Professional Web Applications Themes

powerchute on SCO 5.0.5 - SCO

I'm planning to setup the "powerchte plus" software from APC on my SCO 3.2 5.0.5 box so that it shutdowns the machine in case the power runs out in case of a black out, Has anybody experienced any thing related to the parachute software that will help me choose to use it or to forget about it ? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default powerchute on SCO 5.0.5

    I'm planning to setup the "powerchte plus" software from APC on my SCO 3.2
    5.0.5 box so that it shutdowns the machine in case the power runs out in
    case of a black out, Has anybody experienced any thing related to the
    parachute software that will help me choose to use it or to forget about it
    ?

    Thanks

    Enrique Arredondo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: powerchute on SCO 5.0.5

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:22:43 GMT, "Enrique Arredondo"
    <atksbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >I'm planning to setup the "powerchte plus" software from APC on my SCO 3.2
    >5.0.5 box so that it shutdowns the machine in case the power runs out in
    >case of a black out, Has anybody experienced any thing related to the
    >parachute software that will help me choose to use it or to forget about it
    >?
    >
    >Thanks

    I've used it in the past - Worked as advertised. I tried to use the
    latest version earlier this week, and found that they did away with
    the command-line interface for configuration. Something is wrong with
    my X setup on that box, so I had no way of configuring the software.

    If it does not work out for you, the removal is quite efficient and
    painless, so there's no harm in trying it out.

    Scott McMillan

    Scott McMillan Guest

  3. #3

    Scott McMillan <smcmusa.net> wrote in message news:<86r7jvck4rna04u3r6i14a2npi8heamude4ax.com>. ..
    > On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:22:43 GMT, "Enrique Arredondo"
    > <atksbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm planning to setup the "powerchte plus" software from APC on my SCO 3.2
    > >5.0.5 box so that it shutdowns the machine in case the power runs out in
    > >case of a black out, Has anybody experienced any thing related to the
    > >parachute software that will help me choose to use it or to forget about it
    > >?
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >

    > I've used it in the past - Worked as advertised. I tried to use the
    > latest version earlier this week, and found that they did away with
    > the command-line interface for configuration. Something is wrong with
    > my X setup on that box, so I had no way of configuring the software.
    >
    > If it does not work out for you, the removal is quite efficient and
    > painless, so there's no harm in trying it out.
    >

    > Scott McMillan
    Hello Scott and Enrique,

    I had the same problem configuring powerchute without X being setup,
    so I configured via vi. I didn't need X to install, but maybe that
    has changed since.

    I think you'll be able to figure out what to change in
    /usr/lib/powerchute/powerchute.ini (IIRC)
    I think this is the only file you need to worry about.

    Be careful, I think some values are in minutes, some in seconds; it's
    been
    a while since I tried it, so I might be wrong on this.

    Enrique, be sure you have the right cable. It depends on whether you
    have
    a "Smart"UPS or a "Back"UPS. I can't remember the p/n, but black is
    smart and gray is dumb. And make sure the cable is for SCO. I had
    great confusion once when a customer was using the wrong cable, I
    think it was for AIX, and it would occasionally shut off power without
    warning.

    Good luck,
    Dan
    Dan Martin Guest

  4. #4

    If you can , use an older version of Powerchute Software.
    Instead of the one supplied with new APC Battery

    "Enrique Arredondo" <net> wrote in message
    it

    Patrice Guest

  5. #5

    I was using APC Smart UPS attach to my HP LH4r NetServer, when I install
    the software it running fine, and I follow default when power failure
    will shutdown SCO automatically.

    After a week, powerchute daemon simply send shutdown signal to my
    server and cause reboot quite often. When I remove powerchute
    software, my server running fine. :)

    I'm not sure what about you guys situation, if possible, let me know
    ok?

    Yes, the powerchute GUI given some problem, it will close the GUI
    automatically also.

    irontech Guest

  6. #6

    I never had any problems with the PowerChute software. Hell, it even saved
    a server.

    Y.

    "irontech" <com> wrote in message

    Yves Guest