Professional Web Applications Themes

PowerPoint to InDesign - Adobe Indesign Windows

I am desperately trying to import PowerPoint slides that include pie charts into InDesign. The problem is that I only need to export the black plate. The grays in the pieces of the pie chart disappear when I do that so all my pie is black and white. When I export the all plates to PDF, the PowerPoint slides come out unreadable when they looked fine in InDesign. I have tried importing as .eps and .ai and no luck. Ideas? I appreciate any help!...

  1. #1

    Default PowerPoint to InDesign

    Sharon_Berry@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PowerPoint to InDesign

    Print the PP slides to postscript using a grayscale printer PPD. Distill
    that into a PDF and then place the PDFs in ID.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    That worked! Thanks!

    Now, do you know how to export only one color to PDF? I need to export the black plate only. Currently, I do it the hard way. I save a separate version and delete all color items. Not exactly efficient.
    Sharon_Berry@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    You'd have to drop those PDFs into ID, then print to Adobe PDF or
    Distiller. Choose separations and turn off the other inks.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  5. #5

    I'm not sure that will give you exactly what you're looking for. The
    PDFs from PowerPoint will be RGB so even the blacks will wind up on all
    four plates.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  6. #6

    Bob's right. PowerPoint knows no "black plate."
    John Mensinger Guest

  7. #7

    Ok. Now, not looking at PP, do you know how to export black plate only from InDesign to PDF? I know how to view just the black plate in InDesign but I don't know how to export just the black plate. Any help would be terrific!
    Sharon_Berry@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Sharon,

    assuming that the result should be a pure Grayscale (images)
    and Black (text) PDF:

    1. Assemble everything without changes in ID.
    2. Export to PDF (Leave Color Unchanged).
    3. Convert the whole stuff to Grayscale (images) and Black
    (text) by Quite a Box of Tricks
    <http://www.quite.com>
    Trial version is free.

    Result is a K-only PDF. Of course, color ingredients are
    replaced by gray or black ...

    By the way: different colors in diagrams can deliver the
    same gray results.

    Second question:
    The black plate is exported by printing to file, as separa-
    tions, using Acrobat Distiller PS Printer Driver. Then distill.
    Eventually resulting empty pages C,M,Y can be deleted or ignored
    (not used). This will show whether CMY plates are really empty.

    Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann
    Gernot_Hoffmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Not with export. You'd have to print separations to distiller or Adobe
    PDF and turn off the CMY plates with the ink manager.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks Bob. I export the separations and some pages turn out fine, but some keep the color + black. How do I turn off the CMY plates in the ink manager? TIA.
    Sharon_Berry@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Just turn them off. There are check boxes that aren't very obvious on
    the left side of the colors.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  12. #12

    Genius! Thanks. I'm not sure why I didn't think to click those printer icons. One more question ... is there a way to export only the all black items? Meaning, some items--such as a logo--contain some black. I want only all black items. So ... text, a few grayscale photos, etc.
    Sharon_Berry@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Not that I know of.

    Bob