Professional Web Applications Themes

Powerbook G4 - Recovering Data from Hard Drive - Mac Applications & Software

My Powerbook G4 running the latest version of Jaguar no longer boots up. It crashed when I was rotating some photos in iPhoto. The computer stalled for a long time. I tried to Force Quit, but it would not let me. I finally decided to do a hard reset. When I attempted to boot, a little icon showed up depicting a missing operating system. I am guessing that the hard drive went bad, or the operating system went wacko. Is there any way I can retreive the information on the hard drive, particularly the pictures in iPhoto? TIA....

  1. #1

    Default Powerbook G4 - Recovering Data from Hard Drive

    My Powerbook G4 running the latest version of Jaguar no longer boots
    up. It crashed when I was rotating some photos in iPhoto. The
    computer stalled for a long time. I tried to Force Quit, but it would
    not let me. I finally decided to do a hard reset. When I attempted
    to boot, a little icon showed up depicting a missing operating system.
    I am guessing that the hard drive went bad, or the operating system
    went wacko. Is there any way I can retreive the information on the
    hard drive, particularly the pictures in iPhoto? TIA.
    ice Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Powerbook G4 - Recovering Data from Hard Drive

    [email]icemanidd[/email] (ice) wrote in message news:<197fef6d.0307080614.22a59891posting.google. com>...
    > My Powerbook G4 running the latest version of Jaguar no longer boots
    > up. It crashed when I was rotating some photos in iPhoto. The
    > computer stalled for a long time. I tried to Force Quit, but it would
    > not let me. I finally decided to do a hard reset. When I attempted
    > to boot, a little icon showed up depicting a missing operating system.
    > I am guessing that the hard drive went bad, or the operating system
    > went wacko. Is there any way I can retreive the information on the
    > hard drive, particularly the pictures in iPhoto? TIA.
    I actually don't know anyone with a Mac here at the moment. I am
    momentarily in a country where Mac's are not supported as well as
    PC's. I may have to wait until I get back to the States to get my
    problem fixed. It is a shame that I did not bring boot disks.

    Anyone know of any good data recovery software? Any comments on
    Virtual Lab? Also, know of any reliable and cheap data recovery
    places in the Silicon Valley for when I get back? TIA.
    ice Guest

  3. #3

    In article <197fef6d.0307132155.5c932337posting.google.com >,
    [email]icemanidd[/email] (ice) wrote:
    > [email]icemanidd[/email] (ice) wrote in message
    > news:<197fef6d.0307080614.22a59891posting.google. com>...
    > > My Powerbook G4 running the latest version of Jaguar no longer boots
    > > up. It crashed when I was rotating some photos in iPhoto. The
    > > computer stalled for a long time. I tried to Force Quit, but it would
    > > not let me. I finally decided to do a hard reset. When I attempted
    > > to boot, a little icon showed up depicting a missing operating system.
    > > I am guessing that the hard drive went bad, or the operating system
    > > went wacko. Is there any way I can retreive the information on the
    > > hard drive, particularly the pictures in iPhoto? TIA.
    >
    > I actually don't know anyone with a Mac here at the moment. I am
    > momentarily in a country where Mac's are not supported as well as
    > PC's. I may have to wait until I get back to the States to get my
    > problem fixed. It is a shame that I did not bring boot disks.
    >
    > Anyone know of any good data recovery software? Any comments on
    > Virtual Lab? Also, know of any reliable and cheap data recovery
    > places in the Silicon Valley for when I get back? TIA.
    Usually running Disk Warrior off the CD should bring back your data (and
    the operating system etc).

    HTH

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy

  4. #4

    Marc Heusser wrote:
    > Usually running Disk Warrior off the CD should bring back your data (and
    > the operating system etc).
    Unless it's a hardware problem, of course. And this sounds like a
    hardware problem to me for some reason.

    But DW is a good investment in any case...

    Steven Fisher Guest

  5. #5

    Marc Heusser <marc.heusserCHEERSheusser.comMERCIALSPAMMERS.inv alid> wrote in message news:<marc.heusser-1C6E9F.08443414072003news.bluewin.ch>...
    > In article <197fef6d.0307132155.5c932337posting.google.com >,
    > [email]icemanidd[/email] (ice) wrote:
    >
    > > [email]icemanidd[/email] (ice) wrote in message
    > > news:<197fef6d.0307080614.22a59891posting.google. com>...
    > > > My Powerbook G4 running the latest version of Jaguar no longer boots
    > > > up. It crashed when I was rotating some photos in iPhoto. The
    > > > computer stalled for a long time. I tried to Force Quit, but it would
    > > > not let me. I finally decided to do a hard reset. When I attempted
    > > > to boot, a little icon showed up depicting a missing operating system.
    > > > I am guessing that the hard drive went bad, or the operating system
    > > > went wacko. Is there any way I can retreive the information on the
    > > > hard drive, particularly the pictures in iPhoto? TIA.
    > >
    > > I actually don't know anyone with a Mac here at the moment. I am
    > > momentarily in a country where Mac's are not supported as well as
    > > PC's. I may have to wait until I get back to the States to get my
    > > problem fixed. It is a shame that I did not bring boot disks.
    > >
    > > Anyone know of any good data recovery software? Any comments on
    > > Virtual Lab? Also, know of any reliable and cheap data recovery
    > > places in the Silicon Valley for when I get back? TIA.
    >
    > Usually running Disk Warrior off the CD should bring back your data (and
    > the operating system etc).
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Marc
    Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to check it out! It looks like
    quite a deal on their website.
    ice Guest

  6. #6

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 15:14:51 +0100, ice wrote:

    It's probably the HD that's gone bad. Boot from the Jaguar CD and use Disk
    Utility (in the File menu) and repair the disk. It should be OK then.

    Or use another disk repair program, ie. Diskwarrior.
    --
    Regards,
    Micheal Hutchison

    Mike Guest

  7. #7

    You can make use of [url=http://www.powerbookrecovery.net]Powerbook recovery[/url] software
    sannyfairy is offline Junior Member
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2

  8. #8

    Yes, definitely you can easily retrieve the information stored on the hard drive by making use of [url=http://www.powerbookrecovery.net]Powerbook recovery[/url] software. this tool is capable enough to recover all the data from the hard drive completely in least amount of time period.