.

    Installation was pretty straight forward.

    --
    Clark Martin

    Clark Martin Guest

  8. #8

    In article <howard-2CEB48.21390706082003enews.newsguy.com>,
    Howard S Shubs <howardshubs.net> wrote:
    > In article <060820030954595925%thomasareeddont.spam.me>,
    > Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    >
    > > One tip -- on certain old machines, like the Wallstreet, OS X *must*
    > > reside within the first 8 GB of the drive. So what you'll need to do
    > > is partition your drive into an 8 GB portion as the first partition.
    > > Then install OS X on the 8 GB partition.
    >
    > Close. The partition must be entirely in the first 8GB of the drive.
    > Since there are other things before the first user partition, the first
    > partition can be no bigger than around 7.5GB. Be aware.
    Mines 7.81 Gb.

    --
    Clark Martin

    Clark Martin Guest

  9. #9

    In article <chang-79A2DB.09462406082003news.comcast.giganews.com>,
    Richard Chang <changnospam.com> wrote:
    > In article <5034b6cd.0308051820.489dd9c2posting.google.com >,
    > [email]fredfreemhotmail.com[/email] (fred freem) wrote:
    >
    > > Do you know of any problems installing a larger hard drive and more
    > > than 192 mb of RAM in this cacheless mutt?
    >
    > There was something about certain HD's and sleep on this machine. If
    > you put a paper clip on the lower right portion of the frame around the
    > screen, you will note that it sticks. There's a magnet there that the
    > machine uses to determine if the lid is closed. Some drives interfere
    > with this mechanism and causes the machine to think the lid is closed
    > when it isn't (or the other way around). Having said that, installation
    > is easy. Just be gentle with the connector.
    It thinks it's closed when it's open. It won't come out of sleep
    because of it. I have such a drive. I haven't done anything about it,
    I've found that turning the PB around on the table clears it. I figure
    it's the Earth's magnetic field clearing it. Also swiping a magnet by
    it clears it.

    --
    Clark Martin

    Clark Martin Guest

  10. #10

    In article <cmnews-991F60.20365207082003typhoon.sonic.net>,
    Clark Martin <cmnewssonic.net> wrote:
    > Mines 7.81 Gb.
    I didn't play with it that long.

  11. #11

    In article <5034b6cd.0308071127.afc3c78posting.google.com> ,
    [email]fredfreemhotmail.com[/email] (fred freem) wrote:

    > But, there is another question which I feel I have to ask:
    >
    > Apple's specs on Wallstreet RAM is SO-DIMM 144pin PC-66 SDRAM.
    >
    > Yet, RAMJET posts their config as: 144pin, PC-100 SDRAM, on
    > [url]http://www.ramjet.com/ItemDescr.asp?Item=G3W256L[/url]
    >
    > So, what's the deal? I'm having a hell of a time finding PC-100 RAM,
    > let alone 66 mhz RAM; it is a lot easier finding PC-133 RAM.
    >
    > What is the best to use? I want to jack it up as high as it can go, of
    > course.
    Just call up one of these places and talk to a human being. Tell them
    your PB model and they'll give you RAM that works. If it doesn't, it's
    their fault and you can send it back for free. I will only deal with
    companies that take back their RAM that doesn't work.

    Richard
    Richard Chang Guest

  12. #12

    Richard Chang <changnospam.com> wrote:
    > Some people have had problems with RAM in excess of 256MB with OSX on
    > Wallstreet machines.
    Brands, References, URLs? Wasn't this due to that one of the chips was
    nonworking? Why would just a few Wallstreet owners have problems with
    this? If there are such people, determining what brands are involved and
    at what slot they sit would be useful.
    Mikael Bystroem Guest

  13. #13

    Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    > Although it won't run
    > 10.3 when that comes out, you'll still be able to use it for years with
    > 10.2.
    Where did this info come from? Did it really come from Apple? Panther
    won't run on Wallstreets? Why? What will be the oldest model it will run
    on then?
    I mean, Wallstreets are definitely one of the models that most need the
    speed update that Panther provides so what a bummer if what you hint is
    true.
    Mikael Bystroem Guest

  14. #14

    In article <1fzdnaa.fzacl21x7wn3tN%mikael.lastnamemac.com> , Mikael
    Bystroem <mikael.lastnamemac.com> wrote:
    > > Although it won't run
    > > 10.3 when that comes out, you'll still be able to use it for years with
    > > 10.2.
    >
    > Where did this info come from? Did it really come from Apple? Panther
    > won't run on Wallstreets?
    That's what I hear, but I'm afraid I don't remember where I heard it
    and can't find a verification on Apple's site. So it's third-hand info
    by now, which does make it worth less.
    > Why? What will be the oldest model it will run
    > on then?
    What I heard was that the PowerBooks with USB and/or FireWire would be
    the oldest supported models now, though I don't have exact details, of
    course.

    Can't comment on why, since I can barely comment third-hand on the
    rest! :-)

    --
    -Thomas

    <http://www.bitjuggler.com/>
    Thomas Reed Guest

  15. #15

    In article <1fzdn5v.1xedigh1fvkn9mN%mikael.lastnamemac.com >,
    [email]mikael.lastnamemac.com[/email] (Mikael Bystroem) wrote:
    > Richard Chang <changnospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Some people have had problems with RAM in excess of 256MB with OSX on
    > > Wallstreet machines.
    >
    > Brands, References, URLs? Wasn't this due to that one of the chips was
    > nonworking? Why would just a few Wallstreet owners have problems with
    > this? If there are such people, determining what brands are involved and
    > at what slot they sit would be useful.
    Me and some other guys in this NG (look on Google Groups). The 10.2
    installer is really the test. I cannot finish the OSX installation with
    the 256M DIMM installed. When I swap it out, no problem. I got the
    vendor to give me a new DIMM, but the problem persists. Some people
    stuff the 256M DIMM back in after installation. I'd rather live with a
    more stable computer.

    I did not have these problems with OS X 10.1.x.

    My system is a PBG3 Wallstreet I 250MHz (the model with the 83MHz bus).

    I bought the DIMM from Data Memory Systems. I consider them a
    reputable firm and had not had any trouble with them before. Their
    customer service was also great when I had to do the returns.

    BTW, my original Bondi Blue 233MHz iMac also had the same problem. I
    had random shut offs with a 256Meg + 128Meg DIMMs installed. I replaced
    the 256Meg DIMM with a 128Meg DIMM and the problems went away. (Actually
    the 128Meg DIMM was from my PBTi. I got so frustrated I just shoved the
    DIMM in without checking for compatibility. I haven't had any problems.)

    Richard
    Richard Chang Guest