Professional Web Applications Themes

PPI / DPI / Output size / Scanned Size HELPPPPPPPPPPP - Photography

I have bought one scanner so far and returned it was a HP4570C. The negatives were to hard to work with it needs some mechanical refinement. I would like to be able to scan negatives to create pictures that can be printed at 8 x 10 on a laser color printer. I am doing this as a home hobbyist at the best. I have been reading about Dots per inch / pixels per inch / output size / and scan size and am going Nucking Futs. What resolution do I need to scan a 35mm negative at to get acceptable ...

  1. #1

    Default PPI / DPI / Output size / Scanned Size HELPPPPPPPPPPP

    I have bought one scanner so far and returned it was a HP4570C. The
    negatives were to hard to work with it needs some mechanical refinement. I
    would like to be able to scan negatives to create pictures that can be
    printed at 8 x 10 on a laser color printer. I am doing this as a home
    hobbyist at the best. I have been reading about Dots per inch / pixels per
    inch / output size / and scan size and am going Nucking Futs. What
    resolution do I need to scan a 35mm negative at to get acceptable an 8 x 10
    print? I consider acceptable not being able to tell the difference by eye
    between using a negative and the digital file used to make an 8 x 10 print.
    If my printer is capable of 2400DPI should I scan at say 2500 DPI to ensure
    maximum resolution? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    "Chris" <junkcrap.com> wrote in message
    > I have bought one scanner so far and returned it was a HP4570C. The
    > negatives were to hard to work with it needs some mechanical refinement. I
    > would like to be able to scan negatives to create pictures that can be
    > printed at 8 x 10 on a laser color printer. I am doing this as a home
    > hobbyist at the best. I have been reading about Dots per inch / pixels per
    > inch / output size / and scan size and am going Nucking Futs. What
    > resolution do I need to scan a 35mm negative at to get acceptable an 8 x
    10
    > print? I consider acceptable not being able to tell the difference by eye
    > between using a negative and the digital file used to make an 8 x 10
    print.
    > If my printer is capable of 2400DPI should I scan at say 2500 DPI to
    ensure
    > maximum resolution? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

    Print Calculator.
    [url]http://www.scantips.com/calc.html[/url]

    --
    CSM1
    [url]http://www.carlmcmillan.com[/url]

    CSM1 Guest

  3. #3

    On 13-Jul-2003, "Chris" <junkcrap.com> wrote:
    > I have bought one scanner so far and returned it was a HP4570C. The
    > negatives were to hard to work with it needs some mechanical refinement. I
    > would like to be able to scan negatives to create pictures that can be
    > printed at 8 x 10 on a laser color printer. I am doing this as a home
    > hobbyist at the best. I have been reading about Dots per inch / pixels per
    > inch / output size / and scan size and am going Nucking Futs. What
    > resolution do I need to scan a 35mm negative at to get acceptable an 8 x
    > 10
    > print? I consider acceptable not being able to tell the difference by eye
    > between using a negative and the digital file used to make an 8 x 10
    > print.
    > If my printer is capable of 2400DPI should I scan at say 2500 DPI to
    > ensure
    > maximum resolution? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
    PPI is DPI for almost every use except the DPI ratings on inkjet printers
    which are useless.

    If your printer needs 600 ppi an 8x10 print would need 8*600 x 10*600 pixels
    (pixels per inch times inches = pixels) or 4800x6000 pixels. A 35mm frame is
    36x24mm or 1.42x0.94 inches. To get the required pixels you need to scan the
    35mm neg at the larger of 6000/1.42 (4225) or 4800/0.94 (4512) (pixels
    divided by inches = pixels per inch).

    I would go for a 300 ppi file. Scan your negatives at 2400 ppi and crop them
    to 2400x3000 pixels. 300ppi is good for most printers.

    [url]http://www.scantips.com/[/url] is a very useful site for this type of information.

    --
    Tom Thackrey
    [url]www.creative-light.com[/url]

  4. #4

    If you scan at the highest resolution and use a Program like Qimage to do
    the printing you don't have to worry about resizing. Qimage does all the
    work for you.

    Barry.

    "Chris" <junkcrap.com> wrote in message
    > I have bought one scanner so far and returned it was a HP4570C. The
    > negatives were to hard to work with it needs some mechanical refinement. I
    > would like to be able to scan negatives to create pictures that can be
    > printed at 8 x 10 on a laser color printer. I am doing this as a home
    > hobbyist at the best. I have been reading about Dots per inch / pixels per
    > inch / output size / and scan size and am going Nucking Futs. What
    > resolution do I need to scan a 35mm negative at to get acceptable an 8 x
    10
    > print? I consider acceptable not being able to tell the difference by eye
    > between using a negative and the digital file used to make an 8 x 10
    print.
    > If my printer is capable of 2400DPI should I scan at say 2500 DPI to
    ensure
    > maximum resolution? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

    Barry Parker Guest