Professional Web Applications Themes

Powerpoint fails to show illustrator EMF pictures embedded in the ppt files - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I use Illustrator 10.0.3 to create drawings and charts for use in powerpoint slides. To preserve the quality, I export them as EMFs (enhanced metafiles), so they can be read as emfs by msoffice applications using the paste special option. The problem started when I upgrade my office xp to office 2003. Description of the problem: Powerpoint 2003 fails to show EMF pictures embedded in the ppt files. It only shows the frame of the picture with a red cross and the words ADOBE SYSTEMS. I had installed all the service packs and updates available for office 2003. I tried ...

  1. #1

    Default Powerpoint fails to show illustrator EMF pictures embedded in the ppt files

    I use Illustrator 10.0.3 to create drawings and charts for use in powerpoint slides. To preserve the quality, I export them as EMFs (enhanced metafiles), so they can be read as emfs by msoffice applications using the paste special option. The problem started when I upgrade my office xp to office 2003.
    Description of the problem:
    Powerpoint 2003 fails to show EMF pictures embedded in the ppt files. It only shows the frame of the picture with a red cross and the words ADOBE SYSTEMS. I had installed all the service packs and updates available for office 2003. I tried to open the ppt files in other computers running office 2000 and it worked fine in some computers but not in others. So it suggests that this problem is not specific to a particular office version. It does not make sense! Does anybody encounter similar problems?
    Any ideas of how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

    Jose Tello

    Software info. and system configuration
    ILLUSTRATOR 10.0.3
    WIN XP PRO SP1
    1 GB RAM
    768 MB RAM
    ATI M RADEON 9000

    Sincerely,

    Jose Tello
    Jose_Tello@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    I have found PowerPoint's renderring of WMFs and EMFs leaved a great deal to be desired. I prefer to let Illustrator render the artwork as 24-bit PNGs with 8-bit transparency.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Jose,

    See "MS Win Update KB835732 causes problems with Illustrator EMF display in Office" 4/26/04 5:53pm </cgi-bin/webx?13.2cd13792/6>.

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Harron,

    Thanks a lot!!!!!!! My friend!! I uninstalled the MS Win Update KB835732 and it solved the problem. You don't know how much time and sleep this has caused to me. I have about 50 files that would have to have been modified if I did not get the solution.

    Cheers,

    Jose
    Jose_Tello@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Glad to have been of assistance, my friend.

  6. #6

    BEWARE:

    The problem still exists if you send the PPT to anyone else that has NOT uninstalled that security patch -- they too will have the problem with your file! In other words, the file is independent of the computer and so you can't guarantee that the file will display and print correctly on other PCs.

    There are two workarounds:

    1) Convert the graphics to transparent PNG files.

    2) Or, if the graphic is fairly simple (no drop shadows, complex clipping paths, etc.), you can convert the EMF to a Microsoft Picture within PowerPoint by right-clicking the placed metafile and choose Edit Picture. A side benefit for this procedure is that it will dramatically improve the look on screen by anti-aliasing the curves, which may be very important for slideshows. It has no effect on printing (prints the same either way).
    Eric_Schwartz@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=840997>
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest